Eddie Current EC/SS arrived today! Initial impressions inside (and pics)
Jun 16, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 31
I just ordered an Eddie Current amp and a pair of 225's, don't worry you aren't responsible! I have been wanting a pair of headphones that ROCK
and it seems the Grado's are well know for this. I have recently purchased a Darkvoice and wanted a solid state amp to compliment it. I was looking at the Aria and SR-71 but the Eddie Current really caught my eye and sounds like it
might just be the ticket. And if it isn't I'm sure I can always sell it!

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking at the pic of the back of the amp, how do you connect to this amp? those arent rca in, right?

Yes, those are RCA inputs!

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard the ECSS with a pair of RS1s?

I was lucky enough to find a pair of RS-1's that look like the beloved "darker wood no serial" variety. Got them used on consignment at a store in San Francisco (Audio Vision SF, BTW, GREAT store!).

The match with the EC/SS is truly grand! The midrange that I and many have mentioned in other threads is just glorious. Tight fast bass, and extended highs (the RS-1 highs weren't my favorite from Grado; that title belonged to the GS-1000 when driven by the PS Audio GCHA amp - INCREDIBLE!!!).

But the mids are what does it for me. As a fan of female vox, and liking clarity in the mids anyways, there is an organic space and presence to the mids that is almost SET-like in its beauty. Not bloomy lush like tubes but there's a fullness, presence, and transparency that makes me fondly remember my 2A3 and 6C33C (non-headphone) amps....

One other set of phones I think mate well with the EC/SS were my Beyer DT-880's (I had the 05 version). All the benefits of the RS-1 - tight bass, clear mids, fast and detailed but never harsh - were there with the DT-880's. Not QUITE as synergistic as the RS-1's were. But the comfort was a nice trade-off, the Beyer's being perhaps the most comfy cans I've ever had.

Anyway, amp is highly recommended for any Grado phone I've heard, and also with the Beyers.

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #25 of 31
I am glad that it works with Grados - I am also wondering if the amp is a good/great/poor match with the K701s. Anybody know?

Thanks

Barry

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad that it works with Grados - I am also wondering if the amp is a good/great/poor match with the K701s. Anybody know?

Thanks

Barry

I used my first generation EC/SS almost daily with the K701's for several months. I thought they were a good match. The amp had no problem driving them and I didn't find anything lacking in the presentation from the combo. I can't say how the new version drives them, but I'm sure we'll have additional input on that after next week's Chicago meet.

A_Sr.

Jun 18, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #27 of 31
I tried the 701's with the (new) EC/SS at a brief listening session w/J-Pak. We both liked the Heed Can Amp better driving them. The sound with EC/SS was very good - tonally great, and spacious - but it seemed to lack some dynamics and "life."

Now, that said....someone suggested that owners drive the 701 with the higher output (switchable via jumpers). This would probably work well and bring the glory back to the 701's, but I haven't done that yet; enjoying my RS-1's too much
rs1smile.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #28 of 31
I received my Great March in the mail yesterday (first GM, with mods). It's the first time I've had a source change with my EC/SS. I've used my SCD-CE595's analogue outputs exclusively until this point.

Let me say, the EC/SS is very responsive to source upgrades. The separation, midrange silk, and top end opened up big time with the GM. The EC/SS is no slouch and seems to thrive on detail and shows the nature of the source. The bottom end seems to extend ever lower and with more impact... I can almost hear this bass in my chest depending on the music. It makes me smile and realize this EC/SS was one of the best purchases I could have made.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice! Love the look of the amp and small size.

X2
I cannot emphasize enough Redo's comments. SOURCE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I was a little skeptical at first when I sprang big bucks for a Red Bank 6385 for my DAC but the improvement was immediate and the EC/SS definitely does not hold anything back. I cannot wait for my next big buck source upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back