Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
May 9, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,191 of 2,605
I am also in agreement with AM's statement here. Some folks 'endgame' set up based on budget and preference could be a complete set up for <$1k - even though they have heard set-ups many times that cost. I did a lot of buying / selling / upgrading on my car system, so this time around I wanted to minimize that - 'aimed' at a particular set up (though I heard several that I liked as well) - and 'pulled the trigger'. So my experience was only changing out one piece of the chain (AURALiC Taurus - excellent ss amp, for the ZDS). I am going to attempt to do everything in my power to simply enjoy what I have (though I am intrigued by all of the comments about the HD650 :wink_face: ). So, I can whole heartedly endorse the Eddie Current ZDS with the TH900's. 

I agree. And I hate to contradict what you said about abstaining from other purchases, but I think if you own the ZDS, you owe it yourself to try the HD650/600 at some point.

May 9, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,192 of 2,605
I agree. And I hate to contradict what you said about abstaining from other purchases, but I think if you own the ZDS, you owe it yourself to try the HD650/600 at some point.

Well, my/our taste may not be everyon'se but since a lot of people like the 650/600 and seen the price isn't steep I have to agree with Liu.
You could probably find a nice pair for under $200 here on HF and they're damn good phones.

May 9, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,195 of 2,605
I think we're discussing synergy between headphones and amplifier. At least that's what I am discussing. I will find out soon enough but by all accounts I have read the ZD comes close to the pinnacle of what the the HD6xx require to achieve maximum performance, and I do think they are worthy of such an amp. I also think it is relevant to discuss synergies between transducers and amplifier aptitude and not always the latter in isolation, just like several have shown little compunction for discussing the best tube combos for the ZD on this thread.

May 9, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,196 of 2,605
But isn't the HD800 the pinnacle of performance with the Zana Deux, we saying the Zana Deux is probably not on par ?

The HD6xx series have been the top Sennheiser cans for many years. Now the technically more advanced HD8xx series are.
Most people prefer the 8xx series and they probably are the better cans. Some however are less of a fan of them and actually prefer the 6xx series.
Both perform great with the ZD/ZDSE/ZDS, I owned the HD800 from the moment it was out and sold them about a year and a half later. I demoed them with a few amps on various occasions. A few months ago I loaned them to compare to the HD650, LCD-XC and LA-900 with the amps I had then.
For me, the amp that performs best with any cans is the ZD and I had or tried a lot to compare to. Second to them are the vintage amps I have now.

Although I believe in synergy I try to find nice allround gear when it comes to sources and amps and find I have succeeded pretty well.
I try to do the same with phones and speakers but they impart the largerst slice of flavor to the sound of a system so I find owning a few is desirable.
This is easier with cans than speakers seen the price difference.

May 15, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,199 of 2,605

I recently moved to a new house and set up my system today. Probably end-game for me... or not.

The chassis looks fairly light compared to my Zana Deux serial 40.

Also what is on top of Yggy ?

AFAIK the size of the chassis has not changed over time.

The thing on top of the Yggy is a USB/LAN cleaning hub. Similar to what Schiit Wyrd or Uptone Regen does but with more features. It definitely improves the sound compared to feeding Yggy directly from my computer.

May 15, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #2,200 of 2,605
Hmm, I wonder if your 6SN7 socket is oriented differently than mine.  The ECC35 label on mine doesn't face the font of the unit...  on the other hand, mine is Philips Miniwatt branded.

Maybe move the USB hub so it isn't directly over the Yggy's ventilation slits, though?

May 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,201 of 2,605
  Hmm, I wonder if your 6SN7 socket is oriented differently than mine.  The ECC35 label on mine doesn't face the font of the unit...  on the other hand, mine is Philips Miniwatt branded.

Maybe move the USB hub so it isn't directly over the Yggy's ventilation slits, though?

The orientation of the tube sockets should be the same. Unlike most current production tubes, many vintage tubes tend to have their label printed anywhere on the tube randomly. My RCA 5691 does not face the front when plugged into the amp. My ECC35 just happens to have its label printed so that it would face front in this situation.

Unlike Rag, the little "holes" you see on top of Yggy aren't really holes. Yggy does not have ventilation slits on the top. If they were indeed holes through which I could see inside the chassis, I wouldn't put anything on top of it. There's a reason why many people have no problem stacking Rag on top of Yggy, but not vice versa.

May 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,202 of 2,605

I recently moved to a new house and set up my system today. Probably end-game for me... or not.

AFAIK the size of the chassis has not changed over time.

The thing on top of the Yggy is a USB/LAN cleaning hub. Similar to what Schiit Wyrd or Uptone Regen does but with more features. It definitely improves the sound compared to feeding Yggy directly from my computer.

Very Nice! 

By 'fairly light' regarding the chassis - I believe he may have been speaking about the color versus the size. It appears to be a lighter shade of grey than others I've seen. I love that cabling on the HD800's :) 

May 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2,203 of 2,605
Have to thank the community here for the recommendations in this thread!

I think I've found my end game too.
Yggy->ZDS (w/5691) ->HD800 (w/SDR mod)
I've had this feeling just one or two times before, but that was more because I wasn't listening to music much and was more interested in getting rid of gear, but now, I feel like I just want to focus on listening to more music.

I felt I was getting close with the Yggy and ZDS, but then added the SDR mod to the HD800 and 5691 redbase tube and feel it's complete.
Perfect balance of speed, details, tone, instrument separation.
I compared the modded HD800 with the HD800S and in truth, I would have been happier with either.
Hd800S was slightly warmer and more bass but the bass felt a little bloated/distorted.
Modded HD800 retained that extra bit of smoothness and airyness with the treble that seemed to be sacrificed on the HD800S.
Slight differences that I think tube matching would have resolved - prefer 5691 on modded HD800 vs ecc35 on the HD800S.  
But then again, the HD800S is costing way more than a stock HD800 + SDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back