Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Apr 27, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #2,521 of 2,605
Tube do something special especially with the midrange and treble frequencies. And SETs do it the best IMO.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #2,524 of 2,605
I have not heard it but look into the ECP Ravenswood 3F; it was designed specifically for Focal.

The Ragnarok won’t do the layered 3D holographic thing as well as good tubes but for my ears and music it’s a better all around amp, if you factor in versatility and all-genre suitability. I prefer it over tubes for things like the Blade Runner: 2049 soundtrack for example. And the most fun I’ve had with audio in the last few months is using it to drive speakers. A vintage ADS for $200 really highlights the insanity of the headphone world.

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,525 of 2,605
I have not heard it but look into the ECP Ravenswood 3F; it was designed specifically for Focal.

The Ragnarok won’t do the layered 3D holographic thing as well as good tubes but for my ears and music it’s a better all around amp, if you factor in versatility and all-genre suitability. I prefer it over tubes for things like the Blade Runner: 2049 soundtrack for example. And the most fun I’ve had with audio in the last few months is using it to drive speakers. A vintage ADS for $200 really highlights the insanity of the headphone world.
What is a vintage ADS?

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,526 of 2,605
What is a vintage ADS?

ADS were a speaker manufacture that peaked in the early 80s apparently. They weren't even on my radar when I came of audio-age in the early 90s. My particular pair are ADS L710, moderately sized three-way sealed enclosures built in 1979 as far as I can tell. They sound great, no qualifications needed. Just to keep this on topic I'm using them with the ZD as a preamp into various amplifiers/processor loops. Those pre-outs are great.

May 2, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #2,527 of 2,605
How does the Utopia compare to the HEK with the ZD?

Sorry, I sold the HE1000 before I got a chance to drive ir with the Zana. But I bet it sounds awful. The HEK needs a great deal of current.

May 4, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,528 of 2,605
There is a Zana Deux S for sale on Canuck Audio Mart if anyone is interested. I copied and pasted the seller's notes, below, from his ad. I also posted the link for the ad at the bottom of this post.

Interested in selling my ZDS #137. It's in perfect working and cosmetic condition, part of the last run made last year.

For financial reasons I have to let go of this amazing amplifier. It was taken very good care of and gave me a lot of enjoyment, and I hope the next owner can have that too.

Asking USD 2600 net to me. It will come with the Amperex Red Base 5691 pictured, will include original shipping box, power supply and cables, receipt, instruction manual, and receipt for the 5691 tube from thetubestore.com.

Prefer to sell to folks local to Edmonton, Canada. Willing to ship to USA and across Canada as well, but please know that shipping isn't cheap (in the $100 range).

See pictures and feel free to ask me about the amp any time. Thanks for viewing.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649517055-zana-deux-super-137/

May 4, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #2,530 of 2,605
I think $2600 is a hard sell, I was emailing with Craig about the ZDS and he has the parts for a new one for $2400 with a wait time of 3-4 weeks.

I also think that he's asking too much but I still posted the information in case someone really wants one especially since they're discontinued. Taken into consideration is that it's a year old and judging by the photographs of the amp it appears to be in pristine shape (although the photos are never as revealing as seeing it in person).

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #2,533 of 2,605
Question for guys with a super, what is the stock driver tube that this amp comes with? And for those that has tube rolled, what is your favorite driver tube, and why?

The stock tube is a Tung Sol 6sl7.

My favorite tube is the RCA red base 5691. Smooths the highs a bit with my 800S and Auteur while providing some slamming bass and a great soundstage. Can be a little too much smoothing with warm headphones though.

May 14, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #2,534 of 2,605
This thing (ZDS) rocks when connected to the HD800S! I didn't know HD800S had such level of bass, and the bass is quite large. Now, if you get into electronic tracks, the sounds get really interesting (which HD800S has good potential of), so tight and precise sounding. I'd say this is the best of HD800S I've heard (out of the ZDS). ZDS makes a lot of albums very listenable with HD800S without compromising it's technicalities. Matter a fact, it seems to bring out the technicalities of the HD800S in the right way. If anybody is looking for a high-end amp for HD800S, I without a hesitation recommend the ZDS. It's like no other. Interesting thing is, I don't like the HD800S all that much, but out of the ZDS I do.

The bass on the HD800S is quite unique. It sounds like being hit by a large area of very tight bass. It feels like the HD800 'ring radiator' image.

blog_hd800driverwave.jpg

To me the ZDS/HD800S sounds like a refined version of Crack/HD600 system. Basically the scaled up system I was looking for when listening to the Crack/HD600.

ZDS is quite different than what one would expect of a stereotypical tube amp. It's not warm, slow, or any of that. It has quite the tightness of solid-state, but with the separation and imaging of a good tube amp.

I think HD800S is the headphone for the ZDS. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back