Eddie Current Balancing Act
Oct 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #691 of 1,499
Well if a Weiss isn't a good source....

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #692 of 1,499
Shrug, I wouldn't say that the BA is bad. It's certainly good enough that I don't feel like I should sell my K1000s. I've just heard it sound much better. Bottomline is that with my other headphones I feel like the BA is about as good as it can get outside of a few other amps (Mostly high end DIY projects and those are only maybes or possibly equal), but with K1000s I know I can do better. Craig's new integrated or his friend Andy's new integrated is possibly what I will look at. Or I'll one day get something DIY'd for K1000s and my speakers. Or buy one of the things I felt sounded significantly better.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #693 of 1,499

Quote:

That is just the point there other components in the chain that complete the loop. Source is probably more important than the amp unfortunately we HeadFi are always caught up on the latest amp and not looking at the bigger picture "SOURCE"

I would just like to say,, "my  source is one of the nicer digital sources".and ."I have given the K 1000 a chance they just don't have the grunt needed to rule the K 1000".( I am not trolling here,,)  it's just if someone wants a nice amp for the K 1000 my combination is not it.... My WA 22 did a much nicer job... Every other headphone, the Balancing act is the winner..

Also I would like to add, that I think/hope you guys will hear a nice improvement with a good NOS tube..I like the 6SN7GT Tung Sol round plate, ...

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #694 of 1,499
Just curious what source are you presently using. When you say my WA22 did a much nicer job, I also detect the WA22 does not really drive the K1000 with full satisfaction.

Quote:
 I would just like to say,, "my  source is one of the nicer digital sources".and ."I have given the K 1000 a chance they just don't have the grunt needed to rule the K 1000".( I am not trolling here,,)  it's just if someone wants a nice amp for the K 1000 my combination is not it.... My WA 22 did a much nicer job... Every other headphone, the Balancing act is the winner..

Also I would like to add, that I think/hope you guys will hear a nice improvement with a good NOS tube..I like the 6SN7GT Tung Sol round plate, ...

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #695 of 1,499

Meridian 808.2i CDP. (with all 3 amps..FYI all 3 amps. were here at the same time.) I have only heard the K 1000 here at my home, through my Singlepower balanced extreme/supra.."nice"... WA22 nicer,(best I heard from my stable of amps.) Balancing Act distant 3ed.

I could of lived with the WA 22 and the K 1000 sound wise..But.... the pressure point on the side of my head caused some discomfort,, and was compounded by everyday use..((discomfort turned into pain)) so I had to alternate between the WA22 K 1000 and Balancing Act and HD 800.. I just couldn't justify the expense of having two such fine amps. 
Quote:
Just curious what source are you presently using. When you say my WA22 did a much nicer job, I also detect the WA22 does not really drive the K1000 them with full satisfaction.

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #696 of 1,499
Oct 23, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #697 of 1,499
People are free to sell their gear for whatever price they want. That's the only BA I've seen on the used market but if you've seen other BA's for sale in the same price range than that's the going rate.
I've seen some very odd stuff in the used audio market place and this doesn't even begin to qualify. Here's a weird one.

One time I bought an amp (speaker) from a guy (not local). After 2 weeks of having it, the guy emailed me offering to buy the amp back. I was enjoying it so I said no. About a week latter, he emailed me again offering $1k more than I paid for it. I was tempted but it seemed a little fishy and I was REALLY enjoying the amp by then so I said no.
A while later, I was checking Audiogon (where I found my amp) and sure enough, the guy had found another amp and bought it. Two weeks latter, he sold it for a $1.5k loss.
So, what is my amp worth? If you go by this one guys activities, anywhere from $3.5-5k. In other words, you can't tell what the going price is by one example.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #698 of 1,499
How do you arrive at $5,000?  I thought the Balancing Act is $3,950 new.  The Australian dollar is about at parity with the USD.  

As far as holding value, I don't see Eddie Current amps come up for sale very frequently, so it's hard to conclude they don't hold their value.  The only issue is that Craig does tweak his amps over time (like adding a high/low impedance switch to the Zana).  That possibly causes the "old" model without the tweak to lose some value.

As far as Woo amps, my guess is the less expensive models may hold their value somewhat better because they are usually at a lower price point and so more people can afford them...but my guess is that a Woo 5 would take at least as big a hit on resale as a Zana, ZDT, or Balancing Act. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #699 of 1,499

Quote:
How do you arrive at $5,000?  I thought the Balancing Act is $3,950 new.  The Australian dollar is about at parity with the USD.  

His amp was from the same run as mine.. They were $3500.00 Plus $200.00 partial silver transformers,,correct me if I am wrong but $500.00 for the RK 50 volume control.. I think my KR PX4 tubes are $700.00 That's $4900.00 http://www.tubesusa.com/KRtubes.html and try and find a used set of Western Electric 300b  Which the Australian Balancing act has  for less than $1000.00 over $5000.00   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190450258179&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_680wt_905  or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190447819696&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_520wt_905 here  http://cgi.ebay.com/Matched-pair-unused-WE300B-Western-Electric-300B-/270650720821?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f040a4235#ht_1334wt_1139

Just for fun...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320593921978&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #700 of 1,499

People are free to sell their gear for whatever price they want. That's the only BA I've seen on the used market but if you've seen other BA's for sale in the same price range than that's the going rate.
I've seen some very odd stuff in the used audio market place and this doesn't even begin to qualify. Here's a weird one.

One time I bought an amp (speaker) from a guy (not local). After 2 weeks of having it, the guy emailed me offering to buy the amp back. I was enjoying it so I said no. About a week latter, he emailed me again offering $1k more than I paid for it. I was tempted but it seemed a little fishy and I was REALLY enjoying the amp by then so I said no.
A while later, I was checking Audiogon (where I found my amp) and sure enough, the guy had found another amp and bought it. Two weeks latter, he sold it for a $1.5k loss.
So, what is my amp worth? If you go by this one guys activities, anywhere from $3.5-5k. In other words, you can't tell what the going price is by one example.

Great story,,My intention was to ask, "is this the going price?" I was sent a PM yesterday asking if I would sell my Balancing act?? I said sure.... "for what I paid for it!!" $5000.00...I would think one of Justins BHSE would sell used for over the new price.. I figured the Balancing act is in the same category limited production impeccable build top of class sound..it is going to save someone some time,, Craig is almost as slow as Justin LOL and my amp is just like new, and I have all the original packaging...bla bla. The guy never got back to me?? I see the one FS. here for $3150.00 I think "no wonder he never PM me back"...
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #701 of 1,499

Quote:
I just wanted to know if anyone else saw this http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518624/fs-eddie-current-balancing-act-headphone-amp-australia

That's a 3 month old $5000.00 USD. amp for $3145.60 USD. (todays exchange rate.. He was asking 3200.00 Australia Dollars) Is that all these are worth now? I bought a used WA22 and paid the brand new price,,and sold it 3 months later for that same price..Woo Audio seems to hold there price,, why not the Balancing act?

I don't know. All I know is that it's on its way to me 
wink_face.gif

Edit: Mark, I've sent you a PM.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #703 of 1,499
For those who were on the second run. Does the voltmeter on the PSU move as soon as you turn on the amp? or do you have to wait a few minutes?

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #705 of 1,499

Quote:
 I had to alternate between the WA22 K 1000 and Balancing Act and HD 800.. I just couldn't justify the expense of having two such fine amps. 

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear your thoughts on how the WA22 compared to the Balancing Act using non-K1000 headphones, like the HD800s or HD650s.  

I assume the Balancing Act is a better amp.  After all, it is one of the most expensive amps on the market and yet still has a very loyal following here on Head-Fi.  At the same time, I seldom read anything about the WA22 on Head-Fi, even in the massive "Woo Owners Unite" thread.  Does the Balancing Act completely embarass the WA22?  Or is the WA22 a great sounding amp that just falls short of the Balancing Act? 

If you have the time, I would love to hear your impressions.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back