Edition 8's Just Arrived!
Dec 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Edition 8's just arrived and WOW are they great.

So far they come closer to the balance of my speaker rig (Focal Grande Utopia) then any headphone I have tried.

They have great imaging, the mids are very well presented and not too forward, top end is detailed but not too bright (tried them unamplified and they stayed well behaved), mid bass has great control, bass is superb in both extension and speed with outstanding dynamics and micro dynamics.

Comfort is excellent and I actually find them to be as comfortable as a CS or PS1000 even though they grab your head more. The only thing that will take getting used to for me is the closed design as it just has an odd feel to it that I can't describe. I can however listen at very low levels which I can't do with open cans and I do like that.

The build quality and materials choice is amazing and what every headphone in this price range should be and isn't. The headphone cable is the only disappointing part of the package but obviously is decent from a sonic perspective (need to replace it though).

I am feeding them from a Phonitor and I have heard others say that the PS1000 may edge them out but even if they do, the Edition 8's are VERY portable. I would love to take these on trips instead of my ER4s but I think I would be too afraid of scratching them if I tried to use them on the plane or having them crushed in my bag.

Anyone considering these will not be disappointed. And for a high-end portable, I can't imagine anything nicer.

nice!!- how do they compare to the denon 7000 or the dx1000
iprefer the denon 7000 stock over the dx1000 stock
7000 has more bass punch while dx1000 has more seperation
highs are close but 7000 sounds much thicker leavin dx sounding thin

how might the edtion 8 hold up

i do think they are the most aesthetically pleasing cans.

merry chritsmas

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice!!- how do they compare to the denon 7000 or the dx1000
iprefer the denon 7000 stock over the dx1000 stock
7000 has more bass punch while dx1000 has more seperation
highs are close but 7000 sounds much thicker leavin dx sounding thin

how might the edtion 8 hold up

i do think they are the most aesthetically pleasing cans.

merry chritsmas

No idea as I have never done the comparison. I'm sure others have though.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #49 of 57
I can't help with the D7K comparison, but I have previously owned the D5K and the JVC DX1K, and while both initially sounded very good, I finally decided that the sound was not what I hear live...in other words, they reproduced recordings very well, but ultimately lacked that intangible sense of realism, so they found new homes.

The Ed. 8, more than any phone I have owned, just renders the timbre and harmonics of the music in a very convincingly realistic manner. It is as near tonally perfect as I have experienced.

The soundstage is not as large as the JVC, K1000s, or HD800s, but spatially, everything just seems correct.

The build quality surpasses any headphone that I have ever owned or seen!

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not mean to hijack the thread but mine arrived today and i am slightly speechless atm.. this things images like a champion... I bought this over the HD-800 and boy am I happy.
This is so different from the oher ultrasones I have heard. pure magic. i am listening to the music, not worrying about the headphone..woohooooo
last but not the least, these things need a royal kick in the backside to drive..
and these babies love amping.
Anyone with small ears beware.. I must be lucky to be blessed with an oversized noggin and perfect ears that fit any headphones.
build quality is beyond fantastic. I am a fan of both the japanese (not all of it) and german styling and these have the elegance of a japanese design with the teutonic perfection of german build quality. awesomeness.

I certainly agree with your assessment of the built quality and SQ. I have made a lot of poor decisions in my audio lifetime, but canceling my HD800 order and purchasing the Ed 8s was not one of them!

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #52 of 57
Have you two auditioned the HD 800 before gotten this? ED 8 have severely damped any lust to try new gear. Though I suppose you can never totally extinguish it but it certainly showned a path away from it. Not that I don´t believe there is headphones that can make things better... Technically at least musically I am not at all that sure!

I got a 33 day trial on mine and well maybe it has expired already I don´t know. I have hunted for things that I would get tired of or etc but they are still hugely impressive. Since long run passed other headphones I initially enjoyed but then found quirks I thought I couldn´t live with for one reason or another.

The quirks I found is pretty much the same as from my initial impressions. Soundstage are a bit to cramped in comparison to Pro 900. Not first choice for movies thus. The perfect headphone would be this but massive soundstage but still sounding just as rich... Eating the cake and still have it I suppose. Like the Pro 900 it´s as correct as I ever got with a headphone but you just get less space and thus separation to work with that makes it harder to separate instruments.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also suspect the rolled off treble and smaller ear cups play parts as well. And the colouration the ED 8 has which I wouldn´t say annoy me but which kills the transparency together with the soundstaging. It´s kind of strange because it´s not really a colour but it does add some shimmer or something. It´s quite subtle and suspect adds more then it distract for music. For movies it´s not quite as beneficial then it surely is an annoyance!. Thank god for my Pro 900 then.

As for comfort they went from oh this will never work till quite good. Absolutely not perfect though. They make no attempt to disappear from my ears but you go ooh the ethiopian sheep leather is so soft once every 5 minutes instead. It make it easier to live with some light pressure points. I have never felt them actually heart but feeling the headphones on your head make nothing to enhance suspension of disbelief regarding soundstaging. The headband is an improvement though. Nice not to have to fine tune the positioning like I had to on the Pro 900 to make sure it didn´t rub anywhere.

As for build quality time will tell but it surely give a very nice impression but maybe there is some hidden joints that can break somewhere. Who knows
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you two auditioned the HD 800 before gotten this? ED 8 have severely damped any lust to try new gear. Though I suppose you can never totally extinguish it but it certainly showned a path away from it. Not that I don´t believe there is headphones that can make things better... Technically at least musically I am not at all that sure!

most certainly did, I have spent close to 10 hours with the HD800s at three different retailers to spread out my listening and have used most of music genres in combination with the my other listening gear. so i have something to fallback on in terms of impressions...

I will wait for the HD800 to fall in price now before venturing to get one. I have spent 7 hours on the ed8's already and i like what I am hearing.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the ed8's and hd800's in my room right now while both are different I have my preferences
very_evil_smiley.gif

What? Do you prefer the HD800's. If so, please share why you do.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wondering, on my edition 8s.....the notches that hold the ear cup in a registered position are looser than I would expect. Is this normal?

It would appear so since I've noted the same thing with mine. Since I have no problem at all with the adjustment shifting while I'm actually wearing them, I'll assume that it was intended.

May 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #57 of 57
Bump... I would like to hear impressions with the stock cable and with the extension on your highest grade audiophile setup?

I have run 95 % of the time ith an extender for practical reason and want to cross reference if my findings are correct or the result of placebo after running without the extender. I am banking my forehead bloody after the percepted findings I got :wink: Does anyone have access to a super precise SPL metre. I suppose the volume go up some not using the 3m extended cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back