Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
May 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,176 of 2,605
Per atomicbob's recommendation awhile back, I sourced a '52 JAN CHS 6SL7WGT and a Sophia 6SL7 grade A. The Sophia is more extended down low. The first impression I got from the '52 Chrome Dome, was clarity and detail. Both have a place for me. Since the Sophia is current production, you can get it at your leisure. I got a strong balanced '52 from eBay and a '57 coming in today that tested even better so curious to see what differences there are, if any, between vintages. I paid a total of $65 including shipping between the two tubes!

Edit: my current faves are 6SU7GTY (blackglass, round plate) and 5691 red base. They trade blows and I get lost in the music with either one. Doesn't matter, both perform well. The 6SU7GTY does have two variants, I haven't heard the clear glass with black or gray flat ribbed plates, so I have a black plate incoming as well haha. My ECC35 is also en route.

May 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,178 of 2,605
I have way too many driver tubes and they all sound same, so for anyone looking at rolling the driver tube for the Zana Deux please take recommendations with grain of salt.

Just because you aren't able to hear differences does not mean other recommendations based on listening experience should be discounted.

May 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,180 of 2,605
Just because you aren't able to hear differences does not mean other recommendations based on listening experience should be discounted.

You are absolutely right, just because I may be deaf does not mean there is no sound .
All Iam saying is proceed with caution, buy few really cheap ones before venturing above $50.

May 7, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #2,181 of 2,605

Oh, now I'm REALLY anxious for my ZDS to arrive! Knowing it'll improve my speaker set up, too, just makes it all the more exciting. And frankly the Thiels could always use a little help on the bottom end, so the Sophia might be just the ticket. Or maybe something bloomier...ill have to play around with it. More excuses for tube rolling. :blush:

This is no exaggeration, but my Maggies need a subwoofer if I simply use my NAD M51 output into my parasound amp. With the ZD as a preamp, there's enough mid bass presence to no longer need an external sub. Of course, I still keep the sub in the setup for those extra low frequencies that the Maggies can't quite reproduce with exact precision, but that is how dramatic the difference is in my setup with the ZD as a preamp. Vocals do have noticeably more body as well.

I was lucky enough to get this demonstration. Vernon hooked it up with the ZD in the chain, and the sounds was beautiful - full, rich, nice bass response.....then he hooked it up without the ZD, and as he said - a much thinner sound with much less bass presence. I was even more impressed with the way the highs sounded with the ZD in the chain. 

I had the opportunity to do the same yesterday for a short time. I had the 5691 in the amp, and played it with / without the ZDS - and I had the same results - much more involving sound - better sense of space and harder hitting mid bass. I have a Naim NAP100 amp (50 watts @ 8ohm) into Ariel 6T's - so not some of the systems that others have, but I was amazed at the volume and impact the system had. I'm looking forward to getting the Sophia for running the 2 channel :) 

May 8, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #2,184 of 2,605
The Zana is not the end game, it's the beginning. It needs all the input and output you can give it. And cables!

There is no such thing as end-game. However, I am pretty sure for lovers of the classic HD650, the ZDS will take those incredibly scaling drivers quite close to their apex.

May 8, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #2,186 of 2,605
  Yes and also the HD800, haven't heard a better amp for the HD800 in all these years.

But then there is the Apex (aptly named!) Teton, the Stratus, the Balancing Act... Joking aside, I can't wait to hear the modded HD800 on the ZDS but have learned the hard way that this headphone is a picky animal that is often more the fault of itself than the amp! 

May 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #2,187 of 2,605
There is no such thing as end-game. However, I am pretty sure for lovers of the classic HD650, the ZDS will take those incredibly scaling drivers quite close to their apex.

Amen to that.
Everyone has his own preferenes and endgame isn't necessarily the most expensive.
ZD (S, SE or simply ZD) with a HD650 is endagem for me. I liked the 4-45 a lot less for example, or the expensive EAR HP4 as well.
HD650, LA-900 and SE-M1 are damn endgame to me and trump everything I woned or heard, which includes a lot more expensive stuff.
Ok, there is some stuff I didn't hear as well so I can't comment on that but concerning headamps and headphones I'm pretty much where I want to be.
A ZDS, BW and a few vintage amps will be pretty hard to beat.

Although I'm not a fan of the HD800 (owned, loaned and auditioned them at various occasions) I can understand these are damn well endgame to others and are considered much better than holy grail Stax, which has never been my thing (owned and auditioned a few times as well).

So to each his own preferences and own endgame and may they enjoy it to the max! 
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,189 of 2,605
Why does Ed say it will run hundreds of feet of line out? Because it can. I don't see anyone talking about sources, only driver tubes.

I ran my Zana for 7 years. Fine w me. Good luck to everyone.

May 9, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #2,190 of 2,605

Amen to that.
Everyone has his own preferenes and endgame isn't necessarily the most expensive.
ZD (S, SE or simply ZD) with a HD650 is endagem for me. I liked the 4-45 a lot less for example, or the expensive EAR HP4 as well.
HD650, LA-900 and SE-M1 are damn endgame to me and trump everything I woned or heard, which includes a lot more expensive stuff.
Ok, there is some stuff I didn't hear as well so I can't comment on that but concerning headamps and headphones I'm pretty much where I want to be.
A ZDS, BW and a few vintage amps will be pretty hard to beat.

Although I'm not a fan of the HD800 (owned, loaned and auditioned them at various occasions) I can understand these are damn well endgame to others and are considered much better than holy grail Stax, which has never been my thing (owned and auditioned a few times as well).

So to each his own preferences and own endgame and may they enjoy it to the max! 
beerchug.gif

I am also in agreement with AM's statement here. Some folks 'endgame' set up based on budget and preference could be a complete set up for <$1k - even though they have heard set-ups many times that cost. I did a lot of buying / selling / upgrading on my car system, so this time around I wanted to minimize that - 'aimed' at a particular set up (though I heard several that I liked as well) - and 'pulled the trigger'. So my experience was only changing out one piece of the chain (AURALiC Taurus - excellent ss amp, for the ZDS). I am going to attempt to do everything in my power to simply enjoy what I have (though I am intrigued by all of the comments about the HD650 
wink_face.gif
). So, I can whole heartedly endorse the Eddie Current ZDS with the TH900's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back