Effect Audio cables thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #16 of 7,911
  Thank you for your answer, project86! I contacted Effect Audio and they recommended the Eros for my HD800 which they think is even better.
Hades by the way is the same as Thor - just sold in Japan.

I see, thanks. It's hard to predict what each cable will do with each headphone. Depends on the stock cable I suppose. 

Different names for the same cable in different regions? Effect should maybe stop that practice.... hard enough to keep track already without that curve ball in the mix. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 7,911
  I just published an article on the Effect Audio Mars and Leonidas, two of their premium cables

http://www.headfonia.com/review-effect-audio-mars-leonidas/

The thing I like about Effect audio is that they offer really good cables for low prices as well. They basically have something for every budget and they're still working on so many new things.
Does anyone here have the Leonidas or Mars?

Just sold my Mars to get a Leonidas, what you've said about the Leonidas having more body is definitely true!

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 7,911

Yes, Leonidas for sure is a better allrounder. lovely cable

From what I understand from your review Mars has a higher resolution right, would you say Leonidas is warmer or do they have a similar overall tone concerning warmth/brightness?

ps. Right before the conclusion you leave us with a bit of a cliffhanger, it ends with 'Leonidas is more forgiving and it isn't..' 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 7,911
  From what I understand from your review Mars has a higher resolution right, would you say Leonidas is warmer or do they have a similar overall tone concerning warmth/brightness?

ps. Right before the conclusion you leave us with a bit of a cliffhanger, it ends with 'Leonidas is more forgiving and it isn't..' 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry about that, no idea how I missed that. Thank you for telling me.
Leonidas isn't warm and Mars isn't either, they're both neutral in that regard. Mars just has lighter body and gives the impression of being a bit brighter because of the focus on higher mids, vocals and treble

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #21 of 7,911

Sorry about that, no idea how I missed that. Thank you for telling me.
Leonidas isn't warm and Mars isn't either, they're both neutral in that regard. Mars just has lighter body and gives the impression of being a bit brighter because of the focus on higher mids, vocals and treble

Got it, thanks. I'd be interested in either in the future, I have the feeling Leonidas is more popular at the moment from what I'm hearing.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #22 of 7,911
I did a critical listen to Leonidas. Would like to share my findings.

First of all, Leonidas is very easy to use outdoors. It is flexible enough and the conductors can be considered in lightweight class. Cosmetically, Leonidas is quite good.

In general, Leonidas improves almost every range of the spectrum, except the stage width . It does't change overall quantities of the frequencies much. In this regard, it is quite controlled and doesn't really put any frequency forward. The lows have better texture and resolution with a very little addition of warmth to the spectrum in accordance with the midrange fullness, but it cannot be completely considered as a warm cable. 

It has slightly fuller mids and better body in lower regions of the midrange's notes. In addition, Leonidas' overall tone is natural and note releasing is less stressed. 

More to come.. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 7,911

Yes, Leonidas for sure is a better allrounder. lovely cable

ps. Right before the conclusion you leave us with a bit of a cliffhanger, it ends with 'Leonidas is more forgiving and it isn't..' :)

Haha flinkenick if Leonidas is the one I think it is, you will love it! It's very VERY middly (or should I say very warm mids?). I tried it when I got my Cosmic Ears from Music Sanctuary and thought of you when I tried it! Needless to say, I stuck with my usual Eros silver + copper with balanced connector and no plans to change lol.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 7,911
Haha flinkenick if Leonidas is the one I think it is, you will love it! It's very VERY middly (or should I say very warm mids?). I tried it when I got my Cosmic Ears from Music Sanctuary and thought of you when I tried it! Needless to say, I stuck with my usual Eros silver + copper with balanced connector and no plans to change lol.

Sounds very interesting bud. Glad to see your Eros is sticking with you through thick and thin!

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 7,911
  Anyone has an Ares 2+ can give a mini review on how it sounds? Wanted to upgrade my Thor copper to Ares 2+ but don't really know how's the sound signature.

I felt that it made the bass response even stronger on my 64 Audio A8. There is a thickening of the sound, which I think would better suit iems with sound signature that is too thin in the midrange and treble. But it will not make the midrange more forward. And with what cable believers say about copper being "warm", I would say Ares 2+ is indeed not a harsh sounding cable upgrade.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #27 of 7,911

I felt that it made the bass response even stronger on my 64 Audio A8. There is a thickening of the sound, which I think would better suit iems with sound signature that is too thin in the midrange and treble. But it will not make the midrange more forward. And with what cable believers say about copper being "warm", I would say Ares 2+ is indeed not a harsh sounding cable upgrade.

Thanks! I am using a Jomo5 now which sounds great after upgrading to Thor copper from their stock cable. Really hope that the Ares 2+ will be a step up from it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #28 of 7,911
  Thanks! I am using a Jomo5 now which sounds great after upgrading to Thor copper from their stock cable. Really hope that the Ares 2+ will be a step up from it 
biggrin.gif

Recommend you audition it for yourself to see how you feel about the sound and the ergonomics and the thicker gauge of the cable. Ares 2+ is noticably thicker gauge than the SPC Thor Copper. I have myself wondered whether the thicker gauge contributes to the thicker sound signature.

I ordered mine via Music Sanctuary where you could audition it in person. I not auditioned Effect products at their own store/lounge or at other dealers so I cannot speak about experiences elsewhere.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #29 of 7,911

Recommend you audition it for yourself to see how you feel about the sound and the ergonomics and the thicker gauge of the cable. Ares 2+ is noticably thicker gauge than the SPC Thor Copper. I have myself wondered whether the thicker gauge contributes to the thicker sound signature.

I ordered mine via Music Sanctuary where you could audition it in person. I not auditioned Effect products at their own store/lounge or at other dealers so I cannot speak about experiences elsewhere.

Alrighty, thanks! I bought my Thor from Music Sanctuary as well (in person) since I had planned on buying it straight away if they had stock. I would probably order it from site without audition for it though since I need an extra cable anyways 

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #30 of 7,911
was testing the Zeus R today.. tried the aegis, ares 2, Thor silver, plus sound Exo silver Gold and gold plated silver, and then... The Leonidas... Eventually bought the Leonidas. It was just that extra oomph it gave me over the silver gold cable from plussound that won me over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back