Eee PC...
Apr 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #31 of 85
My 2G battery (which has lower capacity than the stock 4G battery) lasts maybe an hour with wifi on. You asked about a replacement battery. Well, you can use any of the EEE batteries with the 2G - it takes the same form factor battery as the others. There is a 10,000+ mah battery that's available from China. I would suspect it would last at least 4 hours, and longer with wifi off, dimming screen, etc. But I have not used it. It is big and results in a large bump on the back of the laptop.

I think the audio out of the eee, stock, is pretty decent for computer output. I can't comment on a comparison with the HP MiniNote.

RE atom processor - there is always something better around the corner. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's not. I wouldn't want to use the eee for cpu intensive tasks like video encoding, but for typical laptop use (web surfing, email, office tasks, playing music or videos) even my slow 2G processor works fine.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #32 of 85
For your purposes, eightbit, I think the EeePC is a good buy.

Your concerns are very well-placed: the small screen can be a huge strain!

However, in my opinion the 7" screen is completely usable - for short periods of time. The reason I decided that I couldn't keep the EeePC was because I was relying on it as my sole source of computing. Staring at a 7" screen for hours on end while trying to write a paper = no fun.

As a toy or an on-the-go interface for the web, the EeePC is simply brilliant. As a primary computer? Urp. (Perhaps the 8.9" screen will give the EeePC another shot at this.)

For users, I highly recommend the use of the Opera web browser. Fullscreen mode hides everything (including scrollbars), which helps a lot.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #33 of 85
Any remote chance of running Windows XP on one of these devices? I'm looking for a small, inexpensive laptop for location recording purposes. Though now that I think of it, if all I'm doing is basic recording and editing on location, there are probably Linux freeware programs that could handle the task.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #34 of 85
infinitesymphony: yes, you can run xp on any of them. I run xp on my 2G. I was not comfortable with linux. I have an 8gig sd card, and install most of my programs and files to it. You can nlite the xp install to save space. Alternatively, they have issued an XP version out of the box, but it costs a bit more. I've never actually seen the EEE that comes with XP. There are very good directions on the eeeuser form for getting XP onto the eee. The easiest way is with a USB cdrom.

I totally agree with Slag. EEE would not be good as your only PC. Screen and keyboard are too small for intensive work. It makes a great second computer (or in my case, 7th computer) though.

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #35 of 85
It seems like it would be a great machine for running old DOS apps or older Windows apps. Would be cool to have a dedicated WordPerfect 5.1 or Grandview or Ecco computer. I'd have to get one of the extended batteries though.

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #36 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like it would be a great machine for running old DOS apps or older Windows apps.

Speaking of older applications, how well does the EEE screen handle non-native resolutions? Its native res. of 1024x600 is non-standard, so most programs would need some sort of correction to be in the proper aspect ratio.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, in my opinion the 7" screen is completely usable - for short periods of time. The reason I decided that I couldn't keep the EeePC was because I was relying on it as my sole source of computing. Staring at a 7" screen for hours on end while trying to write a paper = no fun.

As a toy or an on-the-go interface for the web, the EeePC is simply brilliant. As a primary computer? Urp. (Perhaps the 8.9" screen will give the EeePC another shot at this.)

To be honest I'm not sure a 9, 12 or 13" screen would usable if it was your only screen either. Am I the only one that needs a larger monitor for a lot of work? I haven't owned a desktop in years, but still have external monitors (which the Eee does well with). Same with many laptop keyboards.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #38 of 85
I can work on 13.3 and above for hours but I much a larger 24inch/30in screen

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 85
Man, I ordered an 8 GB on Sunday after I thought I researched it thoroughly enough to avoid a near future upgrade. Then the next day I see this thread and hear about the 900. I got it thru Buy.com which has like no return policy. So I guess I am stuck with the 7 in screen.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I ordered an 8 GB on Sunday after I thought I researched it thoroughly enough to avoid a near future upgrade. Then the next day I see this thread and hear about the 900. I got it thru Buy.com which has like no return policy. So I guess I am stuck with the 7 in screen.

If you really want the 9 screen you can reject the package no? Surely Buy.com has an unopened return policy?
confused.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #42 of 85
I'd call Buy.com and ask about unopened returns (either the mail box or the product packaging itself).

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #43 of 85
So the 8 GB came today. So far it is very cool, very easy. My only issue is getting my 2 move to work. Once connected to the usb the volume still comes out of the speakers/HP out. It does not seem to recognize it. Any suggestions???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back