Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,006 of 7,926
So, after just 10 days from order (including 2 weekends) I received my Horus. Presentation and build are absolutely top notch, the premium feel is obvious right from the unpackaging stage. Cable is very supple, much much more than the previous one I had, with no memory effect or microphonics whatsoever.
The included leather case is indeed quite big: impressive! Plenty of space for the cable itself with the LCDi4 attached, but no place for that T-divider, these IEMs are just too big to use it. Perhaps it would fit detaching the cable, but this isn't something I really want to do every time.
Still too early for proper sound comments, I just had a short listen but I can say I was rather impressed already. Meaty but at the same time with superb extension and naturalness. Let's see what burn-in brings.
Great you got it so quickly! That is one heck of a pairing you have there now! Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you have had more time with it.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,007 of 7,926
Sry, wanted to upload a picture but looks like I need an url to store it to.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,009 of 7,926
Let's see.
Btw, posts in this thread and EA's instructions seem to point at the EA having to be faced outwards, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the LCDi4. If I want to match the connector's groove with the tab on the LCDi4's end, I end up with the logo facing inwards and the L/R indication facing outwards.
Or should I just ignore that tab and still get the EA logo facing outwards? Perhaps @EffectAudio can help on this?

Attachments

• IMG_20171009_195603.jpg
    IMG_20171009_195603.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,010 of 7,926
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,011 of 7,926
Let's see.
Btw, posts in this thread and EA's instructions seem to point at the EA having to be faced outwards, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the LCDi4. That groove on the connector gets accomodated on the other side in these IEMs, or?

The industry standard when it comes to 2-pin connectors is the groove faces outwards. I don't know if it's different with the i4, but the iSine definitely has a notch to fit the groove. My recommendation would be to follow that.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,012 of 7,926
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #1,014 of 7,926
The industry standard when it comes to 2-pin connectors is the groove faces outwards. I don't know if it's different with the i4, but the iSine definitely has a notch to fit the groove. My recommendation would be to follow that.

The notch on the LCDi4 is on the ear's side. The groove on the Horus is on the EA logo side. Matching them I end up with the logo facing inwards.
Looking at this image (http://gadget.fsetyt.com/wp-content...irst-in-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones-14.jpg) it looks like it's the same for the iSine 20, as I imagine that connector you see is faced the way it's going to be inserted. For some reason, the groove on the Horus is on the logo side and not on the L/R label side. The groove on my previous Lavricables cable is on the L/R side, same for Audeze's own cable. Not an issue for sure. I guess Audeze did things differently from most.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,017 of 7,926
Hey Eric, I'm not sure if you'd remember me, big guy from Canjam London that sat for awhile at the EA+Empire table, also sat across ya on the table and next to Lieven at the italian restaurant with Sony fellas, Dean & Jack, Nic.
At your table you had one prototype cable, afaik Mars mk II, is that the earlier project of the Horus? I had really liked that one but it wasn't for sale/ready then. Is there any EU review tour of the Horus by chance?

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #1,018 of 7,926
Hey Eric, I'm not sure if you'd remember me, big guy from Canjam London that sat for awhile at the EA+Empire table, also sat across ya on the table and next to Lieven at the italian restaurant with Sony fellas, Dean & Jack, Nic.
At your table you had one prototype cable, afaik Mars mk II, is that the earlier project of the Horus? I had really liked that one but it wasn't for sale/ready then. Is there any EU review tour of the Horus by chance?
Was that the dinner on Friday? Nic invited me along, but I sadly couldn't make it. Such a shame, it was so close to home and I would have loved to meet up with you guys!

ps. Eric (@EffectAudio) might be a bit slow to respond because of Canjam RMAF and the 19 hour flight.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,020 of 7,926
Heard the Horus at the 2017 Canjam at RMAF. It was nice meeting the Effect Audio team, and had a great time chatting with them along with Jack and Dean from Empire Ears at the next table (really seemed like they were sharing the same table). I listened to the Lionheart and the Ares II+ with my EE Athena customs, and thought they were both quite good. The Ares II+ had extremely powerful bass and visceral rumble, along with very good tonal balance and dynamics. The Lionheart did not have quite as big a 'bootie' as the AII+, but was, overall, the more natural, polished, convincing portrayal of the instruments and voices. Ironpeg was sitting next to me and said I should try the Horus.......

3 notes into an Art Blakey recording, and I knew that my bank balance was going to be destroyed sometime soon. It is hard to describe the staggering improvements the Horus made. The band was simply there playing for me- transporting me away from listening to bass, mids, treble at Canjam, and into the performance. It did not take any time whatsoever to weigh the pros and cons-it was simply "Must have this now". Alas, Eric would not sell me on from the display..... (This also left me with even more respect and admiration for my Athenas-thanks guys!).

I went back the next day to listen again, this time with my Campfire Vegas. Initially I did not think they were enough better than my Norne Theriums, which are paired with my Vegas. Just to be sure, I switched back to the Theriums, and thought that I had accidentally lowered the volume setting on the AK 380 I was using at the time. Nope! same setting. Switching back to the Horus confirmed my perception of increased volume--not from a boost in the upper mids/lower treble region, (which can be perceived as if the volume was turned up). It just sounded fuller and more complete. This, btw, using adapters to convert 2-pin to mmcx. I also listed to the Leonidas, thinking that maybe it would be close enough to the Horus, sonically, so I could get 2 of them (one 2-pin, one mmcx) for the same cost....... Close, but no cigar.

Horus is spectacular, in every way I could determine, even under show conditions. I have not heard every flagship cable contender, but I have heard lots of gear, and even more live music over the years. Given my job, I get to listen to awesome stuff every day. Horus is the real deal. Sorry for your wallet(s).

That said, all their cables are easily worth their asking prices, and look very professional, and not in the least bit diy-looking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back