Effect Audio cables thread
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,656 of 8,007
Holy crap, how is that physically possible. They (DHL) have had to have excellent network management and storage facilitation capabilities. We've switched from FedEx to DHL since 2 years ago - no regrets albeit DHL being slightly pricer on our end :)
I have no idea how they did that, but I got a text only hours after I got the tracking code saying delivery was planned for the next day while the tracking still said "Singapore". I laughed it off figuring it was a mistake, but nope, they actually did it.

Funny thing, I sent the VE5 back to Vision Ears in Germany by FedEx and that cost me three times what I paid to send my Phantom to Empire Ears in the US using DHL. I think the local FedEx point might have screwed me over a little there. :p

Meanwhile a quick snap of my lunch break listening setup. ...and yes, oh yes, I like this a lot! :D
Phantom_ErosII.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,657 of 8,007
I have no idea how they did that, but I got a text only hours after I got the tracking code saying delivery was planned for the next day while the tracking still said "Singapore". I laughed it off figuring it was a mistake, but nope, they actually did it.

Funny thing, I sent the VE5 back to Vision Ears in Germany by FedEx and that cost me three times what I paid to send my Phantom to Empire Ears in the US using DHL. I think the local FedEx point might have screwed me over a little there. :p

Meanwhile a quick snap of my lunch break listening setup. ...and yes, oh yes, I like this a lot! :D

Really, really nice looking cable. I love how EA does the 8 wire braid where it switches patterns up inside the heatshrink of the ear hooks. Very clever and it makes them so comfortable/streamlined.

Still waiting for that "Leo was discontinued, but here's the 8-wire and 16-wire variants! Merry Christmas!" :)

-Collin-

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2,658 of 8,007
Really, really nice looking cable. I love how EA does the 8 wire braid where it switches patterns up inside the heatshrink of the ear hooks. Very clever and it makes them so comfortable/streamlined.

Still waiting for that "Leo was discontinued, but here's the 8-wire and 16-wire variants! Merry Christmas!" :)

-Collin-
Yeah, it is a really beautiful cable and the picture does not do it justice. I will probably wait until after the move to make the pictures for the review, as I should have (much) better light conditions. Our current flat is a bit like a cave.

The ear hooks have actually been done really well. Not sure if that is just a coincidence or 'practice makes perfect' on the side of EA, but the heat shrink is a little tighter than on my Ares II 8-wire and makes the cable even easier to deal with despite my glasses. I also really like the new plug. Looks great, is really light and yet doesn't feel fragile at all.

Not sure what is next for EA, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Leo V2. :D

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,659 of 8,007
I just realized that my audio equipment hobby is now a full-fledged addiction when I got bummed about forgetting to put in a bid on (and therefore not being able to buy) the Effect Audio Janus D on ebay, which ended up selling for $960.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #2,660 of 8,007
Anyone have an Ares II sitting around that they aren't using, and willing to let go for around $100? Looking for 3.5mm, 2 Pin connection. Thanks for helping a brother out!

( I know I'm crashing the EA thread, shh)

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #2,661 of 8,007
Anyone have an Ares II sitting around that they aren't using, and willing to let go for around $100? Looking for 3.5mm, 2 Pin connection. Thanks for helping a brother out!

( I know I'm crashing the EA thread, shh)
keep it, you'll want it for the spartan

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #2,663 of 8,007
I just realized that my audio equipment hobby is now a full-fledged addiction when I got bummed about forgetting to put in a bid on (and therefore not being able to buy) the Effect Audio Janus D on ebay, which ended up selling for $960.
I don't addiction begins to describe that. For me addiction became a whole new animal called Lionheart.

Curious about the number engraved on the leather pouch, is that some kind of internal code or perhaps the nth cable of the line?

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2,664 of 8,007
I don't addiction begins to describe that. For me addiction became a whole new animal called Lionheart.

Curious about the number engraved on the leather pouch, is that some kind of internal code or perhaps the nth cable of the line?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,665 of 8,007

Have you tried contacting Musicteck directly to see the best deal you can get on it? :wink:

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #2,666 of 8,007
Hey, I was wondering if anyone in the US is using the Eros II 8 wire, 2 pin 4mm plug? I'd like to audition one, and was toying with the idea of doing a temporary swap with my Thor II 8 wire. I might be willing to consider this with someone who has well established posting history and trader feedback on Head-fi. Consider this kind of an interest check, and apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #2,667 of 8,007
Hey, I was wondering if anyone in the US is using the Eros II 8 wire, 2 pin 4mm plug? I'd like to audition one, and was toying with the idea of doing a temporary swap with my Thor II 8 wire. I might be willing to consider this with someone who has well established posting history and trader feedback on Head-fi. Consider this kind of an interest check, and apologies if this is an inappropriate place to post this.

How do you like your Thor 8 wire? Debated making the change from my Janus D to get more thump on my LX. The bass is addicting!

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,668 of 8,007
How do you like your Thor 8 wire? Debated making the change from my Janus D to get more thump on my LX. The bass is addicting!
Honestly, I love it with the Phantom, don't have the LX. I would consider the 8 wire Thor a "warmer" silver cable, if there is such a thing. It definitely makes the Phantom a little more neutral and enhances the treble a bit but keeps it's smooth characteristics. Doesn't enhance the bass but has a natural (to me) decay, and keeps it nicely balanced with the mids and treble. It generally adds a touch of clarity top to bottom. The only reason I have interest in the Eros is because with the Thor you do lose a bit of the lushness with the Phantom that caused me to think "wow, this is really a unique tuning", and I was curious if I might find a middle ground. Also, I'm curious to pair it with my Tia Fourtes, which I find to really change in sq with changes in cables and tips. I know the Fourtes are, to some, too extreme or unbalanced. But they've been fun for me because you can, with time, dial in the sq to your liking with the peripherals or EQ. The great thing about the tia driver for me is that in general you can more easily dial down treble effect in iems than you can dial it up, while still maintaining great tonal quality. And the tia has gobs of detail to work with. IMO!

PS - I still believe cables are a "frosting on the cake" kind of purchase, and laws of diminishing returns are definitely in play with cables as a whole. No doubt, part of it for me is the aesthetics of a cable that makes them appealing to me.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,669 of 8,007
@Deezel177
Stemming from your thoughts on differences between Lionheart and Leonidas, Janus D and Horus on the EE thread, I agree given your descriptions of the other cables (no way of testing them here) I prefer the Lionheart sound the most of the 4. Do you feel that any of the other EA cables in their current line does what Lionheart does better or would you call it a unique animal?

This might belong in another thread, but I noticed a number of PW Audio cables were copper core with the Saladin and Xerxes being somewhat of the same material. If you'd tried them, do they hold up to the Lionheart?

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #2,670 of 8,007
@Deezel177
Stemming from your thoughts on differences between Lionheart and Leonidas, Janus D and Horus on the EE thread, I agree given your descriptions of the other cables (no way of testing them here) I prefer the Lionheart sound the most of the 4. Do you feel that any of the other EA cables in their current line does what Lionheart does better or would you call it a unique animal?

This might belong in another thread, but I noticed a number of PW Audio cables were copper core with the Saladin and Xerxes being somewhat of the same material. If you'd tried them, do they hold up to the Lionheart?

I definitely would classify the Lionheart as a unique animal. I haven't heard a cable that has its combination of warm, tube-y, analog smoothness and clarity and vibrancy in the upper-mids and treble. It's analog and clear at the same time, which is extremely difficult to execute. The Saladin is a more typical copper sound: Warm, mid-bass-oriented, not much happening in the top-end. It's akin to an Ares II, but warmer and less articulate/energetic, so it definitely goes all in into the analog. The Saladin+ (essentially an 8-wire Saladin) is actually a very impressive cable. It has the exact same tone as the Saladin, but with an immensely more stable stage. So, the image is less congested and congealed; more open, solidly-defined, precisely-imaged and well-resolved. I remember less of what the Xerxes sounds like exactly, so here are impressions I wrote for all three cables from my CanJam SG article:

PWAudio Saladin: The Saladin is what looks like a copper-silver hybrid within cable’s individual cores. Sonically though, it assumes the spiritual successor to Peter Wong’s highly-acclaimed No. 5 cable. Like the No. 5, the Saladin excels at organicity because of its natural timbre. The Saladin’s richness stems from its elevated low-end. Although its impact is more natural than it is basshead-inclined, the Saladin’s bass is warm, bloomy and buttery in texture. A calmed treble response allows this richness to fill the stage, infusing midrange notes with proper body as well as an exquisite tone. The Saladin presents vocals and instruments alike with great intimacy and forwardness.

Due to an accentuated lower-midrange, the Saladin is chestier than it is articulative or sparkly. But, energy in the lower-treble aids clarity, imbuing the Saladin with proper technical performance beyond just sheer musicality. Top-end extension is where the Saladin falters a tad. Although its upper-treble roll-off is crucial in determining its tone, I can’t help but hear a lack of finesse in separation and organisation. The Saladin’s presentation isn’t the neatest, but it wins bigin naturalness, engagement and tone. It’s an incredibly admirable effort as far as entry-level cables are concerned, and its signature alone will find tons of admiration across the globe.

PWAudio Saladin+: Where the Saladin wavers, the Saladin+ absolutely shines. The 8-wire variant of the cable retains its inherent signature: Warm, rich and tonally accurate with a mid-bass bias. But, where the Saladin+ truly improves is – crucially – treble extension. Generously infusing the stage with headroom, the Saladin+ performs excellently in stage stability, openness and left-right separation whilst maintaining a gorgeous, warm timbre. Mid-bass jabs are now paired with airy and spacious undertones – serving up a baby version of the clear and layered low-end response present in the flagship 1950s. Midrange notes no longer feel too full, as the stage around them expands decently in all directions. Fortunately, vocals and instruments alike still maintain the same sense of density and richness. The treble – again – gains in extension to produce more articulate, refined and transparent notes. Linearity is maintained as to not mess with timbre – concluding the Saladin+ as an admirable performer in both timbre and technicality.

PWAudio Xerxes: The Xerxes is a triple-metal hybrid consisting of silver, copper and gold in varying quantities. But, sonically, it’s a bit of a chimera in performance as well. Although it has its own set flavour, the Xerxes is a cable that juggles multiple elements in the hopes of executing them all with minimal compromise. The first of which is vocal density and clarity. By attenuating the warmth of the bass and accentuating lower-midrange body, the Xerxes boosts vocal presence whilst instilling a brighter tone. But, richness and body – its second aspect – are maintained through excellent top-end control. Linear and well-extended, the Xerxes adds just enough sparkle for clarity’s sake, but remains smooth at all times. Finally, stage transparency benefits from the leaner presentation. At the end of the day, the Xerxes is a cable you won’t necessarily enjoy if you’re looking for a full and thump-y low-end. But, if you’re looking for a balance between butteriness, finesse and headroom, then the Xerxes will serve you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back