Eddie Current's upcoming SS amp called Red Top ?!
May 13, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #136 of 173
Update : finally, since I'm not in the first batch, the wait will be a be longer than I had previously expected. Then, If I had to wait , I prefer to wait my primary choice : the DNA Stratus. 
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #138 of 173
Yeah , this BW seems really promising but my primary desire has always been to purchase the Stratus for my HD800 . 

May 13, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #139 of 173
Well then, if wishes were horses, there's always the 2A3 Studio hanging out there beckoning like a siren...  I wonder if that'll ever come to fruition for me, speaking of standby waiting lists.  It may be a good thing either way, y'know? 
wink.gif

May 13, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #140 of 173
Looks promising.  But for me, I'm looking for a desktop SS amp upgrade from my Soloist here at work, so I anticipate that the BW will exactly fulfill that role nicely.

Are you ordering with the power supply? If so, don't be surprised if it beats your home amps :)

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #142 of 173
Been meaning to get more detailed impressions of the Black Widow up here.  Getting caught up.  
tongue.gif

If "tubes done right" = not mushy or too warm...but resolving, dynamic, & controlled without being peaky/fatiguing.
Then SS done right = not rolled off or smeared, still sparkles but not sharp/harsh/fatiguing, has a nice touch of bloom while still providing good imaging, with the right amount of control and decay.

This amp lets me replace both the Magni2 and Vali on my desk.  Does the best of both in one unit. Solid, overall performer that fits on my desk and I can leave on all the time.  I'm in.

Do you prize low-level listening "ease" or "punch/dynamism"?  Both can be satisfying but in different ways.

The Balancing Act seems more "elegant" and "sweet/refined" at lower levels as it is not quite as "punchy" in the bass or even in "attack/punch" across the FR from mids to treble.  There is euphony in BA overall presentation (and in the bass, certainly).  Output tubes and source (firmware & DAC) can vary this as the BA is not a soupy mess.   

My BA Experience:
  1. EML 300B Mesh Plates accentuate treble/bass dynamism as does PWD Firmware 2.4.x. (But, at the expense of being a little peaky and fatiguing on the top-end.)  I borrowed these and compared them to EML 300B Solid Plates in my system.  (Thanks @Elysian and @jazzfan)
  2. EML 300B Solid Plates gave me some of the treble/bass dynamism but with some of the sweet/euphonic KR PX-4 qualities and a bit less of the top-end fatigue that the EML 300B Mesh Plates provided.  So I bought a pair of those.  I could use PWD Firmware 2.02 or 2.4.x and enjoy certain benefits.
  3. KR PX-4 with PWD Firmware 2.02 works on the mids-to-upper mids with the best effect and beauty...but I found I would have liked a bit more control of the bass and impact/extension/control for things to be perfect and to my “taste".  Especially after A/B with the Ragnarok while using Yggy/PWD.  (New Balancing Acts have a new transformer choice that can aid the bass level/impact/control. Would love to hear them.)

The SS Black Widow is more "assertive" in dynamics and frequency response across the range, but also with some "sweetness/resolution" in between the attack from voices (instruments, etc.). This helps connect the headstage and sweeten the punchy presentation but without the grating treble (source/firmware/headphones/mods taken into account).  Is that the “plankton" factor?  I think so. All the information that you want- presented in the way that you want it, without daggers in your ears. Tough balance to find. Not all up to the amp.  But the amp has to be properly resolving and if you didn't balance your phones...with the source...with the phone mods...with the source firmware...then you can run into trouble.

After comparing the BA to the Ragnarok (with the Yggy and PWD at zerodeefex's macro-mini-meet a couple of months ago), I liked some of the bass slam/impact/control of Rag but also the mids-to-treble sweetness of BA.  The Black Widow takes a lot of those elements and combines them into one affordable package.   Doesn't run hot...or take up too much space...or require tubes, but sounds so good!

Negatives with this amp?  If you want great IEM performance, then add a Schiit Magni2 or Magni2 Uber or use your Leckerton UHA-Mk II or get a Geek Out V2/V2+ and just concentrate on collecting/researching new recordings.Hope that helps somebody that can't try it out for themselves.  Sometimes you don't know that you like the qualities of an amp until you get accustomed to them and then lose them...I already know that I love this amp and am waiting for mine (on order).

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #143 of 173
I'm not seeing a lot of Audeze mentions here, does that mean it is not a good pairing with the BLACK WIDOW? Has anyone tried the Black Widow with the LCD2.2 or X that can discuss the pairing? I would also love to know how the HD700 pairs if anyone tried it together as it pairs a bit differently than the HD800.

As a big fan of the lush Audeze signature, I currently have the LCD2.2 and may go to the X. I have heard the full lineup on the Zana Duex and loved it, however would love even more dynamics and lushness. Loved the 2a3, but it was sooooooo wide it was taking a long time to get used to the signature so I am still on the fence and need another audition. The BA description sounds like a bull's-eye, except for the search for bass dynamics and the bigger pricetag.

I am currently driving my LCD2.2s with the Mjolnir which believe it or not makes the Audeze a bit bright and aggressive for me for long term listening. As a compromise, I purchased the Havana NOS tube DAC to sweeten the sound and it works great, but the sound stage has really narrowed for some reason when paired with my Mojo - very 3d and magical, but too narrow. Still need to play with tubes to see if I can fix that. Was considering selling the Mjolnir and getting a La Figaro 339, as it is at the same price range and I wanted to go tubes for more versatility and more lushness. However, I was warned by a previous owner that I may get bored with the amp due to lack of dynamics. As a newbie to tubes, is the BLACK WIDOW the answer to my needs - being in the same price range as the Mojo - or do I need to step up to a much more expensive tube amp to make it all come together?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #144 of 173
Very excited about this one & I'm in for production run #2. I chose the Black Widow over the Liquid Carbon as I enjoy the EC sound and don't use IEMs.  I feel the extra current of the BW should benefit my HE-560s, and whichever new planar I upgrade to in the next 12 months or so. Can't come soon enough! 

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #145 of 173

After comparing the BA to the Ragnarok (with the Yggy and PWD at zerodeefex's macro-mini-meet a couple of months ago), I liked some of the bass slam/impact/control of Rag but also the mids-to-treble sweetness of BA.  The Black Widow takes a lot of those elements and combines them into one affordable package.   Doesn't run hot...or take up too much space...or require tubes, but sounds so good!

how hot does the power supply get? also picture or it didn't happen

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #146 of 173
^Yep, sorry...no Audeze in the house here.  But I think the BW does tube and SS things well so you might have it right by getting a BW and then rolling DACs to get your ideal pairing.  I ended up preferring my PWD to the Yggy on the BW and pulling my FS ad for PWD.  
BUT:  I also have a prototype tube amp and the Yggy was far superior on the tube amp.  So dang, I will wait for trickle-down Yggy-tech and then double down on my two chosen killer rigs.  Until then, I have the tube amp loaned to the gentleman who loaned me the Yggy for 3 weeks.  These "pairing things" happen where the combos just work together.  

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #147 of 173
^^@audiofrk:  Power supply version that I had did not get very hot and since I had 2-chassis design, I simply put the PS down on the Salamander rack to the side of my desk and the amp portion easily fits on my desktop even when I have a Zana Deux chassis also on my desk.

Pics?  Let me find one... 

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #149 of 173
hey, just a suggestion to whoever created the thread. is it possible to edit the title to reflect the new name change to Black Widow? Had the hardest time finding this thread. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #150 of 173
^Yep, sorry...no Audeze in the house here.  But I think the BW does tube and SS things well so you might have it right by getting a BW and then rolling DACs to get your ideal pairing.  I ended up preferring my PWD to the Yggy on the BW and pulling my FS ad for PWD.  
BUT:  I also have a prototype tube amp and the Yggy was far superior on the tube amp.  So dang, I will wait for trickle-down Yggy-tech and then double down on my two chosen killer rigs.  Until then, I have the tube amp loaned to the gentleman who loaned me the Yggy for 3 weeks.  These "pairing things" happen where the combos just work together.  

WHAT!! The yggy is perfect if you like any other DAC better the amp must be deficient.

OK flame off. What did you like better about the pwd + black widow? I thought the leviathan+ yggy was the bees knee out of the code-x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back