Effect Audio cables thread
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #421 of 7,919
Hi everyone, I have an odd problem that I hope the collective wisdom of head-fi can help out with!

I just received my Thor Copper cable. Beautiful cable, quality feels great, and surprisingly soft.

The problem is, when plugged into my phone (Android, OnePlus 3), the volume on the right side is very soft—I can hear just enough to know it's there but easily overpowered by the left.

The same problem appears when I test it on my gf's phone (also Android, OnePlus1).

HOWEVER!!

Plugging into my laptop, the sound comes through perfectly and sounds amazing.

I've also ascertained my phone is functioning fine when I plug my old Westone UM2 into it.

This leads me to think something is up with the connector on the Thor and it's not playing well with my Android phone.

I also switched sides so the right cable went into my left IEM and left cable goes into the right IEM: I get sound in the right, and the left is now cut out completely.

When I get the chance I'll test this on an iPhone.

But in the mean time has anyone encountered this odd problem??

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #422 of 7,919
Hi everyone, I have an odd problem that I hope the collective wisdom of head-fi can help out with!

I just received my Thor Copper cable. Beautiful cable, quality feels great, and surprisingly soft.

The problem is, when plugged into my phone (Android, OnePlus 3), the volume on the right side is very soft—I can hear just enough to know it's there but easily overpowered by the left.

The same problem appears when I test it on my gf's phone (also Android, OnePlus1).

HOWEVER!!

Plugging into my laptop, the sound comes through perfectly and sounds amazing.

I've also ascertained my phone is functioning fine when I plug my old Westone UM2 into it.

This leads me to think something is up with the connector on the Thor and it's not playing well with my Android phone.

I also switched sides so the right cable went into my left IEM and left cable goes into the right IEM: I get sound in the right, and the left is now cut out completely.

When I get the chance I'll test this on an iPhone.

But in the mean time has anyone encountered this odd problem??

I noticed my cable's termination has 3 black bands and is balanced, vs the right-angled termination which has 2 black bands.

Could that account for the audio imbalance?

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #423 of 7,919
I noticed my cable's termination has 3 black bands and is balanced, vs the right-angled termination which has 2 black bands.

Could that account for the audio imbalance?

Think you got a 3.5mm 4 pole balanced plug. The left right and ground is different from normal 3.5mm single ended.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #424 of 7,919
Think you got a 3.5mm 4 pole balanced plug. The left right and ground is different from normal 3.5mm single ended.

This is the plug I have:

146.jpg

Do you think that's causing the volume on the right side to be softer? The cable works perfectly when plugged into my laptop (MacBook Air).

Should I have gotten this instead:

145.jpg

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #425 of 7,919
Not sure how the macbook or phone configurations is.

But below are some pics to give you some idea why some device won't work properly.

images.png

7402425.png

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #426 of 7,919
Not sure how the macbook or phone configurations is.

But below are some pics to give you some idea why some device won't work properly.

Thank you, I had read up on the difference with a balanced terminator but didn't know it will affect the sound, if it is indeed the balanced terminator causing the softer volume on the right side. I would think if the balanced terminator is not compatible with the socket there would be no sound at all. I'll wait for Effects Audio to get back to me :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #427 of 7,919
Thank you, I had read up on the difference with a balanced terminator but didn't know it will affect the sound, if it is indeed the balanced terminator causing the softer volume on the right side. I would think if the balanced terminator is not compatible with the socket there would be no sound at all. I'll wait for Effects Audio to get back to me :frowning2:

The 3.5mm balanced terminator should be considered incompatible with most 3.5mm TRS sockets out there and should not be paired up as such. The laptop sounding fine is just a lucky conincidence I believe. Some of you handfree's plug MAY look like a balanced TRRS plug but the extra ring there is for controls not audio.

But did you actually picked the 3.5mm balanced option when ordering the cable? In any event I guess Effect would be happy to help you out. Got pretty pleasant after sales experience with them.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #428 of 7,919
But did you actually picked the 3.5mm balanced option when ordering the cable?

Yes I did, without really knowing this will happen; this is my first "upgrade" cable. Previously I used an Estron Linum and didn't have a problem so I didn't know what to look out for.

TBH I picked it for the straight jack instead of an angled one because I was concerned the angled jack wouldn't fit through the phone case (old Westone UM2's jack had this problem).

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #429 of 7,919
Either you can get it re-terminated or you can try to get an adapter.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #430 of 7,919
I just had a quick google, the adaptors seem to be boxes ... not very portable.

I'm in touch with Eric from Effect Audio, hope we can figure something out otherwise I'll have to put them up for sale :frowning2:

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #431 of 7,919
Hey Buddies! @productred & @blazinblazin , thanks for helping out to answer @vurtomatic in my absence. I was shuttling between flights, ergo the late reply. I owe y'all a ice cold beer! Please do drop by and say hi if you y'all happen to visit our booth in the upcoming shows :)

Meanwhile, @vurtomatic , i have checked and referenced against my order data, indeed you've made an error selection during the ordering. However, i understand that as it's an honest mistake and you're not at fault that our webstore wasn't denoted clearly what "Balanced" vs "Unbalanced" means. Send me a PM! I'll get ya' sorted out on the re-termination :)

Meanwhile, hope y'all are having a fine day. Cheers.

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #433 of 7,919
Lionheart is a gift that keeps on giving.. more I listen to k10s on Sony wm1z more I am falling in love with the setup.. it is doing something magical to overall signature especially the vocals making them simply delicious. The bass is present without being boomy..(k10 packs a huge punch and with wrong setup it can get out of control) so are highs .the best part is it is not changing signature of sound just enhancing bits I like subtly... finally nearly after 1 year I fully realized how awesome k10s are.. and most important thing the cable is super comfortable, super light and non fatiguing.. worth every penny.. excellent job effect audio..

I highly recommend listening to Pink Floyd "animals" to see what I mean.. for vocals Norah jones, Diana krall, Hooverphonic and Bollywood singers Sherya Ghoshal , zeb , anuradha paudwal sound amazing..for bass daft punk's "random access memories " and massive attack's "mezzanine " are great albums.. classical Maurice ravel's "bolero" show how to retrieve details in quiet parts. Another choice is Rimsky Karasokov's 'scherzade".. as you can see it plays nice with most genres .. sound like a fanboy but give credit where credit is due

Pc

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #434 of 7,919
Yes I did, without really knowing this will happen; this is my first "upgrade" cable. Previously I used an Estron Linum and didn't have a problem so I didn't know what to look out for.

TBH I picked it for the straight jack instead of an angled one because I was concerned the angled jack wouldn't fit through the phone case (old Westone UM2's jack had this problem).
Btw there a lot of provides who sell TRRS to TRS adapters. Imo keep TRRS as it is a better setup and when you upgrade to better gear from either Sony or hifiman you will reap benefits. Check out Norne audio, plus sound and even effect audio may have one..

Just my 2 cents
Pc

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #435 of 7,919
Lionheart is a gift that keeps on giving.. more I listen to k10s on Sony wm1z more I am falling in love with the setup.. it is doing something magical to overall signature especially the vocals making them simply delicious. The bass is present without being boomy..(k10 packs a huge punch and with wrong setup it can get out of control) so are highs .the best part is it is not changing signature of sound just enhancing bits I like subtly... finally nearly after 1 year I fully realized how awesome k10s are.. and most important thing the cable is super comfortable, super light and non fatiguing.. worth every penny.. excellent job effect audio..

I highly recommend listening to Pink Floyd "animals" to see what I mean.. for vocals Norah jones, Diana krall, Hooverphonic and Bollywood singers Sherya Ghoshal , zeb , anuradha paudwal sound amazing..for bass daft punk's "random access memories " and massive attack's "mezzanine " are great albums.. classical Maurice ravel's "bolero" show how to retrieve details in quiet parts. Another choice is Rimsky Karasokov's 'scherzade".. as you can see it plays nice with most genres .. sound like a fanboy but give credit where credit is due

Pc

Give the cables some good use and you might get more out of it. Some don't believe in burn in of cables but i do~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back