Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jan 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #451 of 2,605
I didn't have any successs with the craig@eddiecurrent.com recently; have been corresponding w/Craig via the charter.net account several times over the past few days. On another note, a recent posting was questioning whether the ZD would be available much longer due to the oil cap issue. Craig indicated in an email yesterday that he is still able to get them from the original supplier, at a cost of $68.50 each (minimum order 100)--makes the ZD asking price seem like even more of a bargain, with parts prices like those!

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #453 of 2,605
[QUOTE
I assume that some of NOS ECC35 /CV569 Mullards UK made would be one of the best match for GS1000, don't you think guys? Or some of ECC35 / CV1985.
confused.gif

Hey Blackmore, did you check with Craig to see if you can use the ECC35 without mods? I would before trying them. The Mullards are plenty of $$$ so I never did check.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #454 of 2,605
Just for curiosity, has anybody used RCA red base 5691s with the ZD? Any mods required?

I've read that of the 6SL7GT, 6SU7GT, ECC35, CV569, CV1985, 5691 tubes, the 5691 is the one that needs to be checked out. I think it had to do with the filament or something, I don't recall exactly. I found this info in the Tubes Cookbook from Sonic Frontiers.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #455 of 2,605
i checked that one out, i've posted on it. um... either the one I had wasn't working properly, or it's not actually a good tube for this amp. I hope someone out there has better luck with it than I did.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #456 of 2,605
oh boy this has to crop up now!!! ???.... i've already invested in brimars, and mullards (some were $$$ but hope to be getting one soon at $ !!) Tung-sol (vt229 black glass) and NU (vt229 also black glass). Was under the impression all interchangeable.... Only remember one post mentioning that the 6SU7GT made the ZD warm(er).

As an aside, the price of NOS tubes only goes one way... up. Red base RCAs as far as i can see are real hard to find (at least the early ones 40s-50s) as are black glass 6SU7s. And when you do find them, the price brings tears to my eyes.....
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #458 of 2,605
Also, relating to a slightly earlier discussion; FWIW, I was emailing Craig the other day and he mentioned that the Svetlana 6C33C-B tubes sound better than the later made 6c33c-b at the Ulyanov factory.

The Svetlana tubes are the ones with the winged C logo on them (also harder to find), rather than the inverted Y (which comes stock on the current ZD, and sold at most places).

Just thought some ZD owners would be interested in knowing, as a few are going on ebay now.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #459 of 2,605
I just received my ZANA yesterday and tested with Sylvania, NU and Tung Sol tubes. In my system NU and Tung Sol are the best. NU have a very smooth, Mullard kind of sound, while Tung Sol offers more clarity, extension and detail all together like Telefunkens. Sylvania is to bassy, to my taste anyway, and the highs aren't silky or crisp, just a little above that and that's not acceptable.

And yes, I send Craig an e-mail about Mullard CV596 and hoping that it would be no problem to use it with Zana, let you know later.

Another thing is that Zana sounds like a real tube amp to me and I like it a lot, so not sure what's the deal up here.

So far, so good, but need more time, so more to come.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[QUOTE
I assume that some of NOS ECC35 /CV569 Mullards UK made would be one of the best match for GS1000, don't you think guys? Or some of ECC35 / CV1985.
confused.gif

Hey Blackmore, did you check with Craig to see if you can use the ECC35 without mods? I would before trying them. The Mullards are plenty of $$$ so I never did check.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #460 of 2,605
Here is the answer from Craig
biggrin.gif

Yes it is a fine tube, just like the 6SL7 but with a lower plate voltage max of 300V. OK to use in ZD only 200V on top.

I am glad, cos I love Mullards
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[QUOTE
confused.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #461 of 2,605
Has anyone compared any NOS to the Tung Sol 6SL7GT reissue on the Zana?

I'm trying to pick-up some NOS, but wanted to see what direction I should be going.

My current experience with the stock tubes, and what I'm hoping to improve is this:
HD650 - Great all around. However, if the top end was opened up slightly that would be great. The bass is already quite plentiful, with a decent midrange, so I don't think I'd want anymore in that department.

I'm guessing NOS Tung Sol? In either case, I could still live with the stock tube in this combo.

GS1000 - Needs improvement all around IMO. I'm experiencing a lot of common complaints that other people noted with the GS-1000 (not necessarily with the ZD). Recessed mids, edgy treble, and undefined bass. In order of what bothers me the most, they are the recessed mids, edgy treble, then bass. These were my favourite cans, and I'm quite shocked I currently prefer the HD650 more than the GS1K. I also think my DAC1 isn't helping things either.

For this, I'm guessing Mullard, Brimar, NU; for a less aggressive sound?

If anyone has any other ideas, or can provide any impressions with reference to the stock tube, that would be great.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #462 of 2,605
Source is the thing, imo. I have talked with some member about it and we are on the same level about the source we both own. What I mean is that we hear the same issues, using the same source.
And the second are tubes and IC as well. Its the source which decodes and send the info to the amp. And if the signal arent good enough, amp can not correct this up to the level anymore, because a good amp bring no extra coloration to the sound, only reproducing whats been send it. I belive that ZD does it very well, reproducing I mean, but now I need to focus on source again, but thats later.
About the tubes. I didnt receive my new one yet, ECC35 Mullard CV596, but when I will, let you know about the differences.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared any NOS to the Tung Sol 6SL7GT reissue on the Zana?

I'm trying to pick-up some NOS, but wanted to see what direction I should be going.

My current experience with the stock tubes, and what I'm hoping to improve is this:
HD650 - Great all around. However, if the top end was opened up slightly that would be great. The bass is already quite plentiful, with a decent midrange, so I don't think I'd want anymore in that department.

I'm guessing NOS Tung Sol? In either case, I could still live with the stock tube in this combo.

GS1000 - Needs improvement all around IMO. I'm experiencing a lot of common complaints that other people noted with the GS-1000 (not necessarily with the ZD). Recessed mids, edgy treble, and undefined bass. In order of what bothers me the most, they are the recessed mids, edgy treble, then bass. These were my favourite cans, and I'm quite shocked I currently prefer the HD650 more than the GS1K. I also think my DAC1 isn't helping things either.

For this, I'm guessing Mullard, Brimar, NU; for a less aggressive sound?

If anyone has any other ideas, or can provide any impressions with reference to the stock tube, that would be great.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #463 of 2,605
Quote:

not sure about reference to stock but ironbut and grand did some nice reviews on some NOS tubes back around pages 30 onwards

Quote:

I just received my ZANA yesterday and tested with Sylvania, NU and Tung Sol tubes

Blackmore, could you share which models, vintage etc you are referring to??
Look forward to reading your thoughts on the european tubes...

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #464 of 2,605
Check this FS thread, the pics link I mean. All 6sl7 are there. I just bought Mullard and will back with more impressions later.
Like I wrote, NU and TUNG SOL are the best so far

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/so...30v-eu-287723/

Quote:

Originally Posted by nghows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blackmore, could you share which models, vintage etc you are referring to??
Look forward to reading your thoughts on the european tubes...

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #465 of 2,605
I'd be real interested in how the Mullard works out. A couple of other tubes that have been mentioned (that I haven't tried yet) are the Brimar and Ken Rads. What 6sl7 tube is Craig delivering as stock. He sent me a Russian tube to try ( I was supposed to pass it around for other folks to try but I our wires got crossed somehow and I sent it back to him). When I listened to it with my K701s, it sounded pretty damn good. Maybe a poor-mans TS 6su7.
Also, the RCA that was in my tube comparison was a 5691 "special red" which has a red base and extra supports. Real euphonic so it wouldn't be a good match for lots of folks. Sometimes when I want a relaxing listen, it's a nice change of pace. I kinda like it with a pair of Dt880s (with a 120 ohm loading plug). A real smoooothy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back