Eddie Current EC/SS arrived today! Initial impressions inside (and pics)
Jun 16, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Redo

Headphoneus Supremus
First, Fedex is amazing. I ordered 2-day shipping Fedex option from TTVJ, and the EC/SS ships from Montana at 6:45pm yesterday. It arrives at my doorstep at 11am this morning. That's not even 24 hours!

I open the box, take the wrapping off, and place the EC/SS down on the table to have a look. This thing looks far better in person than in the pictures. The pictures make it look like a solid black box, but the top and bottom are more of a charcoal color in person. The RCA inputs just appear of high quality, big solid gold connections. The included wall wart is among the biggest I've encountered!

I've been listening to music via my X-Fi's analog outputs for near 5 days now, and it was getting depressing. "Negative Bass" syndrome, where heavy bass in music sort of dominates and sucks the life from all other frequencies. The music never came alive, just background music. So I hook the EC/SS to my SCD-CE595, and plug in my Grado SR225's, and start up with some Beatles Revolver. Wow!!! Bass, where have you been all my life. This thing puts some serious chunky bottom end into my 225's. It presents quite a bit more bass impact and extension over my MicroAmp (or it sounds that way). Not the bass supreme dominance like I heard from the DT990's, HD650's, or DT770's, it's still the SR225's tight impacting bass but pushed up a level.

I'm on my 4th album through the EC/SS, so my ears are still adjusting. But the sound stage is wider than my MicroAmp, but not artificial feeling. It's the tight soundstage I love, whereas something like the Zana Deux opens far wider than this. The left is farther left, the right is farther right, but the image stays focused within this range. The bass positioning is more accurate feeling, but it may because of the extra impact that I didn't have before.

The extra “bass chunk” I described earlier extends directly into the midrange. It pushes the audio into this jammin experience to die for. It brings the music into a new, fun dimension. The treble seems to not dominate the music as much as I remember with the MicroAmp, it may be a bit rolled off? The treble extension is there, it's not lacking in any way. Maybe the midrange is pushing the treble out of immediate focus, I'll explore more over the next few days. The EC/SS shifts the focus to the heart and soul of the music. I've heard this amp described as a bit euphonic of a solid state amp, and I do believe it may be. I love the added warmth.

These are all initial impressions, and I'm sure it will change in time. Especially when I hook this up to a more detailed source. As of right now, I'm very happy!

ECSS_front.jpg

ECSS_rear.jpg

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review!

Now, time for you to post some pictures!!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about doing it while I was opening the package. I was too excited to find my camera though. Maybe tomorrow!

This is one great amp, lots of energy coming from my SR225's. The midrange just seems to be silky smooth.

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 31
I bought an EC/SS several weeks ago and I couldn't be happier.
And I also use SR225's. I like this combo so much that I haven't tried a single other set of 'phones with it!

Kudos on taking the Eddie Current plunge!

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5 days from sound card and you were already depressed. tough customer there, bud. haha.

i'm interested in this amp too. do you have any other phones to try it with? and how big is it?

Well I came from having a full MicroStack to having nothing but my sound card. So it was a big step down before the EC/SS came in. The next step I have is to get my source back up to par. Though I must admit, the CE595 really is a pleasant source, especially for the money. I did stop using my MicroDAC for awhile though, shifting to CDP over PC as Source.

At the moment the only other headphones I have are EH150's. I'll be going to a meet in Chicago on Saturday, and I'll have a plethora of headphones to try out
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought an EC/SS several weeks ago and I couldn't be happier.
And I also use SR225's. I like this combo so much that I haven't tried a single other set of 'phones with it!

Kudos on taking the Eddie Current plunge!

could you speak about how it sounds with the K701s sometime?

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have any other phones to try it with? and how big is it?

I've heard the EC/SS with the HD650s, RS-1s, K701s and L3000s and it mated well with all. Here are the dimensions.

Jun 16, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 31
I would really be interested in your impressions after sixty hours or so. I am skeptical of the burn in factor most people associate with caps and ICs but for some reason, as I keep revisiting some of my favorite CDs, I am noticing more mid range detail and the highs seem to become more refined over time. I can't put my finger on specifics, perhaps the music is more relaxing now or I am finally hearing and enjoying the music more or ........

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 31
Pics added!

Velo, I don't know about SS amp burn in. I'll keep my ears open, but I think it's my ears burning in and not the amp
wink.gif
. Already I'm starting to hear the music's new added depth. Such as when I first plugged in the amp, my ears are expecting to hear the same as before. So the depth is lost to start. Now I'm already getting a good taste of how big and deep music can sound with the ECSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back