Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 19, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #7,397 of 8,007
seeing all these makes me want to give code 23 a go
Code 23 is an amazing cable but the ergo is really something you have to live with. It is not Brise Audio Murakumo 2 levels but it is a chonk nevertheless!

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #7,398 of 8,007
Code 23 is an amazing cable but the ergo is really something you have to live with. It is not Brise Audio Murakumo 2 levels but it is a chonk nevertheless!
yea one of the reason why im contemplating, but I guess with how thick the cable is there could be some pros of it like the manageability of the cable (saw it in someone's review)

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #7,399 of 8,007
yea one of the reason why im contemplating, but I guess with how thick the cable is there could be some pros of it like the manageability of the cable (saw it in someone's review)

I guess I am one of those rare few who actually praised the superb manageability and excellent ergonomics of Code 23. It had been my daily go-to cable when I walk around the city since I got it to pair with my Craft Ears Aurum - totally unbeatable combo.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #7,400 of 8,007
20230920_180956.jpg

Can't stop listening to this combo. The bass, the spaciousness, the separation and then the crystal like clap beats. :grimacing:

looped like 10 times.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #7,401 of 8,007
Effect Audio Cables – Australian Tour Impressions

Cables – do they make a difference…? I’ve been on the fence about this for a long time, ‘bad’ cables’ certainly do, and I think that you can get small changes after a certain level of quality, but there is always the worry that it’s just a bias based on the money spent. Also, people generally have positive impressions about the cables they buy, this doesn’t sit quite right with me – there shouldn’t always be an upside (I know I’m generalising here, but on average it’s a positive experience).

I’ve bought my fair share of aftermarket cables, nothing super expensive but notably I have Silver Dragon v3 for my Sony MDR-Z1R, Eros S that I use on my Fir Audio Kr5, the Meze PCUHD Premium Cable for my Meze Liric/109Pro, and a bunch of other cables I’ve bought over the years made of copper, silver, kryptonite (:wink:) etc. I’ve noticed subtle changes when using them however generally they are just more aesthetically pleasing than the stock cables (Silver Dragon being the one I probably regret, no issues with the sound but it’s not exactly pleasant to use and was quite expensive) – in general I don’t think a cable will fix a bad headphone / IEM, however it can improve an already great headphone / IEM.

Anyway… I had the opportunity to spend time with three of the Effect Audio cables, namely Ares S 8w, Cadmus 8w, and Code 23, along with the Gaea again. Thanks to Effect Audio (@JordonEA), and the amazing @Damz87, for the Australian tour. All thoughts are my own and are in no way influenced.

Build: All of the cables were high quality, they had a bit of wear on them but very similar to how my Eros S is now. The 8W ones are big, the Code 23 is insane. I don’t think I could get on with the Code 23 long term personally, it’s just too thick for me. For IEM’s which are often used on the go you just wouldn’t use this – for a home setup it’d be OK. I didn’t find the 8W ones especially comfortable either and would probably prefer their 4W counterparts from an ownership point of view. The TermX and ConX are fantastic and should be adopted across the industry as a standard. Cases for the 8W are nice (same as my Eros S), the Code 23 had packaging to match it's thickness.

Sound Impressions: I used the included Gaea for the comparisons, I enjoyed my time with it originally and thought it would be good to use something I’m not overly familiar with. I used my FiiO Q7 to drive.

Ares 8W and Cadmus 8W: The stock Gaea cable is quite nice and shifting over to these there were some subtle changes to the sound.
Ares 8W: Slightly thicker/warmer sound, boost from mid-bass through to lower mids. Soundstage expanded over stock cable, no change to imaging other than a little more air around instruments due to the expansion in the soundstage. Quite nice.

Cadmus 8W: Slightly brighter, soundstage changes were more perceptible than with the Ares 8W along with more depth which I didn’t pick up on the Ares 8W. Overall I preferred the Ares 8W to this one, only because I prefer a warmer sound.

Code 23: In terms of change in sound this is the largest impact I’ve had from any cable. Mids are noticeably thicker/warmer, bass/treble wasn’t noticeably different, but the real change is the soundstage. The change reminded me of what I heard from the Hifiman Audivina, stage is pushed back and it’s like you’re listening further back. To be honest, I didn’t actually like the change with the Gaea, if anything it was a little too dramatic and not what the Gaea needs. Paired with an IEM which doesn’t have a great soundstage already I think this would fare better. Although, if I ever want to prove to someone that a cable can make a difference I’d get them to try this out.

Final thoughts: I really appreciated having time to try these out. The Code 23 is such an interesting cable, I don’t think it will really appeal to many people due to its physical size, but in terms of changes due to a cable it’s undeniable. The Ares 8W and Cadmus 8W changes were much less substantial and are in line with what I generally get from a cable change, subtle changes in a particular direction. For all of them I’d recommend trying them out first if you can just due to the size of them. I'm looking forward to trying out the Fusion 1 in the future.

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #7,402 of 8,007
All these talk about Fusion 1 makes me so interested to try them out. It would be good to compare them against my legendary Chiron @JordonEA can I schedule a time to try them out at your office?

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #7,403 of 8,007

'Tis quite an amazing cable. Luckily I'm patient with and don't mind its ergonomics.

Early morning CODE 23 sesh with FiR XE6 + Cayin's N30LE in Hyper Tube Classic – sinking in warm beats. Now, tempted into give Fusion 1 a listen.

IMG_2859.png

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #7,404 of 8,007
All these talk about Fusion 1 makes me so interested to try them out. It would be good to compare them against my legendary Chiron @JordonEA can I schedule a time to try them out at your office?
@Mangodango369 Absolutely! You can hit me up anytime 😎

- Jordon

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Sep 22, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #7,405 of 8,007
Time for some bass heavy music with Code 23 and LX.

IMG_2560.jpeg

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #7,406 of 8,007
(Cross posting this here since I did some cable rolling with my fav Chiron baby)

I've managed to headover to my local retailer and tried the new Fei Wan from Aroma Audio. Did a A/B test with the Jewel. Here are my 2 cents! Not a pro in this so I'll try my best to explain what I heard.

20230923_162445.jpg

I went in blind without reading up the specs and was pleasantly surprised! The vocals was so much more engaging, so much more forward and full of life. It felt like a more musical version of the Jewel. Staging wise not as big as jewel but still good nonetheless. I was listening to cantonese pop music and went between deeper male vocals and the higher pitch thinner female vocals. Both sounded really good, but i would say female vocals are better. Not too sure if a longer listening session will make it too fatiguing. I think it would be fun to compare it against the Annihilator (from my memory the Annihilator sould be fuller sounding in the mid frequencies)

Then I swapped out the stock cable to my Chiron, ah ha! Now we are grooving!
20230923_163315.jpg

Immediately I could hear more note definition, especially the drums. Drums sounded so much more visceral and punchier. The vocalists voice had more grit and when he is belting out the higher notes, my face involuntarily scrunched up. I have no idea why that happened to me, does anyone here do that when you hear something really good? I hope i'm normal haha! Was listening to some of Beyond's rock songs and started grooving to the instrumental breaks (I hope no one is judging me in the shop)

I would choose the Fei Wan over Jewel mainly based on the type of songs i listen to. Anyone tried the Fei Wan?

Also my friend told me to try the Sharona and Sheena too. Tried it and it is really not my cup of tea.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #7,408 of 8,007
Just received the touring package for evaluation the Fusion 1, cadmus 8w and the real star of the show for me the Anniversary Eros S attached to my IMR Titan it's taken my favourite and most expensive iem to the next level opening the spacious stage even further forcing more nuances out of the music tightening the bass impact without losing any of the texture just breathtaking. I really wish I hadn't joined these 2 together as I can't unhear the obvious improvements to an already impressive iem adding the aesthetics and wonderful ergonomics
A true winner
20230926_124314~2.JPG

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #7,409 of 8,007
Just received the touring package for evaluation the Fusion 1, cadmus 8w and the real star of the show for me the Anniversary Eros S attached to my IMR Titan it's taken my favourite and most expensive iem to the next level opening the spacious stage even further forcing more nuances out of the music tightening the bass impact without losing any of the texture just breathtaking. I really wish I hadn't joined these 2 together as I can't unhear the obvious improvements to an already impressive iem adding the aesthetics and wonderful ergonomics
A true winner
I love Eros S as well! Pairs really nicely with U12t.

Ares S 8W is probably my next favorite. I didn’t enjoy Cadmus or Fusion 1 as much, at least with my stable of IEMs and sources.

Code 23 is great sonically as well.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #7,410 of 8,007
Been very happy with the Effect Audio 8wires from the Signature series, even if they are on the thick side they are fairly comfortable. Favorite might be the Eros S Anniversary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back