edited
Dec 29, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #18 of 34
do you think itd be worthwhile to buy the 9wave, considering that i already own the piano forte (yeah i kinda jumped the gun on that one...)? i do like the presentation of the piano forte, and as i told you in a PM the use of the yurbuds really adds presence to the bass while maintaining/bringing forward the rest of the sound, yet with my other buds (pk1/pk3), while it still adds presence to the bass, it makes the rest of the presentation sound muddy unless i can get a perfect seal (which isnt easy, especially while moving around). buuut i find the yuin buds to be more comfortable and they 'disappear' better than the piano forte. also i often listen to earbuds straight out of my ipod 5g headphone jack at work (don't want to risk damaging t3 and lod). i often listen to instrumental/ambient music; i listen to a lot of buckethead and stuff like that, modest mouse, pacific uv, pg.lost...i very much like good instrument separation and staging.

stupid consumerism.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 34

Quote:
do you think itd be worthwhile to buy the 9wave, considering that i already own the piano forte (yeah i kinda jumped the gun on that one...)? i do like the presentation of the piano forte, and as i told you in a PM the use of the yurbuds really adds presence to the bass while maintaining/bringing forward the rest of the sound, yet with my other buds (pk1/pk3), while it still adds presence to the bass, it makes the rest of the presentation sound muddy unless i can get a perfect seal (which isnt easy, especially while moving around). buuut i find the yuin buds to be more comfortable and they 'disappear' better than the piano forte. also i often listen to earbuds straight out of my ipod 5g headphone jack at work (don't want to risk damaging t3 and lod). i often listen to instrumental/ambient music; i listen to a lot of buckethead and stuff like that, modest mouse, pacific uv, pg.lost...i very much like good instrument separation and staging.

stupid consumerism.

I am an avid fan of his as well :)  Im heavy into fusion guitar, guthrie govan, bireli lagrene, mr. bucket, marco sfogli ect ect....The sound and enjoyment factor is much higher on the 9wave, but the sound quality itself seems better on the charm.  The charm and pk1 are very similar in every way, the charm has more bass thickness but the sound quality is damn near the same.  So, the 9wave sounds much more lively, engaging and fun to listen to.  However, the charm/pk1 might have superior sound quality.  That doesnt mean better.  Im really tired of tiny stage size and poor separation and immersion.  The 9wave is a killer.  It's bright, lively, extremely large sounding with 10/10 separation compared to the pk1 and charm, it is also very forward.  It is a different experience from the charm and MX880 which are the same price, however, I dont use either anymore since I now own the 9wave plastic version

sadly, Ive encountered some serious flaws in the metal version of the 9wave.  Im very unhappy, there are some serious problems with it.  The earpads will not stay on, each time I pull them out of my ears the pads remain inside my ear lol, I tried other brand pads on them and they get stuck inside my ear often, they slip right off very easily.  The sound quality is getting harsh, highs can get too piercing at times and there is a massive problem with the bass.  On my sansa clip I have to literally remove the bass completely or suffer a huge distorted sound.  They are extremely bass light and it makes it sound and feel unbalanced. 

None of these problems are present in the plastic version, which right now is my absolute favorite earbud.  True it might lack some audio quality, but it certainly makes up for it with the massive stage and immersion second to NONE.  Even the mx980 lacks compared to the plastic 9wave.  Now, Im sure 9wave will get to fixing the metal version, as I had a demo version and it may not be at all the final product.  As it looks, the plastic version is a yuin killer.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 34

Quote:
Quote:

stupid consumerism.

I am an avid fan of his as well :)  Im heavy into fusion guitar, guthrie govan, bireli lagrene, mr. bucket, marco sfogli ect ect....The sound and enjoyment factor is much higher on the 9wave, but the sound quality itself seems better on the charm.  The charm and pk1 are very similar in every way, the charm has more bass thickness but the sound quality is damn near the same.  So, the 9wave sounds much more lively, engaging and fun to listen to.  However, the charm/pk1 might have superior sound quality.  That doesnt mean better.  Im really tired of tiny stage size and poor separation and immersion.  The 9wave is a killer.  It's bright, lively, extremely large sounding with 10/10 separation compared to the pk1 and charm, it is also very forward.  It is a different experience from the charm and MX880 which are the same price, however, I dont use either anymore since I now own the 9wave plastic version

sadly, Ive encountered some serious flaws in the metal version of the 9wave.  Im very unhappy, there are some serious problems with it.  The earpads will not stay on, each time I pull them out of my ears the pads remain inside my ear lol, I tried other brand pads on them and they get stuck inside my ear often, they slip right off very easily.  The sound quality is getting harsh, highs can get too piercing at times and there is a massive problem with the bass.  On my sansa clip I have to literally remove the bass completely or suffer a huge distorted sound.  They are extremely bass light and it makes it sound and feel unbalanced. 

None of these problems are present in the plastic version, which right now is my absolute favorite earbud.  True it might lack some audio quality, but it certainly makes up for it with the massive stage and immersion second to NONE.  Even the mx980 lacks compared to the plastic 9wave.  Now, Im sure 9wave will get to fixing the metal version, as I had a demo version and it may not be at all the final product.  As it looks, the plastic version is a yuin killer.

but what about the forte? you said the presentation is similar between the two, but that the 9wave has better separation and staging?

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 34
A nice update:

I frigged with the EQ for the past few days and found that the set reacts very well to a null EQ, meaning nothing on my Clip.  Remove all the EQ and it sounds more clear and natural than ever, BUT, I also tested the EQ fully maxed on all the settings on the sansa clip and said WOW for the first time in a long time, the presentation moved forward a bit and overall smoothness evened out a lot, bass quality improved significantly.  

Dang...these get better and better the more I listen.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #23 of 34
Are there any news on where to buy the 9Waves?
The Japanese website doesn't provide any info (neither does a Google search), except for the release date of Feb 4th.
Hopefully you are at liberty to share your source now, and make a) us happy and b) them a lot of money :wink:

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #25 of 34
OK, I just wrote with Dimitri, and he tells me "No there is no such a thing as PLASTIC VERSON of NW-Studio Pro.There is only one version and it is the great -metal one".
This kinda shatters my hopes and dreams for the ultimate affordable earbud...

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #26 of 34
9waves official site gives you the information you are looking for right on the front page.  The NW Studio is not available yet, it is coming soon.  The NW Pro model was released before the
( plastic ) version

http://9wave.jp/english.html

If Dimitri needs more info, tell him to contact me :wink:

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #27 of 34
So the pro model is the metal one? Looking at the website, I only see the Studio model listed, for $180.  When is the plastic one coming out?  If it's the metal or nothing, I'll look elsewhere as it's more than I want to spend.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 34
The NW Studio PRO is the all aluminum model.  The NW Studio version has not been released yet and is coming very soon, I do not have a confirmed release date for the NW Studio.  Hopefully all the information will be updated once 9wave works out the sponsorship details here with head fi, after that I will post all the new information that I can.  

The NW Studio is worth the wait.  The demand for them is pretty big, and from a small new company it isn't easy to meet demands :)

-mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back