Eddie Current Zana Deux vs RSA Apache
Mar 29, 2008 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bowling-name

New Head-Fier
I have been reading all the threads I can find, but I've been unable to find a comparison of these two amps/preamps. I am interested in how they might compare as headphone amps for the Grado RS-1 and the JVC Victor HP-DX1000. Additionally how do they stack up as preamps for a speaker rig (in my case, probably a Yamamoto A-09 300B S.E.T. into De Vore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8)?

Sources wil be a JA Michell Gyrodec S.E. Turntable w/ LO MC Cartridge into Graham Slee Elevator EXP Headamp into Graham Slee Era Gold Mk V phono preamp, and .AIFF into an Apogee Mini DAC (Firewire).

Also, would the RSA B-52 blow away both the ZD and the Apache as a pre-amp and headphone amp?

Any other options I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 27
We are presently preparing to compare a ZD up against an apache here in Singapore. We will then move on to 2x ZDs in balanced mode vs said Apache and possibly some SPs that might be lurking around the neighbourhood.... Unfortunately this ain't happening till end april.

There will be Senn 650s (single ended and balanced) as well as RS-1s (buttoned, black strap) in attendance.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowling-name /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading all the threads I can find, but I've been unable to find a comparison of these two amps/preamps. I am interested in how they might compare as headphone amps for the Grado RS-1 and the JVC Victor HP-DX1000. Additionally how do they stack up as preamps for a speaker rig (in my case, probably a Yamamoto A-09 300B S.E.T. into De Vore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8)?

Sources wil be a JA Michell Gyrodec S.E. Turntable w/ LO MC Cartridge into Graham Slee Elevator EXP Headamp into Graham Slee Era Gold Mk V phono preamp, and .AIFF into an Apogee Mini DAC (Firewire).

Also, would the RSA B-52 blow away both the ZD and the Apache as a pre-amp and headphone amp?

Any other options I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for any other preamp/heasdphonre amps but the Apacjhe is the best preamp my system has ever seen. It replaced a Pass X1 preamp and I haven'r regretted that move for one second. My system has never soundedas good as it does now with the Apache as a preamp. In terms of the RS-1 the Apache makes them shine but I have to admit I have these phones recabled with balanced Equinox cables which I'm sure don't hurt. The Apache is quite nice!

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 27
There are some significant differences in design between these two reference quality pre/amps. Tube vs SS, SE vs balanced. I think the ZD comes as close to a SS sound as any tube amp does, but at the end of the day, it is still a tube amp. My favorite preamp is no preamp as I drive my Ayre directly from the Cary CDP. When my ZD comes (please hurry, Craig!), I'll do some A/B testing to see if I change my mind about that.

Never heard the B-52, but from what people have said, it may be in a completely different league. But you're talking about more than double the price, so it comes down to a question of relative incremental value.

After reports of parallel ZD's in balanced mode and the possible release of the Balancing Act, I am really interested in further impressions by the community.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 27
Your comparing apples and oranges... They are amps but different in about every aspect. I'm an Apache owner but have enjoyed the ZD every time I've heard it and wouldn't mind owning one at the right price
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 27
I run a Zana with an Orbe and the RS-1, and have used it as a linestage with a Conrad-Johnson MV-52. The results are consistently excellent, and I plan to use the Zana with a pair of Electra-Print 300B monoblocks when I have the time to build them. I can unconditionally recommend the Zana - it is one of the finest pieces of gear I've heard.

The RSA gear holds very little interest for me. My background is DIY, amateur radio and old radios. The Zana's build quality is something I truly appreciate having had my hands in dozens of vintage military/commercial grade communications receivers (a passion), a couple old oscilloscopes and even an old tube TV set. I'm funny about point-to-point wiring and build quality. Not to touch off a flame war, but I, personally, am not crazy about tubes on PCBs. You won't see that in the tank-like old Tektronix gear, nor Collins, Drake, Hammarlund, nor Hallicrafters. That's what I judge tube gear by and what I build for myself.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 27
Regardless of how odd, I think it's a very interesting comparison and would love to see it. It's very hard trying to pick an amp around the $2000 range(used or new).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RSA gear holds very little interest for me. My background is DIY, amateur radio and old radios. The Zana's build quality is something I truly appreciate having had my hands in dozens of vintage military/commercial grade communications receivers (a passion), a couple old oscilloscopes and even an old tube TV set.

That just goes to show you that we are all different. When I sold the k1000, I was looking at the ZD for my W5000 and the industrial look just completely turned me away. I'm more of a modern looking type of guy. haha

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 27
well i think the apache at about $2300 used is a great buy. the only other amp for dynamic headphones i would prefer is a high end singlepower or the B52, both of which are much more expensive.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i think the apache at about $2300 used is a great buy. the only other amp for dynamic headphones i would prefer is a high end singlepower or the B52, both of which are much more expensive.

What did you think of the Zana Deux?

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the HD2 coming up, more interesting comparison.

I think I own the only one in existence I was told there would be no more as it is a time consuming build. I love this amp and wish it would go into production but I believe the balancing act with 300b and 45 tube, the user can switch between the two is the next amp that Eddie Current will build. The balancing act is going to be one great amp and even though I love my amp I am probably going to go for one of these as 45 and 300b tubes have great sound and allow for a ton of tube rolling possibilities.

To the OP if you want to go balanced I would contact Craig about the BA amp. I like the Zana over the Apache as it has a more linear sound and to me is more neutral. Like all things here you probably need to get a good listen to both amps.

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To the OP if you want to go balanced I would contact Craig about the BA amp. I like the Zana over the Apache as it has a more linear sound and to me is more neutral. Like all things here you probably need to get a good listen to both amps.

Are you sure the Balancing Act will be a pre-amp as well (A 300B preamp driving a 300B amp seems like it might be too much of a good thing though)? My speaker rig will not be balanced, though I haven't made up my mind about having an RS-1 and DX1000 re-cabled (especially with the JVC, as I haven't heard of anyone modding those cans before).

I doubt I would shell out for the B-52 since for the price I could pick up a decent line stage, a Woo Audio GES with upgrades, and a pair of STAX SR007A Omega II Mk2 'phones.

I'm increasingly leaning toward the Zana Deux, but that makes me re-think my power amp choice (Yamamoto A-09 or Red Wine Audio 30.2 or FirstWatt F3?)...

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 27
the BA started life as a pre amp but I am pretty sure its current design is as an intergrated amp Quote:

Originally Posted by bowling-name /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure the Balancing Act will be a pre-amp as well (A 300B preamp driving a 300B amp seems like it might be too much of a good thing though)? My speaker rig will not be balanced, though I haven't made up my mind about having an RS-1 and DX1000 re-cabled (especially with the JVC, as I haven't heard of anyone modding those cans before).

I doubt I would shell out for the B-52 since for the price I could pick up a decent line stage, a Woo Audio GES with upgrades, and a pair of STAX SR007A Omega II Mk2 'phones.

I'm increasingly leaning toward the Zana Deux, but that makes me re-think my power amp choice (Yamamoto A-09 or Red Wine Audio 30.2 or FirstWatt F3?)...

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the HD2 coming up, more interesting comparison.

Well, I am expecting the HD2 to be a notch up the Zana. So, rather than an interesting comparison against the Apache I am afraid we are increasing the odds of technical knock-out
smily_headphones1.gif

I have communicated with Craig lately and understand the final version of the HD2, or whatever the name will be called, will only be decided about the meet.

So, I would imagine the HD2 won't be really available until later part of this year, unless one take up this task during the meet.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back