Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Dec 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #226 of 456
Just ordered mine as well.  Wondering if anyone has heard the newest reiteration of the Electra.  I love my Super 7, so decided to take the Electra plunge sight unseen (or unheard).

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #231 of 456
I was just waiting for him to get back to me. i sent my order form in but havent heard back.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #235 of 456
Quote:
It doesnt seem to be quite as powerful. 1475v compared to 1600v. I dont know how big of a difference that will make.

I wouldn't worry about it. The Electra had enough voltage to slam the diaphragm into the stators for a couple of headphones we tested (don't try this at home.) It did not have a problem driving the 007mk2.5 which I had on hand. My preference was for the 6L6 output tube with the 007. The 6L6 is less thick or bassy sounding than the EL34. The EL34 works best with the 009, but that also depends upon taste. I did not note any of the bass control issues typical of inferior amplification with the 007.

Quote:
Just ordered mine as well.  Wondering if anyone has heard the newest reiteration of the Electra.  I love my Super 7, so decided to take the Electra plunge sight unseen (or unheard).

If you like Craig's amps, you should also like the Electra. The latest iteration is a little bit better sounding (more dynamic and open) than what I heard the the H3 meet using the same tubes (there were some tweaks). BTW, even the "lowly" ESP950 sounded absolutely wonderful. Better than anything else I've heard it on. $3,500 is a steal.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #237 of 456
What headphones are you gonna use with the Electra KingStyles?

The 007 mk1 and eventually the 009. I want to mess around with the 009 with a tube amp.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #238 of 456
I was thinking of trying maybe some tungsol bgrp with the el34. The tungsol bgrp is so dry it might gel with a thicker or musical tube. I dont know though, too many options as far as the el34/6n6 tubes go. Can we use the kt77?

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #239 of 456
What's the benefit, if any, with the Jentzen silver caps upgrade?

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #240 of 456

I was thinking of trying maybe some tungsol bgrp with the el34. The tungsol bgrp is so dry it might gel with a thicker or musical tube. I dont know though, too many options as far as the el34/6n6 tubes go. Can we use the kt77?

When I had the pre-production prototype for a few days, I ran Sylvania GTA chrome domes (the tubes I had on hand which I felt sounded closest to the BGRP) and Mullard XF4s. The amp at H3 also had CBS/RCA triangle plate 6SN7s, which tend to be among the more laid-back (but good) sounding 6SN7s. I did not care for the black base current production Mullard EL34s (which I believe will be supplied with this amp). They sound slightly veiled, closed-in, and not as harmonically rich as the XF4s. I figure if you are spending near 4K on a amp, a few hundred for tubes isn't that much. There's definitely a good bit of tube rolling options to tweak the sound.

What's the benefit, if any, with the Jentzen silver caps upgrade?

The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back