Eee PC...
Apr 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm thinking about getting a new toy. I work as a mechanic at a bowling alley, and I have pretty much nothing but downtime, so I'm looking for a good media toy. I thought about getting an archos because they can play divx and whatnot out of the box, but then I started thinking about an eee pc. I've found 16gb sdhc cards for a mere 50 dollars, so the hdd isn't an issue, and I already type on a micro keyboard on my desktop (don't ask...).

Does anyone own a Eee PC? The only thing that has me iffy is of course the very very tiny screen... I will ONLY be using it to watch divx videos, playing snes roms, and of course chatting and email- does it sound like it'll do the job okay? I would just get a normal lappy, but this thing would almost fit in my pocket, and I can use a 3G usb for wireless web anywhere I go.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 85
I have one. It's nifty. Very cool, and pulls chicks. It's cool for intertubes, documents, etc. Plays videos fine. Light. Cheap. Just big enough for my big hands to type on. I installed Ubuntu 7.10, which is a bit unstable when it comes to restarting and suspending, but is still worth it. Way better than a smart phone. I just keep everything on an SD card.

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 85
I've had one since they were released in NA, and honestly I've got nothing but praise for it. I'm using the "advanced desktop" for the default xandros distro, and even that does the job great. Honestly I can't recommend it highly enough.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 85
One eee user here too, works just fine, thou no chance of running photoshop, but thats what bigger machines are for.. Divx plays fine from SD-cards, snes works, I've also tried openarena, which worked great. It sounds pretty good with Pico too. Anyway, I use mine mainly for email, web and skype, and thats where it shines.
But in your situation, I'd may wait for the 8.9-inch screen version, bigger screen is always better. And it should be coming out pretty soon.

Hands-on with the 9-inch Eee PC - Engadget

Eeeuser.com

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 85
I'd hold off and wait for the 900 also, especially with the rumored price points.

For basic tasks, and a glorified media player its awesome. I'd say its perfect for a student who'll be using it just for regular tasks, or the your everyday geek. The people who complain about its lack of power just don't get it. It doesn't need it. and people who complain about it's size are just as bad. It's no work horse that I'd use for photoshop, that's what my desktop is for. It's not something I'd pull out of my pocket or bag while in line for food, thats what my mobile handset is for. It's made for those times when I want to sit in front of the TV, and chat online while browsing craigslist, when I want to get work done at the local boba spot, etc.

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 85
I was thinking about waiting for the 900 model, but the speakers on it are supposed to be very terrible. I know lappys have bad speakers usually, but I also know that the 700 models have speakers that can do okay volume (for divx and emulators).

Thanks for all the input
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 85
Eee is great, but at least compare with the Cloudbook (if you need storage) and HP Mini Note (if you want a step up).

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

I was thinking about waiting for the 900 model, but the speakers on it are supposed to be very terrible. I know lappys have bad speakers usually, but I also know that the 700 models have speakers that can do okay volume (for divx and emulators).

the speakers are actually usable, that is true. The FFVI/III world map theme comes through nice and clear.

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 85
Yet another Eee user here.

I gotta say, it's awesome for the price. I upgraded to 1GB RAM and got an 8GB SDHC card for it for only $50. I wasn't a fan of the Xandros that it came with (in basic or advanced mode) because the software repositories had practically nothing in them. So, I installed Ubuntu and have been very, very happy.

The wireless internet card in it works great and usually gets really good Wi-Fi reception.

The size of the screen is slightly annoying at times, but only when websites need side-scrolling. But again, I knew this going in so I'm not complaining or criticizing. I got exactly what I wanted in it, and couldn't be happier with my decision.

I highly recommend getting one as well.

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 85
forget about the EEE. although it is brilliant, the new HP 2133 Mini-Note PC blows it out of the water. it looks brilliant, has a much better keyboard and scree. it has a better:
processor (1.2ghz)
RAM (1 gig)
Hard drive (120 gig vs 4.. hmmni wonder which is better)
Screen
Keyboard
Casing (aluminium vs plastic)
there are two versions, the linux one and the vista one. Its up to you which one to get, but i think the vista ones better for hardware and value, and if u want linux, just install it yourself. youre not exactly running out of space, and its free/ its 499 for linux and 599 for vista.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forget about the EEE. although it is brilliant, the new HP 2133 Mini-Note PC blows it out of the water. it looks brilliant, has a much better keyboard and scree. it has a better:
processor (1.2ghz)
RAM (1 gig)
Hard drive (120 gig vs 4.. hmmni wonder which is better)
Screen
Keyboard
Casing (aluminium vs plastic)
there are two versions, the linux one and the vista one. Its up to you which one to get, but i think the vista ones better for hardware and value, and if u want linux, just install it yourself. youre not exactly running out of space, and its free/ its 499 for linux and 599 for vista.

VIA C7M processor.. *shudders*

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VIA C7M processor.. *shudders*

Yep. Why HP couldn't have waited for the Via CN or the Intel Atom is beyond me.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 85
i think they are going to release a refresh once it comes out. well that according to cnet if i remember right. they wanted to release it now to compete with the asus 900 that is going to be out soon. and its still better than the asus one.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 85
the eee is very nice, I just wish it had more capacity. I would love to be able to through a 1.8inch drive in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back