edited
Dec 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 34
Quote:
overall this set has just bumped the Forte off my list due to it playing fusion guitar tracks, rock and metal so great.  I am very happy.

Well that didn't last long.
tongue.gif

This is the first I've heard of a cheaper version of the 9Wave earbuds.  I'm glad they decided to make these more accessible.  Not too thrilled about the "piercing" treble though...

Anyway, thanks for the impressions!

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 34
Highs are NOT piercing, they are just crisp and very engaging.  When the high notes from a high hat or screaming guitar hit, they hit hard but as I said not enough to say its too much.  Maybe piercing was the wrong choice of words to use, very engaging and lively are more accurate terms.  I said it was unlike grado highs ( which are very piercing ) but they remain high enough to remain lively, but not too high to cause discomfort or a sense of unbalance

And yes, the 9w Metal version review will be coming soon.  The Forte didn't last long at all haha and in my review I did mention that it was likely to be trumped by the new 9w, I was right :)

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 34
nice review, interested in the plug type and also, does it come with strain relief? because from the pics, i don't see any

thanks for the review

James

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 34
Straight plug and its solid, it doesn't give or bend until the very end of it, only the last fraction of an inch moves a little and not much even then.  The bottom of the housing is also a little flexible right above the white and red rings ( sorry about the first pic it looks pink, its really red, camera flash makes it hard to get RED colors to show ).  Its also got a slider on it that I forgot to mention.  Microphonics are low, the cord rests in a comfortable place and doesnt at all get in my face when I am sitting or standing.

Build quality is what you would expect and all plastic housing to be, lol.  It feels like plastic and is just as easily broken as any other plastic set like yuins or Mx580.  It feels hallow but again this is the budget model, there is an all metal version that is coming soon.  

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 34
Jeez, what's with all the high-quality earbuds all of a sudden? Not that I mind! I had all but given up on the product category until I heard Sennheiser's amazing MX980.
Now there's Sunrise Audio, Final Audio, 9wave et al. Not too long ago, Yuin seemed to be the only company still believing in the future of earbuds.

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 34
Ive always been an earbud man, I prefer the small form factor, comfort and personal staging they offer over full size because im always moving around.  I hope this is a new trend and even more great new tech comes out. more people use the stock ipod earbuds than anything and they are a hanging style, so its only natural to cater to those people with much nicer higher quality buds.

And yes the Mx980 is seriously something special but I'm beyond excited to hear the 9wave version.  I placed the overall sound quality between the mx580 and the mx880.  So, I think its safe to predict the 9wave metal version will be direct competition with that mx980.  Im so excited :)  Where the mx980 is a more neutral experience, Im sure the 9wave will be a great upgrade to the more colored experience.  

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 34
Well here's to hoping that 9wave will find a distributor in Germany then! I really like my AS-Charms, but it would be great to have something more akin to the MX980, which is still a little too expensive for me. And the more colored sound would be a nice addition to the more neutral AS-Charm.

I totally agree as far as form factor and its benefits are concerned. From my experience, soundstage tends to be bigger than with most IEMs, which is nice. The general signature seems to be more laid-back too, maybe due to the less intrusive positioning compared to IEMs. And they're just way more convenient to wear most of the time. The TF10 for example is a b*tch to get a proper fit with, whereas the AS-Charm basically falls into position automatically. Then again, the Sennheiser MX760 seems to have been a little too bulky for my ears..

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 34
I have mx980 fit issues and I am terrible bias towards neutral headphones, I really hate them.   I love my Charms as well, they scale up like no other set of earbuds Ive ever used, even the m980 didnt scale up that much from unamped via the sansa clip.  I think the 9wave metal studio version is going to be pretty awesome and a great alternative to the mx980, but with far better comfort.  The plastic 9w is more comfortable than the Fortes, im sure the metal version will be the same which is a godsend to me and a lot of other people I know who love the sennheisers, but are upset about their comfort, or lack there of.  Each of the similarly priced sets, the charms, 9wave plastic version, mx880, all offer their own unique sounds and qualities.  

I cant say which is better, but as it looks right now the mx880 is the most clear sounding with the most bass, however its the least comfortable, the charm has the biggest stage and upscales to a point of disbelief when you use a very expensive amp ( i plugged them into a buddies super expensive amp and my heart skipped a beat ), but the 9wave has the most comfort and the best personal stage i've used thus far.  I guess that means a forward, centered experience, where as the others are not so personal feeling, more distant and less enveloping.  Even though the 9wave and forte have the smallest stage, its still the most involving and that is what its all about.  All the audio clarity in the world means nothing if the set is not fun to listen to or engaging.  The mx980 is not engaging.  Its a 2d widescreen effect, its not dynamic in terms of depth ( a lot like the Fischer Audio Eterna vs Silver bullet...the eterna has a great depth value but its not so wide, it sounds involving and there is noticeable space in the depth of field in front of you where as the silver bullet is a widescreen 2d effect, its very wide but it does nothing for you and is not involving like the eterna is )

The mx980 is like the silver bullet, its got a great big stage with not so good depth and its neutral, two qualities that should never exist together.  However its sound quality and bass is lightyears ahead of anything else in the style of earbuds.  The Charm is middle ground, its got good depth and a good size stage, but to get its true value you need an amp that costs $300+

My Ibasso D1 and Headsix are terribly insufficient, but both power it enough to enjoy.  Its just that again it scales to the point of insanity and changes very well with amping.  The 9 wave sounds awesome right out of the sansa clip, designed again I think to play well at low volume.  That sense of insufficient quality doesnt exist on it.   Im as giddy as a school girl to hear the 9wave metal version.  It could very well be almost everything Ive ever wanted in an earbud.  

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 34
I found the MX980 to be highly engaging. I guess that just goes to show once again that music is a highly subjective matter. Granted, I've only listened to them for maybe half an hour during our Berlin meet. But I instantly fell in love. And they fit great too, as opposed to my MX760. Weird, huh?

Interesting point about the Charm's scalability btw. I'm currently looking for a Headsix or a mini^3, because I feel like my E7 and CMOY just don't do it for some of my gear. I guess I'm gonna have to try the Charm with my Little Dot and the Bravo amp. The latter is the only one capable of properly driving my AKG K340.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
Highs are NOT piercing, they are just crisp and very engaging.  When the high notes from a high hat or screaming guitar hit, they hit hard but as I said not enough to say its too much.  Maybe piercing was the wrong choice of words to use, very engaging and lively are more accurate terms.  I said it was unlike grado highs ( which are very piercing ) but they remain high enough to remain lively, but not too high to cause discomfort or a sense of unbalance

And yes, the 9w Metal version review will be coming soon.  The Forte didn't last long at all haha and in my review I did mention that it was likely to be trumped by the new 9w, I was right :)

What a relief!  Thank you for the clarification good sir!

*Anxiously awaits aluminum 9Wave reivew*

Quote:
Ive always been an earbud man, I prefer the small form factor, comfort and personal staging they offer over full size because im always moving around.  I hope this is a new trend and even more great new tech comes out. more people use the stock ipod earbuds than anything and they are a hanging style, so its only natural to cater to those people with much nicer higher quality buds.

Agree with everything you said here.
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
I found the MX980 to be highly engaging. I guess that just goes to show once again that music is a highly subjective matter. Granted, I've only listened to them for maybe half an hour during our Berlin meet. But I instantly fell in love. And they fit great too, as opposed to my MX760. Weird, huh?

Interesting point about the Charm's scalability btw. I'm currently looking for a Headsix or a mini^3, because I feel like my E7 and CMOY just don't do it for some of my gear. I guess I'm gonna have to try the Charm with my Little Dot and the Bravo amp. The latter is the only one capable of properly driving my AKG K340.

I know a lot of people who are having trouble with the mx980 fit.  Its just big, the housing is too large for my ears and the difference from just letting them rest on your ears to pushing them into your head and holding them there, is significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back