Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Mar 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,086 of 2,605
@preproman

The Balancing Act is a very different beast, and I don't believe sells as well (at least in the US market, according to Marv).  Talk to Marv for the best info, but in general I think it's fair to say the BA is a warmer vintage tube sound whereas the ZDS is a more modern neutral sound.  

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2,087 of 2,605

Yeah, I edited my post above after seeing the ZDT pic.  :)

It's been a while now since I've had a 12AX7 amp.  In fact, let me dig through some stuff in the attic and see if I have any tubes left over that I can send you.  I don't see myself repurposing them any time soon.   My recollection of the Raytheon was laid back compared to the other two.  Windmill getter specifically, I don't recall it that's the variety I had..  And now, I wonder if these days I'd even prefer its signature, but back then I preferred the other two.  What I remember most with the Gold Brand was the midrange being most favorable, and both it and the GE being more dynamic and lively.

I got the Raytheon in today. It's quite laid back as you suggested. I'm liking it a lot though listening to acoustic blues (Muddy Waters - Folk Singer at the moment) with the HD800s. Using the SFD-1 for this as a DAC with the '74 Reflektors in. Gives his voice a very thick sultry tone and kills a bit of the tinny sound with his guitar that I found with the Telefunken. Don't think I'd love it with rock though. And it was a bit too laid back with the HD650s

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #2,089 of 2,605

Yeah, I edited my post above after seeing the ZDT pic.  :)

It's been a while now since I've had a 12AX7 amp.  In fact, let me dig through some stuff in the attic and see if I have any tubes left over that I can send you.  I don't see myself repurposing them any time soon.   My recollection of the Raytheon was laid back compared to the other two.  Windmill getter specifically, I don't recall it that's the variety I had..  And now, I wonder if these days I'd even prefer its signature, but back then I preferred the other two.  What I remember most with the Gold Brand was the midrange being most favorable, and both it and the GE being more dynamic and lively.

I got the Raytheon in today. It's quite laid back as you suggested. I'm liking it a lot though listening to acoustic blues (Muddy Waters - Folk Singer at the moment) with the HD800s. Using the SFD-1 for this as a DAC with the '74 Reflektors in. Gives his voice a very thick sultry tone and kills a bit of the tinny sound with his guitar that I found with the Telefunken. Don't think I'd love it with rock though. And it was a bit too laid back with the HD650s

Went in the attic looking for a box with old tube projects and such to try to dig up any leftovers I might have... but now there are family heirlooms where I remember that box being.  Need to dig further when time permits.

Having a blonde feeling today, cannot differentiate between 7 tubes, I believe the sound toning with tubes is overrated.

7 tubes in a single day would make my head spin as well.  I suggest giving each due time with familiar music.  Direct and immediate A/B (or in this case A/B/C/D/E/F/G ?) is one way to do it, but isn't necessarily the best way to find out what you're going to want to settle in to longer term.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #2,090 of 2,605

Went in the attic looking for a box with old tube projects and such to try to dig up any leftovers I might have... but now there are family heirlooms where I remember that box being.  Need to dig further when time permits.

7 tubes in a single day would make my head spin as well.  I suggest giving each due time with familiar music.  Direct and immediate A/B (or in this case A/B/C/D/E/F/G ?) is one way to do it, but isn't necessarily the best way to find out what you're going to want to settle in to longer term.

Sounds good - take your time! I got the Sylvania in today so I'll give it a go once I get off work. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,092 of 2,605
^Sorry that did not work in your system...I have the original ZD and it works well in mine.  Mine are black base, does anyone know if there is variation with brown base?

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,093 of 2,605
  ^Sorry that did not work in your system...I have the original ZD and it works well in mine.  Mine are black base, does anyone know if there is variation with brown base?

I've since grown in to it...  I call it my Chevelle tube, now.  It has its place, but I still find myself reaching for the ECC35 for most music.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,094 of 2,605
Although my Mullard ECC35 is what I would call the "reference tube" for the ZDS, I personally prefer the red base RCA 5691 for my HD800S. Slightly rolled off upper mids and treble really hits the sweet spot.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,095 of 2,605
  Although my Mullard ECC35 is what I would call the "reference tube" for the ZDS, I personally prefer the red base RCA 5691 for my HD800S. Slightly rolled off upper mids and treble really hits the sweet spot.

I'm in strong agreement here.  Having just heard them, I like the RCA 5691 the best with the ZD (original) paired with the HD800.  IMO most musical pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back