Edifiers S2000 Pro Recommendations
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EW0LF

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i bought the Edifiers S2000 Pro, i've been testing them for the last 2 days but i came across some problems:
1 - They sound AMAZING connected via Bluetooth.
2 - They sound terrible connected with balanced cables on the AG06.
3 - They sound good connected with RCA on the AG06.

Now...why is that? How can my S10+ make a better sound via BT than connected to the AG06 both RCA or XLR Balanced?

What dac should i choose to have the most of the S200Pro?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 6
"DSP-Based Electronic Crossover and Dynamic Management
The S2000Pro uses an application of new electro-acoustic technology. Taking advantage of two Texas Instruments digital processing DSP chips, TLV320AIC3254, the S2000Pro uses its miniDSP function to reach the culmination of incredibly loud and heavy bass. Independent of the electronic crossover and dynamic management, the S2000Pro offers precise control of frequency allocation for the bookshelf loudspeaker performance."

Edifier's DSP might be doing a lot more than just crossovers but it doesn't work through the XLR input as they assume anybody using XLRs would want whatever is upstream to be heard without modification apart from the speakers' response.

In short...there's a chance that what sounds good through BT is like applying an EQ profile to a K702 to make it sound like an RS1e.

What's puzzling is how RCA seem to be somewhere in-between, unless the DSP works like BBE MediaXpander where the bass EQ profile is designed to compensate for what gets trimmed by mp3 compression plus a bit more, and Edifier assumes that using RCA (and XLR for that matter) means you're using lossless audio transmitted lossless via cables (vs BT where even if you use lossless you still end up with compression under BT).

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 6
The S2000Pro uses an application of new electro-acoustic technology. Taking advantage of two Texas Instruments digital processing DSP chips, TLV320AIC3254, the S2000Pro uses its miniDSP function to reach the culmination of incredibly loud and heavy bass. Independent of the electronic crossover and dynamic management, the S2000Pro offers precise control of frequency allocation for the bookshelf loudspeaker performance."

Edifier's DSP might be doing a lot more than just crossovers but it doesn't work through the XLR input as they assume anybody using XLRs would want whatever is upstream to be heard without modification apart from the speakers' response.

In short...there's a chance that what sounds good through BT is like applying an EQ profile to a K702 to make it sound like an RS1e.

What's puzzling is how RCA seem to be somewhere in-between, unless the DSP works like BBE MediaXpander where the bass EQ profile is designed to compensate for what gets trimmed by mp3 compression plus a bit more, and Edifier assumes that using RCA (and XLR for that matter) means you're using lossless audio transmitted lossless via cables (vs BT where even if you use lossless you still end up with compression under BT).

I've been running some tests last couple hours and the only thing that sounds 98% close to BT is the optical in...and its connected to my onboard sound card, not even a dedicated soundcard. Anything obliterates the Yamaha AG06, everything sounds much better...so right now im sitting out my DAC for the time being.

Still...BT still the best sound, but im running it on optical on my pc until i decide to buy a need DAC and cables. But like you said, i cant understand how BT sounds better.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 6

Hi,
I just bought these and noticed the eq doesn’t work on balanced inputs. So, to clarify what your saying, the eq nor the rotary bass/treble work when using Balanced ?
Thanks

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi,
I just bought these and noticed the eq doesn’t work on balanced inputs. So, to clarify what your saying, the eq nor the rotary bass/treble work when using Balanced ?
Thanks

DSP = DIGITAL Signal Processing.

That balanced input is analogue, not digital.

The DSP is in the Digital signal path, right after its digital input and before its DAC. It is very rare for an analogue input to work with a DSP because then that necessitates an ADC, which means you play digital audio, DAC it, ADC it, DSP it, then DAC it again, then amplify. This is rarely done because of signal degradation save for applications where it has tradeoffs that outweigh that, like in cars. Instead of ripping out the stock audio system where now the panels are integrated with the climate control etc controls on the dash instead of a 1DIN receiver, you just take the car's stock electronics' (that probably has satellite radio plus Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, GPS, etc) analogue output, feed it into a processor like an ///////ALPINE H660, where it gets ADC-ed then DSP-ed then DAC-ed again before going into the active preamp output towards theaftermarket amplifiers,and in such a system it allows for individual crossover controls to each driver type (tweeter or midrange+tweeter/fullrange driver, midbass or midwoofer, then the subwoofer) and independent time alignment to sync the driver side tweeter, driver side midwoofer, passenger side tweeter, and passenger side midwoofer to the subwoofer in the back by introducing custom time delays to each of the four drivers such that the sound out of each driver arrives at the driver's ears as if he were sitting smack in the center with two speakers in front and subwoofer out in the middle in front of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back