Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #4,591 of 7,919
2.5 is the yoga pants of the audio world - you really wouldn't want to see a grown man wearing it
LOL I love this metaphor man. Nevertheless, as a cable lover, I feel like using this convertor on your AK dap is literally wasting the potential of your cables. I would stay with 2.5 for all AK players cuz I don't want mixed materials during the sound transformation. All I could do is protect all my 2.5 connectors like a baby :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #4,592 of 7,919
I just received the AKA adapter today and I am absolutely stunned by the quality of the build and sound

Everything else equal (Noble Sultan IEM off the AK SR25), the AKA adapter presents the music with much better body and less peaky/harsh treble when comparing it to the DD HiFi adapter. Can't even make the case that my mind is making up the difference in the sense that parts of tracks that are somewhat sibilant with the DD HiFi adapter are perfectly and buttery smooth with the AKA.

Excellent work by EA, I look forward to demoing it with some of the more high end DAPs by AK - who knows, with this option being on the market I might be persuaded to replace my LPGT :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #4,593 of 7,919
I just received the AKA adapter today and I am absolutely stunned by the quality of the build and sound

Everything else equal (Noble Sultan IEM off the AK SR25), the AKA adapter presents the music with much better body and less peaky/harsh treble when comparing it to the DD HiFi adapter. Can't even make the case that my mind is making up the difference in the sense that parts of tracks that are somewhat sibilant with the DD HiFi adapter are perfectly and buttery smooth with the AKA.

Excellent work by EA, I look forward to demoing it with some of the more high end DAPs by AK - who knows, with this option being on the market I might be persuaded to replace my LPGT :)

The DD-HiFi adapter is only 4.4mm-to-2.5mm, right? They don't have the extra 3.5mm ground that the AKA has. That may explain most of the difference. My main concern with the AKA is if AK ever change the spacing between their 2.5mm and 3.5mm sockets. Then again, that may be reason for EA to develop an AKA 2. :wink:

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #4,594 of 7,919
The DD-HiFi adapter is only 4.4mm-to-2.5mm, right? They don't have the extra 3.5mm ground that the AKA has. That may explain most of the difference. My main concern with the AKA is if AK ever change the spacing between their 2.5mm and 3.5mm sockets. Then again, that may be reason for EA to develop an AKA 2. :wink:
yeah it's not really a fair comparison, especially considering the DD hifi one costs a solid 10-12 times less too. I am still a bit stunned in just how much of an improvement I noticed going from one to the other though, wasn't quite expecting it..

That's a potential concern though, and with the new Kann I have my fingers crossed they just stick to 4.4 :D

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #4,595 of 7,919
yeah it's not really a fair comparison, especially considering the DD hifi one costs a solid 10-12 times less too. I am still a bit stunned in just how much of an improvement I noticed going from one to the other though, wasn't quite expecting it..

That's a potential concern though, and with the new Kann I have my fingers crossed they just stick to 4.4 :D

I'd be beyond elated if AK permanently adopted 4.4mm and ditched the 2.5mm standard. I can finally consider AK DAPs to own again, and the world will finally be rid of the plug that even my meagre hands can snap like a twig. :D

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #4,596 of 7,919
I'd be beyond elated if AK permanently adopted 4.4mm and ditched the 2.5mm standard. I can finally consider AK DAPs to own again, and the world will finally be rid of the plug that even my meagre hands can snap like a twig. :D
Honestly as long as there's a uniform standard across the industry I'd be pretty happy. AK being the *only* company with 2.5, it would kinda make sense that they're the ones that adapt :D

I feel almost guilty saying this with my 15 Apple devices with their proprietary lightning port though :D

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #4,597 of 7,919
How much better is the Leonidas 2 than the original? I have the original on my Solaris 2020 and was thinking of getting the Leo2 or maybe something from Eletech though I’ve been a big fan of EA for years
I had my Leonidas reterminated to mmcx by Triton Audio and I really enjoy it. I’m not necessarily missing anything or find the Leonidas wanting, I had read a review and liked the sound of the supposed improvements. Just wondering if others have impressions of the 2 cables.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,598 of 7,919

I feel guilty about it, but I have had the AKA adapter lying around for a while now and only been able to have a look at it very, very briefly. I agree that it looks superb and fits great even on my old AK70.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #4,599 of 7,919
Hi all,
I am using my Fourte Noir with Leonidas II Octa, which already sounds great, but I still want to have a little bit more of the mid and high-mid ranges, and no more bass , no more treble. Specifically, I would like to look for a cable that can push the female vocals on my Fourte Noir somehow forward and slightly more outstanding without compromising the perfect soundstage. The current pair occasionally makes the female vocal sound weak and downplayed compared to the instruments. Will the Horus X be a better substitution of Leo II? Please share your ideas or any other recommendations. Thx a lot!

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #4,600 of 7,919
Hi all,
I am using my Fourte Noir with Leonidas II Octa, which already sounds great, but I still want to have a little bit more of the mid and high-mid ranges, and no more bass , no more treble. Specifically, I would like to look for a cable that can push the female vocals on my Fourte Noir somehow forward and slightly more outstanding without compromising the perfect soundstage. The current pair occasionally makes the female vocal sound weak and downplayed compared to the instruments. Will the Horus X be a better substitution of Leo II? Please share your ideas or any other recommendations. Thx a lot!

The Horus X/Octa would sound more refined imo, which means retaining all the clarity and stagesound quality found on the Leo II but with a more polished output.

Another cable to consider would be the Code 51.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #4,601 of 7,919
Hi all,

For a mid and high-mid emphasis, I actually like the Thor Silver II. Perhaps one in an 8-wire format could bring you the space and headroom you’re used to with the Octa as well.

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #4,602 of 7,919
Hi all,
Go for code 51. Horus will make mids more thin and transparent, which you wouldn't want for tia cuz its mids are thin enough. The reason I would recommend code 51 is this cable will slim down the body of bass (mid bass) a lot, which makes mids stand out more. Also it helps with making treble calm down a bit.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #4,603 of 7,919
Thanks for all the recommendations, really hope that i could have a chance to try and audit!
How likely would it be for Effect Audio to launch new cables later this year? I know the Code 51 was announced around Nov last year.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #4,604 of 7,919
Thanks for all the recommendations, really hope that i could have a chance to try and audit!
How likely would it be for Effect Audio to launch new cables later this year? I know the Code 51 was announced around Nov last year.
Stay tuned to this space :relaxed:

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #4,605 of 7,919
Currently using the EA Eros 2 with my u12t and SE200.

Lovely, but wandering if there's anything else I can consider to push me to the next sonic level??

Appreciate any recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back