Effect Audio cables thread
May 26, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #5,881 of 7,919
There's lots of talk about protos #37 and #38, and with what I have heard with #38 it's all much deserved. However, I believe the star of the show and one that is going to make the most waves, is going to be #32. The deep holographic staging, transparency, and separation I get with #32, all without ever sounding too aggressive or harsh anywhere is stunning. Everything just sounds bigger and fully fleshed out with #32. I don't think I have ever had a cable make such an improvement in all areas and without a single weakness, as I have with this cable. EA seriously outdid themselves with this one folks, and it's been a blast hearing my Penon Serial scale with #32. I currently have them hooked up to the Cayin RU6, and this pairing has such a holographic and highly immersive presentation, I think it would impress pretty much anyone.

20220526_041517.jpg

May 26, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #5,882 of 7,919
20220526_100634.jpg

P-32 with FAudio Dark Sky: I decided to connect the P-32 to my current TOTL, FAudio Dark Sky, today. And quite honestly I was surprised by how the output evolved!

Let's get the aesthetics over with. The Dark Sky has a 24 AWG Silver Alloy/Germany Pure Silver/Immersion Gold Silver Alloy cable. From aesthetics, the stock cable is much better and is more soft and supple compared to the P-32.

Coming to the sound performance, I found P-32 was distributing the sound on a more three dimensional plane with added depth and a bit of height, enhancing the overall imaging and making the presentation more immersive. The stock cable sounded slightly flatter with the midrange a bit more upfront compared to the P-32. P-32 also enhanced the low end noticeably with more body in the lower register notes, resulting in a healthier slam and more pronounced & textured rumbles. The separation did improve slightly also, with more distinct space between notes.
However, P-32 also introduces a slight warm tonality to the sound of Dark Sky. The stock cable has a rather cooler tone. This may or may not make or break things for individuals. Me, I am just a bit intrigued at this change and cannot feel any affection or repulsion to this particular effect yet in my mind.
Another point to note is because the stock cable has slightly leaner bass, mids get a bit more spotlight. The mids with P-32 are by no means subdued or drowned behind the bass and after just a moment they come at you in their full glory, but on the stock cable they just do not wait for that moment also, they are in their full glory from the get go.

The way P-32 improves the sound in its entirety is quite unique. The most notable enhancement is the stage created by the iem. As it improves the depth, separation, and imaging all together, the soundstage becomes a bit more grand in all dimensions. Coupled with that the refinement of individual notes makes the experience all the more pleasing and takes its performance to a new height.
My only beef with it is the thick 8 strand braid, the weight, and the stiff & thick earhooks. @JordonEA confirmed that the first two cannot be addressed, but the third issue can very surely be addressed. I hope that will make it a bit more easy to bear with.

20220526_125528.jpg

P-38: P-38 is an amazing cable and the favourite of mine from the two. Visually, they are extremely pleasing to look at, with 2 different geometric structures in the different cores. One has thinner individual strands and has considerably more helix angle, and the other one has thicker individual strands and has lesser helix angle. Grabs your attention easily.

I paired it with the current flagship of 634EARS, the LOAK-T(CL) Cocobolo. Titanium front housing, Stainless steel back housing, and Cocobolo wood backplate. The sound in general is very transparent and bright (but never harsh), with a nice emphasis in low end that simultaneously satisfies the cravings for a meaty bass and the requirement of not cluttering the midrange. The midrange, as stated earlier, is very transparent with crisp notes and yet natural. Treble has brilliant energy and extension. Overall a very mature tuning. I was using a XINHS Alloy Copper cable with it.

What P-38 does in this case is, it adds a bit more volume and power in the low end, making the sound fuller and slamming slightly stronger. However, following the original DNA, the bass never clutters the midrange. In midrange, it adds a bit more body to the notes, maintaining the crispy nature and making them sound a bit fuller. It also applies a slight smoothening effect, which calms down the uncomfortable peaks, if any, but does not smother them, so the overall life in the LOAK-T(CL)’s tone isn’t held back. Both male vocals and female vocals are benefitted from this and they do sound mesmerising. Coming to the treble, again, the energy and brilliance is in no way affected, but the slight smoothening effect just enhances them into a more complete form, where the brilliance is preserved and discomfort is toned down. The notes do have a bit better defined body. P-38 also enhances the separation slightly more, increases the depth a bit more, and makes the imaging slightly more three dimensional.

Suffice to say the P-38 is currently my most favourite pure copper cable as of yet. I am for sure going to have this in my collection.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #5,883 of 7,919
There are some great impressions here on all 3 cables. It’s interesting to see that pretty much everyone is describing the same things that they are hearing.

May 29, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #5,885 of 7,919
Here are my impressions of the Effect Audio Prototype cable P37.

I burnt this cable for 100 hours. All listening was then done with: IEM > P37 > Hiby R8. The IEMs used here are: Trio, Legend X and PHoNIX. As always, my caveat; I’m pretty useless at trying to describe sound and so I’ll just try to covey the basics of what I hear.

Prototype 37

I wasn’t sure if this was a silver cable or a silver plated copper. During the burn in process my listening at the earlier stages seemed to point to silver, but now I’m veering towards the latter and think this is an SPC.

64 Audio Trio – This immediately sounds less warm that the P38 and I feel that it allows a bit more of the Trio’s technicalities to shine through. The Trio’s spiky treble is not as under control as it was the P38, but this is something I can easily control by using Symbio F foams. When playing some quieter passages of songs I’m getting quite a black background. I’m not saying this wasn’t possible with the P38, but with the P37 it is more noticeable. Bass on the Trio is more exact and precise. It seems to hit harder than with P38. From a bass point of view, I certainly think the P37 brings out the full force of the DDs here. Sub bass goes deep and you can get that ‘feel it in your chest’ feeling. Mids seem clearer and I’m finding there is more crisp and clean detail coming through.

With the P38 I thought the Trio became an excellent pair to listen to while you are working as it didn’t distract you from your concentration. I’m not sure if that is the case though with the P37. This is a crisp detailed sound, and I’m finding that it demands a lot more of my attention when listening. I think the Trio and P37 are a very good pairing. I’m impressed with this.

Legend X – There is clearer sound with the P37 compared to the P38 and this is noticeable straight away. There is more extension in the treble and I’m finding it has more detail. I can be sensitive to treble, but I found that it doesn’t stray into any harsh areas. I’m actually finding that the mids feel smooth whereas the highs seem a bit more crisp. I think the mids seem a bit clearer on the P37, and this may show that this cable is a bit more revealing than it’s sibling P38. Bass is interesting. It feels a lot tighter on the P37 and I cannot detect signs of any bleed into other areas. Mid bass has a good punch to it and sub bass is really noticeable when it is called fall. The P37 definitely seems to aid the low end.

PHoNIX – This brings a crisp clear sound, and clarity and details come through really well. This pairing demands more of your attention than the P38 does. Mids are clear and detailed and you can hear a lot going on here with this pairing. Treble extends high on the Phonix. On some tracks I’m finding it goes a little too high for my own preference but do be aware I am sensitive to high treble. I cannot fault the clarity of the treble though. Sub bass goes deep, and even though it is a BA I was finding that you can still feel it in your chest when the track calls for it. Mid bass has a good presence when required and I could not hear it straying into other areas. It was not as hard hitting as the Trio or LX but they have DD’s and so you have to take that into account. Overall a good pairing. With well recorded songs I was getting some superb sounding music.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get the left 2pin connector into the Traillii and so I was sadly unable to try out this IEM with the P37.

Overall then I liked the P37. For me the best pairing was with the Trio. The two just worked really well together and were an excellent match. The P37 looks really nice too and its silver tones offset the look of my IEMs nicely.

IMG_1588.jpg

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #5,886 of 7,919
Here are my impressions of the Effect Audio Prototype cable P37.

I burnt this cable for 100 hours. All listening was then done with: IEM > P37 > Hiby R8. The IEMs used here are: Trio, Legend X and PHoNIX. As always, my caveat; I’m pretty useless at trying to describe sound and so I’ll just try to covey the basics of what I hear.

Prototype 37

I wasn’t sure if this was a silver cable or a silver plated copper. During the burn in process my listening at the earlier stages seemed to point to silver, but now I’m veering towards the latter and think this is an SPC.

64 Audio Trio – This immediately sounds less warm that the P38 and I feel that it allows a bit more of the Trio’s technicalities to shine through. The Trio’s spiky treble is not as under control as it was the P38, but this is something I can easily control by using Symbio F foams. When playing some quieter passages of songs I’m getting quite a black background. I’m not saying this wasn’t possible with the P38, but with the P37 it is more noticeable. Bass on the Trio is more exact and precise. It seems to hit harder than with P38. From a bass point of view, I certainly think the P37 brings out the full force of the DDs here. Sub bass goes deep and you can get that ‘feel it in your chest’ feeling. Mids seem clearer and I’m finding there is more crisp and clean detail coming through.

With the P38 I thought the Trio became an excellent pair to listen to while you are working as it didn’t distract you from your concentration. I’m not sure if that is the case though with the P37. This is a crisp detailed sound, and I’m finding that it demands a lot more of my attention when listening. I think the Trio and P37 are a very good pairing. I’m impressed with this.

Legend X – There is clearer sound with the P37 compared to the P38 and this is noticeable straight away. There is more extension in the treble and I’m finding it has more detail. I can be sensitive to treble, but I found that it doesn’t stray into any harsh areas. I’m actually finding that the mids feel smooth whereas the highs seem a bit more crisp. I think the mids seem a bit clearer on the P37, and this may show that this cable is a bit more revealing than it’s sibling P38. Bass is interesting. It feels a lot tighter on the P37 and I cannot detect signs of any bleed into other areas. Mid bass has a good punch to it and sub bass is really noticeable when it is called fall. The P37 definitely seems to aid the low end.

PHoNIX – This brings a crisp clear sound, and clarity and details come through really well. This pairing demands more of your attention than the P38 does. Mids are clear and detailed and you can hear a lot going on here with this pairing. Treble extends high on the Phonix. On some tracks I’m finding it goes a little too high for my own preference but do be aware I am sensitive to high treble. I cannot fault the clarity of the treble though. Sub bass goes deep, and even though it is a BA I was finding that you can still feel it in your chest when the track calls for it. Mid bass has a good presence when required and I could not hear it straying into other areas. It was not as hard hitting as the Trio or LX but they have DD’s and so you have to take that into account. Overall a good pairing. With well recorded songs I was getting some superb sounding music.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get the left 2pin connector into the Traillii and so I was sadly unable to try out this IEM with the P37.

Overall then I liked the P37. For me the best pairing was with the Trio. The two just worked really well together and were an excellent match. The P37 looks really nice too and its silver tones offset the look of my IEMs nicely.

IMG_1588.jpg

Agree with what you hear with P37 of the two it is my favorite on home setup. On travel set I lean more toward P38. Both are great cable, when paired with the right iem’s they really shine I can recommend both of them.

Hoping we hear what the secret sauce of cable material used soon. It’s been fun to test these mystery cables. I’m most curious on P32 since you are unable to see the wires.

May 29, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #5,887 of 7,919
Agree with what you hear with P37 of the two it is my favorite on home setup. On travel set I lean more toward P38. Both are great cable, when paired with the right iem’s they really shine I can recommend both of them.

Hoping we hear what the secret sauce of cable material used soon. It’s been fun to test these mystery cables. I’m most curious on P32 since you are unable to see the wires.
i can see what you mean about home setup and travel, and I think I too would go P37 and P38 in the same order. I also found that there was a certain synergy between a particular cable and a particular IEM i.e. Trio + P37, but this synergy did not quite exist at the same level across the others I tried.

May 29, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #5,888 of 7,919
Please find here after a short feedback and a few pictures of the two prototype cables that Effect Audio has kindly sent me.
I have received Prototype 37 and Prototype 38 with a MMCX connector and a 4.4 mm plus.
I have listened to each prototype for around a week.

They were paired with a Sony WM1Z-M2 DAP and Technics EAH-TZ700 https://www.technics.com/us/products/headphones/eah-tz700.html
Unfortunately I forgot to ask Effect Audio to send them without the pre-shaped heat-shrink flexible ear hooks as I prefer to have the cable straight, but never mind, that doesn’t affect sound.

A global comment on comfort for both model P37 and P38 : they are very nicely build, they are light, flexible and pleasant to touch. There is no microphonic at all, which is really nice.
P37 is a little bit less smooth and thicker than P38. And because of this the slider on P37 is nearly impossible to use as it doesn’t slide at all, but the good news is that it’s not the final design for the splitter.
I also hope that the final design will have a different shape of plug and especially connector because it’s hard to remove MMCX earphone, connector material is round which makes it slippery. I prefer connectors and plugs with angular shapes.

Sound wise they are both very good but my preference goes to the P38.
I might be wrong but for me Prototype 37 cable has the color and the sound of a silver or silver alloy cable and Prototype 38 cable has the color and the sound of a copper cable.
P37 is more airy and brings more clarity than P38. I also find the soundstage wider and vocals are more forward than on P38 but I preferred P38’s tonality which seemed more accurate to me.
P37 is more bright than P38. Even if P38 is warmer it paired better with the Sony DAP which is also warm sounding but the result was something really smooth but vivid and very musical at the same time. P38 has a very nice and tight bass.
P38 is my choice for a non-fatiguing, long and enjoyable listen.

If, as I suspect, they’ll be priced at around 200 US$ (like the Ares II) they’ll for sure be big hits because of SQ, build quality, comfort and coming from a highly respected brand of earphone cable.

EA-proto8.png

EA-proto1.png

EA-proto2.png

EA-proto5.png

EA-proto4.png

EA-proto10.png

EA-proto12.png

EA-proto14.jpg

EA-proto15.jpg

EA-proto16.png

May 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #5,890 of 7,919
OOPS had a power failure and never finished the post, but somehow it saved and published. Finishing my thoughts now.

Saying goodbye to my P37 and P38, sadly it's time to send them back; I guess they were never mine and I suppose I knew that and hoped EA would let us keep them! Alas, DHL has just departed with my (their) beloved cables. Happily, however, I have enjoyed my time with them and as direct result of this experience I will be picking up a couple each of the both the 37 and the 38. On my UM MEXT which actually comes with a very good PW Copper Cable, the P37 really tightened up the already excellent bass and added a dimension of layering and detail in both the sub and mid bass. Normally when I think of "airiness" I think of the upper frequencies but I swear this cable added airiness to the bass with out mitigating it. The 38 which I pitted directly against the stock PW Copper Cable added a bit more meat and warmth to the overall signature while leaving the MEXT's detail retrieval perfectly intact. On the MEXT Copper 38 will be the new cable and I'll be taking the stock cable over my EJ07M
I concur with pretty much everything you've written here. I too find the 37 "airier" and on a couple of my IEMs it really transformed them with enough "shift" to get me re-engaged and interested in them. On the UM3DT which I had decided to sell, the P37 definitely woke them up. The 3DT is known to be a "Bass Light" model despite the fact that it's a triple DD - I don't know what alchemy EA put into the the 37 but it clearly extended the lower registers and added that airy layering effect I described above with the MEXT.
These are excellent cables and I cant wait to pair the released product with my UMs and and a pair of IMR offerings.
I really want to thank Jordon and the EA team for allowing me to audition these prototypes and like I said look forward to getting my hands on the final release.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #5,891 of 7,919
Well it’s time to send the P37 and P38 back to Singapore. 🥲 The cables told me that they have enjoyed their trip to England and meeting all of my audio gear 😃, but alas their time is up and it’s time now to go home.

I wanted to give a big thanks to Effect Audio for allowing me to participate in this. Not only has it been fun to listen to the cables and share my impressions, but it’s also made me feel like I was part of something as it unfolded. Great stuff!

May 31, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #5,893 of 7,919
My thoughts on the P38.

I recently reacquired the AAW AXH. Even though it is a 1DD+4BA hybrid, the DD is a full range driver supporting the BAs and the IEM is neutral with a very balanced sound. Compared to the stock Lune cable (UPOCC Silver) the P38 brings some warmth with added density to the mids as well some additional bass quantity. The AXH is fairly bass-light and has more of a sub-bass bias so the P38 is a great complement to this bright-leaning IEM. This pairing sounds more natural and tone/timbre is greatly improved. Source was my FiiO M15 which is a fairly neutral (slightly warm) DAP. I don't normally pair bright/neutral IEMs w/bright/neutral sources, but this combination was very revealing of the (welcome) changes brought on by the all-copper P38.

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #5,895 of 7,919
Yup it is fun to be part of this campaign and we have achieved a statistical agreement on how these cables sound. This has made the audiophile journey much less lonely I have to say! As to express my gratitude and how much I like these cables I am getting all three cables but I have to say goodbye to the P37 and P38 soon. :cry:

Okay bye P37 and P38 and I look forward to getting the Greek Gods!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back