Edifier Headphones and Earphones (H850, H290... etc)
Nov 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bhazard

Headphoneus Supremus
Another Asian brand that no one seems to know of here in the states is Edifier. I believe they recently bought Stax, and they have been in the speaker market for quite some time... yet there is no info on their headphones and earphones here on Head-Fi.

Here is a quick quote on the H850...

"The Edifier h850 received an equal subjective score compared with the Sennheiser hd800 on the Golden ears website. It was voiced by Phil Jones. To bad you can't find them in the states. Phil Jones actually has the same phones rebranded in his own company's line up. A little more expensive than the Edifier's retail price."

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=14836

Some malaysian review:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2716909/all

I just got these headphones in for under $50, and they are excellent. They are somewhat bass light to me, but using them on my Aune T1 with a tube is fantastic. It adds that extra bit of bass texture back in.

http://www.ramboxs.com.hk/edifier/H850.html

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 25
I recently bought a pair of this Edifier H850 and I'm impressed by its performance. I mean, I'm no audiophile, neither I do know how to make a good review, but all I can say is it's much better than the pair of so popular Sennheiser HD 439 I also own.

Comparing one another, Edifier's treble is much better, mids are excellent, there's a lot of clarity in the sound. It's excellent for classical, pop and rock genres. It's downside is it's not that good for bassheads.

Therefore, those who love bass should avoid these headphones, because you won't hear punchy and clear bass, but a rather clear, crystal trebly sound.

It's really comfortable on your head. Another downside is it has some distortion when sound is at high (meaning intense) volume. Also, you can hear some hissing when hearing very trebly sound.

Otherwise that, it has very good stereo separation and I got it really cheaper than Sennheiser's.

I'm using it with a Fiio e11 and it I'd say it's worth it using with an amp indeed because it's sensitivity is only 96 db.

I hope I have helped those interested on buying it.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 25
  I recently bought a pair of this Edifier H850 and I'm impressed by its performance. I mean, I'm no audiophile, neither I do know how to make a good review, but all I can say is it's much better than the pair of so popular Sennheiser HD 439 I also own.

Comparing one another, Edifier's treble is much better, mids are excellent, there's a lot of clarity in the sound. It's excellent for classical, pop and rock genres. It's downside is it's not that good for bassheads.

Therefore, those who love bass should avoid these headphones, because you won't hear punchy and clear bass, but a rather clear, crystal trebly sound.

It's really comfortable on your head. Another downside is it has some distortion when sound is at high (meaning intense) volume. Also, you can hear some hissing when hearing very trebly sound.

Otherwise that, it has very good stereo separation and I got it really cheaper than Sennheiser's.

I'm using it with a Fiio e11 and it I'd say it's worth it using with an amp indeed because it's sensitivity is only 96 db.

I hope I have helped those interested on buying it.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel they sound.

What part of the world are you from? I think I'm the only person in the US with the H850. Great headphone.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 25
I have the H850 as well. I won't say they can compete with any higher end headphone but for the price, they are excellent, especially if I pair it with ZO for bass boosting.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 25
The Edifier H850 are on MassDrop for as low as $40 + shipping.

Many here may not be aware of Edifier, but they are certainly aware of their high end subsidiary: Stax.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 25
Just got my H850's from the Massdrop purchase.   For $48 shipped, these are a pretty damn nice set of headphones.  No, I don't necessarily think they compete with the big ($200++) boys, but they have a clarity and openness that is so easy to just relax into.  They are also light, extremely comfortable and non-fatiguing.  I'm using them at work with a iFi Micro DSD DAC and find myself enjoying them far more than my Senn PX100s and Momentums.  Caveat - they are a bit light on bass punch.  

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 25
I also love my Edifier H850, a little birght tone, clarity, decent sound-stage, relatively balanced and shine when amped. But the cable is too long for portable gear. 

May 23, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 25
The Source (the Canadian equivalent of Radio Shack) brought the Edifier H850 OEM here under their own brand "Headrush" it seems. They only changed the labelling pretty much, everything else is the exact same:

Only $50 CAD so a good deal for what sounds pretty decent and is insanely comfortable (which is to be expected from Bose AE2/Soundtrue design clone).

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 25
Just picked up a new pair of Edifier H285 IEMs. They had the H850s but I was not into their sound, though they were super nice to wear.

So far I'm blown away by the $19.00 USD H285. I can say they are maybe the best IEM deal I have ever achived. In the burn-in mode. I will write a long review in about three weeks. Still super easy to drive, to the point I thought my iPhone 4 could blow em up?

They may not be all around IEMs as it seems they don't replay heavy metal well? Dance is another story. If someone just wanted to spend $19 and listen to only dance music they would be perfect.

I think they struggle with vocals a tad. I can over look it though for how good they do bass tracks.

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 25
Just got an email from edifier.com saying that they are now officially carrying headphones in the US. Checked the site and the prices look very attractive. I wonder how the $10.99 P180 will sound. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 25
Thanks and I'll let you know! Actually they are $11.99 and with BackToSchool code it becomes $10.19 shipped. At first i read some not so hot reviews but that was the K180 that some don't like the controls but the P180 is different. Hopefully it is on par with the normal H180 which gets good reviews and is said to be Grado sounding. For $10, WTHN :)

The H840 for ~$25 shipped and a handsome blue color looks like a great deal.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 25
I ordered one yesterday as well and it's shipped. Didn't realize there's a discount code but heck it's just a dollar. I hate the fact that most low end earphones are in canal. Those make me feel nausea after wearing long time. Hope this one will solve my craving for regular earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back