Edifier Headphones and Earphones (H850, H290... etc)
Sep 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 25
I got my P180 today. Props to Edifier U.S. for the quick shipping and nice service!
beerchug.gif

It actually does sound Grado-ish but doesn't have quite as much bass as I thought it would. Might not work out in the real world w/o EQ assistance. The drivers may loosen up and move more air but I haven't really ever heard a bud that developed more bass, only less if it tightened up and lost some bloat. Solid extension, good clarity and detail out of the box but another balanced, neutral bud which I have enough of but I like them! If they could have the E100 bass that would be great. The Edifier treble treble is much better. Combine with the E100 bass punch would be wonderful. They are quite comfy as well and the fit is good and stable. $10 well spent.  

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #17 of 25
I got mine on Tuesday, was surprised they actually cared to Fedex the 10 bucks earphone to me. From the look of it totally think Edifier purposely designed it to look like a 10 dollar earphone. Despite the design, it is solid built, and the mic and button comes handy too if someone calls when I listen to music from my phone.

The sound is... when I read the reviews of Edifier H180 online I thought it was absurd to compare it with Grado. But when I listened to the P180 I can tell why they said so. I used to work next to a Grado retailer and got a good relationship with the boss there, having tried different Grado earphones I find them all produce very natural sound. Edifier P180 has the same characteristics. It's a good balance across the frequency bands. The sound is simply very clean and very clear. Bass is sufficiently tight for a earbud (as in not plugged into my ear canals).

Pros:
- superb clarity and details
- comfortable, perfect for people who don't like canalphones
- too affordable... lol
- got a mic and pickup/hangup button added from the H180

Cons:
- looks like $10 earphones, maybe $20 or $30 earphones, definitely doesn't look expensive.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #19 of 25
I don't own both so cannot comment on the sound quality, but from the specs and reviews, the pro80 is bulky, heavy and requires amp. The Edifier H850 is lighter and more comfortable for everyday use eg. using phone or laptop as source. It's cheaper too.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 25
I've used a PJB headphone for live pit work. (Performing in shows) they work extremely well and are terrific for 'bass tracking'. The Edifier version isn't quite as closely matched as the PJB, but it's very close. At that price, it's a bargain imo.

I also have the Edifier and to be honest, I'd be just as happy using them in the pit.

For general music listening, perhaps just a little recessed in mids, but my preferred walk about headphone. I tuck the cable into my trousers!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 25
  I recently bought a pair of this Edifier H850 and I'm impressed by its performance. I mean, I'm no audiophile, neither I do know how to make a good review, but all I can say is it's much better than the pair of so popular Sennheiser HD 439 I also own.

Comparing one another, Edifier's treble is much better, mids are excellent, there's a lot of clarity in the sound. It's excellent for classical, pop and rock genres. It's downside is it's not that good for bassheads.

Therefore, those who love bass should avoid these headphones, because you won't hear punchy and clear bass, but a rather clear, crystal trebly sound.

It's really comfortable on your head. Another downside is it has some distortion when sound is at high (meaning intense) volume. Also, you can hear some hissing when hearing very trebly sound.

Almost exactly what Ive been looking for.
I have questions though,
Is h850 foldable?
How about isolation sound?
and is there cable with inline mic which can replace the original cable?
Thanks a lot
Thanks

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 25
Hey, rronald25,

About your questions, let me tell you that I no longer have this phone. I now own a Fidelio L2 (Philips), but I'll tell you what I remember about it:

Is h850 foldable?

I remember it is not foldable.

I mostly used it while at home, so I couldn't experience outside to give a proper answer about its sound isolation. From what I remember, though, I could hear external noises with ease.

I reckon it doesn't come with any inline mic cable. However, its p2 cable is detachable, so if accidentally it gets cut/damaged, you can replace it.

Thank you,
Marcelo.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 25
I own quite a few Edifier phones (and a 2.0 speaker set which I really like) - H850, H840, H210, H190. In the past I also bought as a gift H750, H290, H180. It is so because we works with official distributor, so maybe I will add some more products to this list :) I will be reviewing them after I get my first headamp, for which I make a review too, just to make some reference points for anyone interested.
I also want to compare them with some well-known HPs like Senns HD598 and HD25-1, Philips SHP2700, Axelvox HD241 and some not so well known. Maybe adding reviews for them too...

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #24 of 25
Almost exactly what Ive been looking for.
I have questions though,
Is h850 foldable?
Thanks a lot
Thanks
Its cups can swivel flat, but it cannot be folded. Isolation is okay, but not great. It's cable entry jack is designed to only accommodate its proprietary cable, but because the plastic is soft, it can easily be modded with the use of a small, sharp knife. After modding, you'll be able to use any 3.5 TRS aux or TRRS mic cable you like

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #25 of 25
Even now it is still a very competitive headphone. I got mine for under $25usd and it is really light and comfortable. It fits fully around/over my ears without any annoying contact. I modded the jack of mine to accommodate almost all universal 3.5mm plugs.

As for the sound, it has a close to target tuning, with slightly forward treble, mildly recessed mids and a mid bass hump which extends somewhat into the upper bass. Its sub bass is rolled off, but it's probably a good thing since distortion audibly dominates under 35Hz in the tone tests I did with the volume cranked up. Still, it is of little concern when the frequency is this low, and the headphone is one of the best with regards to tuning at this price without any EQ applied.

Soundstage is wide and spacious. This helps with imaging/separation, although that is also negatively affected by its tendency to sound slightly congested/smeared. Not sure if it's the cumulative effect of the tuning faults mentioned, distortion (unlikely I think), housing resonances or driver impulse deficiencies (ringing, sluggishness etc.)

Drivability shouldn't be an issue despite its slightly lower sensitivity. I did the testing straight out of my Motu M2, which has a great DAC and clean but slightly weak amp. For my listening level, most iems are driven by it at the half past 8 position on the volume knob (half past 7 is the starting point), and the H850 is usually driven from somewhere around a quarter to nine or nine o'clock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back