Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Dec 14, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #1,277 of 2,605
Greetings, Zana Deux owners. I'm hoping one (or some) of you can explain to me how the two pre-amp RCA outputs in the back work.

I was hoping to have a DAC that has two RCA outputs, but it looks like none of the high-end DACs have that option. So, I'm wondering if the DAC can go to the Zana Deux, and then have the headphone out be the only sound output some times, and then have the pre-amp be the only output during other times.

If this is possible, then how does it work? And I also assume that the pre-amp outputs are at a fixed volume, so the headphone volume knob in the front doesn't affect them.

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #1,278 of 2,605
Yep, it works pretty much like that.

I'm running a SACD player, TV and FM tuner through my Zana right now.  Inconnect them to the source selector switch.

I plug in my cans and it's a headphone amp.

Then I have a power amp commected to the RCA out jacks, which is then connected to speakers.

However, the Zana's preamp out is controlled by its volume knob.  I use it to adjust speaker volume.  And it's just as good of a preamp as it is a headphone amp.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #1,279 of 2,605
Ooh, so it's not a fixed line out? I try to avoid double amping at all costs...it's a personal dislike of mine.

EDIT: Wait, now I'm confused. How is the ZD's volume knob controlling the headphone volume and the pre-amp volume simultaneously a good thing? Aren't you needlessly running power through your headphones with the potential to damage them while adjusting for whatever its passing through its pre-amp outputs.
Quote:

However, the Zana's preamp out is controlled by its volume knob.  I use it to adjust speaker volume.  And it's just as good of a preamp as it is a headphone amp.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,281 of 2,605

Quote:
The one for $1,300 is an absolute steal.
I almost bought it to use in a second system.
Then I reminded myself that I have way, way too many DIY parts around and that someone else deserves an amazing deal.

Quote:
Hey I need new tubes :)

Quote:
Yep, it works pretty much like that.

I'm running a SACD player, TV and FM tuner through my Zana right now.  Inconnect them to the source selector switch.

I plug in my cans and it's a headphone amp.

Then I have a power amp commected to the RCA out jacks, which is then connected to speakers.

See I knew that.  Running it off the tv is nergroid. You are the man.  That;s exactly what I've been wanting to do since I hooked the rest of the system to the tv, to test.

I am listening to my Jimi compilation and it is track-to-track singularity. Star fleet to scout ship .. please give your position.  ) This is amazing.

ps ... am almost ready to roll rectifiers. ))))

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #1,282 of 2,605
Oh, I just unplug the headphones when running the Zana as a preamp.  It works just like any other preamp when you do that.

There's no double-amping; it sends a line out to the power amp.  

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,284 of 2,605
No.  The headphone amp and the preamp are the same circuit.

All active preamps provide a little gain to the power amp.  There are passive preamps that are just a source selector and a volume control, but those are specialized items and not widely used.

Every other preamp takes the source signal, amplifies it a very little, then feeds that to the power amp.  In the Zana, the preamp and headphone amp are the same circuit.  It does the same thing as a dedicated preamp, except it also has a headphone out.

Also, most headphone amps will work as a preamp.  Even if they don't have dedicated jacks, you can run a 1/4" to RCA cable to a power amp.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,285 of 2,605
Over the past two days I've come to the realization that the Zana Deux has better synergy for the HD800 than I may have given it credit for; the Zana is indeed a very special amp.  Single ended it handily is more musical than through the Transformer Coupled Equilibrato SE.  I may have to tube roll in the Equilibrato and/or switch to balanced to see if it stands a chance but so far it's not looking so good as a fit for the hd800.  I will admit that with a single ended Grado HP-2 the Equilibrato has a major advantage over the Zana Deux though.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #1,286 of 2,605
Hi, everyone. I will order a Zana Deun SE in recent days.But two thins I just can't make decisions.
First is the volume control, everybody knows that it affects very big parts of sound quality, I want a ladder type stereo volume attenuator, the normal volume attenuator only has 24 step, but I want more than 24 step, is there a better choice?
Second is the output transformer, is there a better replacement or the original one is just good enough?
Every opinion will be appreciate.Thanks a lot.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,287 of 2,605
The Zana Deux SE is OTL (transformer less or no transformer).  The standard volume control is good enough IMO.  I no longer own the ZD SE but I had it for about 2 years. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,288 of 2,605
If you want a transformer output, then get the ZDT or for more $$$ get the BA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back