Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics
Nov 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #91 of 101

Quote:
It's quite possible you just don't like the HD800. The try Anax mod on the HD800 first and go from there
   I have seen a blog on HD800 Anax mod but it seems to me that it improves several aspects of HD800 and
that probably save us from expensive cable.  I do use the Zeus Gold clad Aphrodite cable which do improve
some of the sound to the one I like.   However I would like to know how can you improve it more with the BA
and possible tube rolling.   I don't like the modification on the headphone because it may destroy its value later.

It's not permanent.  Comes right off w/ little or no residue if you use the right foam.  

I know I haven't answered your tube selection question yet, I'm waiting for the production S7 to roll tubes in for verification.  Whatever I say now could just be blowing smoke.  Plus even then, the individual tubes can and will likely vary within makes and models as you know.  

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #93 of 101
We just had a nice little get together down here w/ CEE TEE.  Really, really great guy.  If you guys ever head up north and have a chance to meet up at one of his meets go for it!  Purrin and myself set up the BA/2A3/S7 amps for him to have a listen to w/ the HD800 and his UERM.  All while we also checked out his Benchmark DAC1 and Matrix combo.  Suffice it to say, he thought he had a clear idea of things earlier in the day before he started rolling, listening and contemplating.  Then things became more interesting I think.   He heard 3 distinct tube configurations today.  Two were mine and one was Craig's that he used at Canjam.  After hearing all three running various sources I think he felt comfortable enough to make a determination on how he's going to allocate his funds.  I'll let him get back home and fill you guys in on the details if he is able to in the next few days.  Was an enjoyable day all around.  If anyone is interested we should have some Electra impressions after tomorrow as well.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #94 of 101
At RMAF I tried the S7 side by side with the BA, using LCD-2.  I thought the BA had noticeably bigger (wider/deeper) soundstage, with a more extended frequency response, while the S7 sounded a bit warmer/darker and more forward.  If I had to guess I'd say my upgraded ZDT is closer to the BA.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #95 of 101

Quote:
At RMAF I tried the S7 side by side with the BA, using LCD-2.  I thought the BA had noticeably bigger (wider/deeper) soundstage, with a more extended frequency response, while the S7 sounded a bit warmer/darker and more forward.  If I had to guess I'd say my upgraded ZDT is closer to the BA.

I'll let CEE TEE talk about Craig's tube choice for the S7 at RMAF as I expressed my thoughts on the matter already.  
_______

The BA is his pinnacle technical performer and the ZDT w/ the upgraded transformers would makes sense for the signatures to be quite close.  I'll say for the money you might be surprised how close the S7 can get and how much more versatile it is then either if one were looking for synergies using an amp.  But no doubt, if you want a pretty much set it and forget it amp focused on max performance you can certainly pay $2-3K more but w/ the right set of tubes you might be surprised how hard it is to hear that difference. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #96 of 101

Quote:
I'll let CEE TEE talk about Craig's tube choice for the S7 at RMAF as I expressed my thoughts on the matter already.  
_______

The BA is his pinnacle technical performer and the ZDT w/ the upgraded transformers would makes sense for the signatures to be quite close.  I'll say for the money you might be surprised how close the S7 can get and how much more versatile it is then either if one were looking for synergies using an amp.  But no doubt, if you want a pretty much set it and forget it amp focused on max performance you can certainly pay $2-3K more but w/ the right set of tubes you might be surprised how hard it is to hear that difference. 

As for the S7 tube choice... um yeah. It was the same at our Irvine meet? I listened to it quickly and didn't want to touch it after that. We just didn't have time to set it up right.

The S7 with "BA (EML300B) emulation" tubes sounded so damn close... We will be writing a formal BA and S7 review/comparison in the next few days.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #97 of 101

Quote:
As for the S7 tube choice... um yeah. It was the same at our Irvine meet? I listened to it quickly and didn't want to touch it after that. We just didn't have time to set it up right.

The S7 with "BA (EML300B) emulation" tubes sounded so damn close... We will be writing a formal BA and S7 review/comparison in the next few days.

Inquiring minds want to know-How the S7 stacks up against the others with the phones you had on hand. Please.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #98 of 101

Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know-How the S7 stacks up against the others with the phones you had on hand. Please.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579039/review-and-comparison-eddie-current-balancing-act-and-super-7

We've named a few amps (only the ones where we felt we had enough exposure to), where we felt the S7 destroyed them. You'll find that Anax, CeeTee, and I are pretty tough and critical on stuff. CeeTee is much more gracious and diplomat and Anax and I are though. 
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #101 of 101
For comments by people who got the amp, use the link in Purrin's last post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back