Eddie Current's upcoming SS amp called Red Top ?!
Nov 3, 2007 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 173

Killercrush

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone !

I just read one of Icarium's post about balanced SS amps and I was really surprised to find that EC is working on a new SS amp called Red Top.

Does someone have some other insights or something ?! Discrete or not discrete ?

I would love to try it to drive my Grado SR100 and hopefully a pair of HP-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium
I didn't get a chance to hear his new Red Top solid state amp (~600 dollars and ready to roll in a couple of months and will be available in some balanced form possibly dedicated head amp and a version with a pre amp for ~1100-1200 dollars or something. Nothing final though so don't hold me or him to this), but it was said to be very good sounding with Sennheisers and Grados (Almost unheard of in one amp!). I didn't hear whether it was fully discrete or not but someone mentioned it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
Eddie Current's red top is nice Sounded really good with the hd600, but a little too warm for the rs1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Eddie Current Redtop:
I was able to go into the K1000 room to listen to this amp on Craig’s JVC CDP with his Moth DAC. It was a very very good sounding amp with articulate bass, and imaging. It is definitely a contender at it’s pricepoint (~$600). As I said, above it definitely contends with the big boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtW
I also briefly heard the Redtop with both the HD600s and the AKG1000. I liked the fact that it's not a huge amp, but it sounded very good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
Eddie Current Red Top amp, this amp is amazing in that it worked well with Grados and Senns. It also did well with k1000s, not as good as the best dedicated k1000 amps but as a double duty amp it held it's own. This amp when in it's final configuration will be a killer. It was incredibly fast and detailed and allowed me to sink into the music. As much as the ECSS is a great amp this was much better. Should be ready just in time for your significant others to gift it to you at the holiday season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Red Top
Moth DAC / L3000s:
The Red Top circuit board propped upon the chassis as a visual demo was just very cool and a neat touch. The amp had precision detail while still sounding organic and certainly not at all saturating, but provided a humanistic warmth and wonderful textures. It seems to improve upon the last EC/SS verison I heard, primarily more air around the instruments or simply put better separation also the soundstage extended further in all perceivable directions (up, down, left to right).

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 173
Looks like all discrete with an opamp servo.
Couple of led current sources in there.
High power output capability.

Wish there was more stuff like this coming out.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not being very technical would you please expand on: "all discrete", "opamp servo", and "led current sources". Thanks.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like the sound of this...where can we get more info on this amp?

I believe jp11801 had a prototype of this amp for a while. As you can from the above quoted post of his he really liked the amp. You may want to contact him about it.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 173
It's been awhile since I've chatted with Craig, but this new solid state has been in the works for a while. Last time I checked, all discrete design with very high current output capability. DC coupled with a servo. Option to include a 5 watt output power buffer to drive sensitive speakers.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been awhile since I've chatted with Craig, but this new solid state has been in the works for a while. Last time I checked, all discrete design with very high current output capability. DC coupled with a servo. Option to include a 5 watt output power buffer to drive sensitive speakers.

Is the 5 watt output meant for speaker ? Or it was hint for the K1000 ?
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 173
I'm not sure if this amp is going to go into production but it is a BRILLIANT amp.
This amp in balanced configuration with give the apache and gsx a run for their money. In single ended mode it is a steal at a projected price of $600( please not that price is a few months old as far as I know and it may have gone up for all I know.)

I bet Craig would do a run if there was a call for them.
personally Id take mine balanced with a phone board built in based on the same board as the red top

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the 5 watt output meant for speaker ? Or it was hint for the K1000 ?
wink.gif

both it would run 95db speakers in a small to mid size room and do well but not world class with K1Ks

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

KG funny thing is because it is not sexy it did not get a lot of play at the NorCal meet it was at but it remains one of my favorites. Sometimes people are more intrigued by the shiny box then the quality or the circuit and sound

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 173
Craig has never been enthusiastic about balanced rigs whenever i talk to him... and he's the type that builds things that he thinks are better and not just marketable.

from my conversation with him it has "dual differential drivers" and has a "pure class A outputs stage."

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if this amp is going to go into production but it is a BRILLIANT amp.
This amp in balanced configuration with give the apache and gsx a run for their money. In single ended mode it is a steal at a projected price of $600( please not that price is a few months old as far as I know and it may have gone up for all I know.)

I bet Craig would do a run if there was a call for them.
personally Id take mine balanced with a phone board built in based on the same board as the red top

so how do we get craig to do a production run? i'm very intrigued by this...the problem with dedicated power amps for the k1000 is that you can't use normal dynamic cans with them...and most headphone amps are underpowered. if the red top can do both then...what are we waiting for?
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 173
This looks like another collectors item once it comes out. Beautiful work and design.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KG funny thing is because it is not sexy it did not get a lot of play at the NorCal meet it was at but it remains one of my favorites. Sometimes people are more intrigued by the shiny box then the quality or the circuit and sound

That is what happens when rampant fanboyism hides the truely great stuff
from the junk with the pretty front panel.

Quote:

from my conversation with him it has "dual differential drivers" and has a "pure class A outputs stage."

Looks like dual differential input stage with cascode. Very similar to dynahi,
dynafet, and B22. Opamp power supply voltage is going to limit the
rails to +/-18 which is going to be good for most stuff, but not sufficient
for k1000's in unbalanced mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back