Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 1, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #6,646 of 7,943
331D634E-62DF-4C7B-89A7-4E8758ADF318.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #6,649 of 7,943
Any recommendations regarding cables for the Sennheiser HD650 and the original Dunu DK3001?

I use Qobuz from my PC or phone with the Chord Mojo 2

I've only used the following Effect Audio cables on the DK3001

Grandioso
Eros II
Thor Silver II+

The Grandioso were my least favorite as they just sounded ordinary, nothing stood out for me.

The Eros II stood out little more, had a wider sound but only horizontal separation.

The Thor Silver II+, oohhhh man, this was my best experience yet with Effect Audio cables on my DK3001. Sound has width and depth and very enjoyable. Unfortunately this cable broke and had to send it in for repairs, so I have to use the Eros II until repairs are done and I can tell you after having to use my other two cables while the Thor are away, I really miss the sound of the Thor.

But...

These are my only experience with audiophile cables and earphones and headphones so Ik dont have much of a trained ear I think. I don't know if what I'm hearing is what I'm supposed to be hearing off of these. I don't know if the Thor Silver II+ are a good pair with the DK-3001, so I'd like to ask your options on what you think are the good matches according to people with more experience.

And I'm also looking to upgrade to Effect Audio cables for my HD650 but don't know where to start.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #6,650 of 7,943
Any recommendations regarding cables for the Sennheiser HD650 and the original Dunu DK3001?

Grandioso
Eros II
Thor Silver II+

The Grandioso were my least favorite as they just sounded ordinary, nothing stood out for me.

The Eros II stood out little more, had a wider sound but only horizontal separation.

The Thor Silver II+, oohhhh man, this was my best experience yet with Effect Audio cables on my DK3001. Sound has width and depth and very enjoyable. Unfortunately this cable broke and had to send it in for repairs, so I have to use the Eros II until repairs are done and I can tell you after having to use my other two cables while the Thor are away, I really miss the sound of the Thor.

But...

These are my only experience with audiophile cables and earphones and headphones so Ik dont have much of a trained ear I think. I don't know if what I'm hearing is what I'm supposed to be hearing off of these. I don't know if the Thor Silver II+ are a good pair with the DK-3001, so I'd like to ask your options on what you think are the good matches according to people with more experience.

And I'm also looking to upgrade to Effect Audio cables for my HD650 but don't know where to start.
I have the Thor Silver II + and still think it’s a good cable. I pair it with my Legend X as I find they work well together.

I don’t know too much about HPs, but the recently released Code23 cable does come in a HP version. Not sure if anyone here has tried the Senns with it yet though. There’s a number of reviews of the Code23 a few pages back which are probably worth a read so that you can get an idea of the sound.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #6,651 of 7,943
Yeah, to be fair, I haven’t heard very many cables below $1k, my benchmarks are much more expensive cables. That said, I think in terms of sonic performance, Code 23 competes with some of the more expensive cables I’ve heard. Either way, I’m certainly impressed with its performance.
How is it compared to those super high end cables, like the PWA who is said to make superior copper.

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #6,652 of 7,943
Had quite an Effect Audio Experience in the last few weeks! Here to share my experience with all of you.

84EC8A0A-672A-4FFF-B5F9-E82DC879B3C6.jpeg

Sent my Eros S in for an upgrade to TermX, and it has now become my daily driver.

Being able to swap out the plug is such a quality of life upgrade - between hot-swapping the 3.5mm for the Steam Deck for gaming, 4.4mm to use with DAPs, and Lightning for when travelling light and listening out of a phone.

458D5573-CE1A-4EF6-B9AA-A0C17946F462.jpeg

The Cleopatra II is probably the ultimate cable for versatility. It pairs so well with all of my IEMs, from the Vision Ears EXT, 64 Audio U18s, and the Symphonium Helios just to name a few.

Personally, I am not a fan of silver cables, as I prefer a warmer, richer tone, so I tend to shy away from them. The Cleo II surprised me - it does not have the typical silver cable sound.

The dual geometry really does wonders for this cable. To my ears, the key defining factor of this cable is how the cable is able to excel in transparency and layering, while maintaining the tonal balance, and not introducing too much energy into the overall sound signature.

Treble extension has improved greatly - crisp and clear while not being too diffused. I mainly listen to rock and metal, every cymbal clash is well defined, and the texture is layered and clear.

While some silver cables introduces transparency to the midrange at the cost of thinning it out, this is not the case with the Cleo II. The midrange is warm, and analog-ish, especially in the lower mids. This allows vocals to be sweet and immersive, and is a welcome surprise to me.

The bass is tight and visceral, well-layered and organic sounding. My experience with silver cables tend to make the bass tight and fast, it comes at the cost of lushness in the sub-bass. However, with the Cleo II, the bass has a tighter punch, with very slightly reduced thickness - which is compensated with a tinge of warmth. This allows the bass to be airy and swift, but not too thin for it to sound inorganic and unnatural.

Soundstage is probably the biggest improvement that I heard. The EXT already has an expansive and holographic soundstage, and the Cleo II pushes the limit of this. Instruments are layered with pinpoint accuracy, but is not too diffused to the point where instruments sound too far away.

Out of all the IEMs that I have tried this with, my favourite pairing has got to be with the EXT.

37685729-CCD9-4EC2-87AF-38415DA50487.jpeg

I’ve also got my hands on the Code23. Impressions of this will be brief as I still need more time with this to fully get a grasp of this unique cable.

Unique and unexpected.

That’s how I would describe this cable. When Effect Audio first announced this cable, I was expecting a super warm, lush, rich cable. However when I heard it, it was nothing like what I have expected.

The soundstage on this cable is massive, layering and separation is immense. It’s visceral and quick, analog and holographic. Highs are fast, textured and airy. Midrange is clean and crystal clear. Bass is deep and extends beyond anything I have heard in such a cable.

Again, quick and dirty impressions but this is one unique sounding cable. Although, handling it is quite an experience.

Considering I have found my match for the VE EXT in the Cleo II, I might send my Eros S back again to have it terminated in JH 7-pin for my JH Jolene.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #6,653 of 7,943
Had quite an Effect Audio Experience in the last few weeks! Here to share my experience with all of you.

84EC8A0A-672A-4FFF-B5F9-E82DC879B3C6.jpeg

Sent my Eros S in for an upgrade to TermX, and it has now become my daily driver.

Being able to swap out the plug is such a quality of life upgrade - between hot-swapping the 3.5mm for the Steam Deck for gaming, 4.4mm to use with DAPs, and Lightning for when travelling light and listening out of a phone.

458D5573-CE1A-4EF6-B9AA-A0C17946F462.jpeg

The Cleopatra II is probably the ultimate cable for versatility. It pairs so well with all of my IEMs, from the Vision Ears EXT, 64 Audio U18s, and the Symphonium Helios just to name a few.

Personally, I am not a fan of silver cables, as I prefer a warmer, richer tone, so I tend to shy away from them. The Cleo II surprised me - it does not have the typical silver cable sound.

The dual geometry really does wonders for this cable. To my ears, the key defining factor of this cable is how the cable is able to excel in transparency and layering, while maintaining the tonal balance, and not introducing too much energy into the overall sound signature.

Treble extension has improved greatly - crisp and clear while not being too diffused. I mainly listen to rock and metal, every cymbal clash is well defined, and the texture is layered and clear.

While some silver cables introduces transparency to the midrange at the cost of thinning it out, this is not the case with the Cleo II. The midrange is warm, and analog-ish, especially in the lower mids. This allows vocals to be sweet and immersive, and is a welcome surprise to me.

The bass is tight and visceral, well-layered and organic sounding. My experience with silver cables tend to make the bass tight and fast, it comes at the cost of lushness in the sub-bass. However, with the Cleo II, the bass has a tighter punch, with very slightly reduced thickness - which is compensated with a tinge of warmth. This allows the bass to be airy and swift, but not too thin for it to sound inorganic and natural.

Soundstage is probably the biggest improvement that I heard. The EXT already has an expansive and holographic soundstage, and the Cleo II pushes the limit of this. Instruments are layered with pinpoint accuracy, but is not too diffused to the point where instruments sound too far away.

Out of all the IEMs that I have tried this with, my favourite pairing has got to be with the EXT.

37685729-CCD9-4EC2-87AF-38415DA50487.jpeg

I’ve also got my hands on the Code23. Impressions of this will be brief as I still need more time with this to fully get a grasp of this unique cable.

Unique and unexpected.

That’s how I would describe this cable. When Effect Audio first announced this cable, I was expecting a super warm, lush, rich cable. However when I heard it, it was nothing like what I have expected.

The soundstage on this cable is massive, layering and separation is immense. It’s visceral and quick, analog and holographic. Highs are fast, textured and airy. Midrange is clean and crystal clear. Bass is deep and extends beyond anything I have heard in such a cable.

Again, quick and dirty impressions but this is one unique sounding cable. Although, handling it is quite an experience.

Considering I have found my match for the VE EXT in the Cleo II, I might send my Eros S back again to have it terminated in JH 7-pin for my JH Jolene.
Nice comments mate... I can't wait to get my hands on my Cleo Octa and Code23.

My Supermoon is crying for a good cooper cable. :)

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #6,654 of 7,943

The bass is tight and visceral, well-layered and organic sounding. My experience with silver cables tend to make the bass tight and fast, it comes at the cost of lushness in the sub-bass. However, with the Cleo II, the bass has a tighter punch, with very slightly reduced thickness - which is compensated with a tinge of warmth. This allows the bass to be airy and swift, but not too thin for it to sound inorganic and natural.

Unique and unexpected.

I'm looking to upgrade cables soon, would love to know how much of an upgrade the Cleopatra II are from my Thor II Silver+

I love the sounds of my Dunu DK3001 with my Thor II Silver+, but something about buying cables more expensive than the earphones themselves makes me think its would be overkill and diminishing returns start to take place

Also what benefits does going octa bring over standard??

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #6,655 of 7,943
Nice comments mate... I can't wait to get my hands on my Cleo Octa and Code23.

My Supermoon is crying for a good cooper cable. :)

Both are really good choices! I haven't heard the Supermoon yet, but looking forward to hearing it during CanJam Singapore later this year.

I'm looking to upgrade cables soon, would love to know how much of an upgrade the Cleopatra II are from my Thor II Silver+

I love the sounds of my Dunu DK3001 with my Thor II Silver+, but something about buying cables more expensive than the earphones themselves makes me think its would be overkill and diminishing returns start to take place

Also what benefits does going octa bring over standard??

It's been a while since I have heard the Thor Silver II+, but based on memory, the Cleo II to be a completely different sounding cable - it has more warmth and better resolution, I also remember the Thor Silver II+ to have less extension than the Cleo II in the treble.

I cringe at spending a lot of cables too, but it helps to know that cables can always be swapped over to another IEM on my rotation or if I upgrade (read: copium 🙈)

In my experience, going from a 4-wire cable to an 8-wire (octa) will bring a much wider soundstage, and improved resolution resulting in a much "bigger" and effortless presentation. The signature might change VERY slightly depending on the cable.

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #6,656 of 7,943
Both are really good choices! I haven't heard the Supermoon yet, but looking forward to hearing it during CanJam Singapore later this year.

It's been a while since I have heard the Thor Silver II+, but based on memory, the Cleo II to be a completely different sounding cable - it has more warmth and better resolution, I also remember the Thor Silver II+ to have less extension than the Cleo II in the treble.

I cringe at spending a lot of cables too, but it helps to know that cables can always be swapped over to another IEM on my rotation or if I upgrade (read: copium 🙈)

In my experience, going from a 4-wire cable to an 8-wire (octa) will bring a much wider soundstage, and improved resolution resulting in a much "bigger" and effortless presentation. The signature might change VERY slightly depending on the cable.
Would you say the difference between 4 wire and 8 wire are worth the extra $500?

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #6,657 of 7,943
Would you say the difference between 4 wire and 8 wire are worth the extra $500?
I have yet to hear the Cleo II Octa, so this is just generalizing the difference between 4-wire and 8-wire cables in my experience.

It depends on whether you want to have the maximum performance out of a particular cable, and also the IEM that you would be pairing the cable with - some IEMs greatly benefit from having an 8-wire version of a cable in terms of having an holographic and expansive soundstage, but others might seem to be too diffused and have better synergy with the 4-wire. In your case, I think that the 4-wire Cleo II would be a sufficient enough upgrade, but if you value having a much wider soundstage and the best possible resolution out of the cable, 8-wire is the way to go.

I would say you won't be disappointed either way!

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,658 of 7,943
I have yet to hear the Cleo II Octa, so this is just generalizing the difference between 4-wire and 8-wire cables in my experience.

It depends on whether you want to have the maximum performance out of a particular cable, and also the IEM that you would be pairing the cable with - some IEMs greatly benefit from having an 8-wire version of a cable in terms of having an holographic and expansive soundstage, but others might seem to be too diffused and have better synergy with the 4-wire. In your case, I think that the 4-wire Cleo II would be a sufficient enough upgrade, but if you value having a much wider soundstage and the best possible resolution out of the cable, 8-wire is the way to go.

I would say you won't be disappointed either way!
Completely agree. Same experiences 👍

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #6,659 of 7,943

Grandioso
Eros II
Thor Silver II+

But...

I highly rec the eros s. I also have the thor 2 which i used to pair with my fourte but was always cut short in both depth and separation. Eros s fixed it for that. There are times where i do feel that its too wide though.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #6,660 of 7,943
Received the Code 23 today. Thank you again @JordonEA I hope to get some listening time in later this week, but ergonomically it's not as bad as I was expecting. I have an 8-core pure silver cable that is a lot stiffer and just as thick. The silver cable is lighter, but I believe the insulation on the Code 23 cable adds quite a bit of weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back