Eddie Current Balancing Act
Oct 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #256 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, exactly. If I had to go with the 10K I would have probably gone in another direction but I lucked out with the 20K. Definitely, discuss this with Craig because it does make it more important to impedance match the source and the amp and may limit your choice of source.

My output impedance is less than 15 ohms, so would this work? I contacted Craig and all he said was that he was willing to do it not whether should I.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #257 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My output impedance is less than 15 ohms, so would this work? I contacted Craig and all he said was that he was willing to do it not whether should I.

The source (output) impedance should be low relative to the BA (input) impedance. Just ask Craig what the input impedance of the BA is. I had this conversation quite a while ago and it was over the phone so I do not have a record of it and do not remember all the details.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #258 of 1,499
BA arrived a couple days ago. I've been out of town so just unpacked tonight. Will post some impressions once the first of my new collection of 6SN7s begin to arrive (couple days).

Best to all,

-Tim

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #262 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has the 2nd run started yet? I asked to be placed on an email notification back in September, but haven't received anything telling me preorders for 2nd run are now being taken.

I hope I didn't miss out.

I think the cut off for the 2nd run had expired by September. As Craig was well underway with the construction of these amps by then. You maybe part of the 3rd run perhaps?

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #263 of 1,499
2nd batch will have a red digital volt display with adjustment so you can change it for a particular tube. Metal is being made next week.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #264 of 1,499
I still don't understand the scheduling for this. But anyway, about how many of these amps are in owners hands now? If he's working on the 2nd run now, doesn't that mean that all the 1st run amps have been sent out? When will the reviews start coming forth?

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #265 of 1,499
Mine hasn't. I'm going to call him today about that.

On some other happy news, I got all the replacement tubes ready to go.
ph34r.gif

Edit:And he didn't pick up his phone. Guess I'll drop him an email.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #266 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't understand the scheduling for this. But anyway, about how many of these amps are in owners hands now? If he's working on the 2nd run now, doesn't that mean that all the 1st run amps have been sent out? When will the reviews start coming forth?

I believe the first run of 5 have been in the hands of their owners for a while. Yes we all want reviews and impressions but I am pretty sure that the darn thing is so musical to its owners that they would rather listen to it then write about it
tongue.gif
I am lucky though that one of the five is local to me and myself and many others will be able to listen to it at the chicago meet november 7th - I am sure impressions will pop up then.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #267 of 1,499
recstar has it about right - I've been so busy listening that I can't say I've been able to detail my impressions with a wide-enough range of experience to give you the kind of detail I think you expect. Also, I am still waiting for several 6SN7s to arrive so I can do a decent comparison. Have been running the Electro-Harmonix with gold pins, which Craig says is made in the same factory as the Tung-Sol, and a couple NOS Russian T-plate 6SN7s, which have been very nice. There's a Brimar, a couple Tung-Sols, and an RCA round-plate or two on the way, but who knows when.

So far, I have just been running subjective comparisons between the BA and the Zana Deux. These are not completely fair because I am feeding the BA with the balanced outputs from a NAD M5 and the ZD from the non-balanced analog outs. I have been using exclusively a set of balanced HD650s on the balanced outs from the BA, and a rock-stock set of HD800s with the ZD and on the SE port from the BA.

The ZD is running stock 6C33C-B power triodes, Svetlana recitifiers, and a 50s 6SL7GT driver. The BA is a 307A version, with NOS Ken-Rads, and the above-mentioned NOS Russian military 6H8C driver. Say 500+ hours on the ZD, <25 on the BA, so everything comes with many grains of salt. Also, only digital sources so far. No vinyl to the BA yet, so I'm not sure what good my comments will do you.

The BA is the best-sounding balanced amp I've heard. Great, black background, very precise control of both ends of notes, excellent space between instruments, outstanding damping (maybe a tad tight, as I don't have many hours in on it), and truly outstanding on complex material. I don't think Brubeck's ever sounded as good to me (on CD) as through the BA. The ZD through the HD800s does not achieve the same dead quiet background as the balanced side of the BA through HD650s. It does though seem to have a less-damped sense of immediacy. For example, the opening of Blue Rondo a la Turk on the BA/HD650 is precise, delicious, and will make you sit down, but the same phrases through the ZD/HD800 will smack you into your seat and ruffle your hair.

I am enjoying the hell out of both of them. I hesitate to say much more because: 1) I haven't enough time in on the BA yet; 2) I do not have both amps wired with comparable inputs, the BA taking balanced inputs, the ZD analog; and 3) my 800s are wired SE whilst the 650s are balanced, making direct comparisons with the same cans difficult. As a general comment, I can say that the BA is magical at making sense of even the most complex, over-produced, too-hot stuff, while also making big space with stuff like Herbie-the-K's Mahler pieces (though I'm mostly running jazz through it at the moment). I think though, that with something like a direct-to-disk, chamber trio, or the special one-sided 45 RPM RCA pressing of Fiedler's 1958 Gaite Parisienne (which I've actually heard performed at Symphony Hall), I might choose the upside-de-haid smack of the ZD. Of course, now that I've said that, I'm listening to Voodoo Cadillac by Southern Culture on the Skids through the HD650s off the BA, and it was so. damn. good. it made me stop typing and listen. So, take this all with a grain of salt. My ZD's continued to improve over hundreds of hours and I suspect the BA will do the same. Enjoy, apologies for the bandwidth, and drive it like ya' stole it!

-Tim

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #268 of 1,499
Glad to see you like it ;p I like mine too
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #269 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see you like it ;p I like mine too
smily_headphones1.gif

Slowly working my way to a completely Eddie Current rig! Just need Craig to design a DAC and a phono pre and we'll be nearly there.

-Tim

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #270 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recstar has it about right - I've been so busy listening that I can't say I've been able to detail my impressions with a wide-enough range of experience to give you the kind of detail I think you expect. Also, I am still waiting for several 6SN7s to arrive so I can do a decent comparison. Have been running the Electro-Harmonix with gold pins, which Craig says is made in the same factory as the Tung-Sol, and a couple NOS Russian T-plate 6SN7s, which have been very nice. There's a Brimar, a couple Tung-Sols, and an RCA round-plate or two on the way, but who knows when.

So far, I have just been running subjective comparisons between the BA and the Zana Deux. These are not completely fair because I am feeding the BA with the balanced outputs from a NAD M5 and the ZD from the non-balanced analog outs. I have been using exclusively a set of balanced HD650s on the balanced outs from the BA, and a rock-stock set of HD800s with the ZD and on the SE port from the BA.

The ZD is running stock 6C33C-B power triodes, Svetlana recitifiers, and a 50s 6SL7GT driver. The BA is a 307A version, with NOS Ken-Rads, and the above-mentioned NOS Russian military 6H8C driver. Say 500+ hours on the ZD, <25 on the BA, so everything comes with many grains of salt. Also, only digital sources so far. No vinyl to the BA yet, so I'm not sure what good my comments will do you.

The BA is the best-sounding balanced amp I've heard. Great, black background, very precise control of both ends of notes, excellent space between instruments, outstanding damping (maybe a tad tight, as I don't have many hours in on it), and truly outstanding on complex material. I don't think Brubeck's ever sounded as good to me (on CD) as through the BA. The ZD through the HD800s does not achieve the same dead quiet background as the balanced side of the BA through HD650s. It does though seem to have a less-damped sense of immediacy. For example, the opening of Blue Rondo a la Turk on the BA/HD650 is precise, delicious, and will make you sit down, but the same phrases through the ZD/HD800 will smack you into your seat and ruffle your hair.

I am enjoying the hell out of both of them. I hesitate to say much more because: 1) I haven't enough time in on the BA yet; 2) I do not have both amps wired with comparable inputs, the BA taking balanced inputs, the ZD analog; and 3) my 800s are wired SE whilst the 650s are balanced, making direct comparisons with the same cans difficult. As a general comment, I can say that the BA is magical at making sense of even the most complex, over-produced, too-hot stuff, while also making big space with stuff like Herbie-the-K's Mahler pieces (though I'm mostly running jazz through it at the moment). I think though, that with something like a direct-to-disk, chamber trio, or the special one-sided 45 RPM RCA pressing of Fiedler's 1958 Gaite Parisienne (which I've actually heard performed at Symphony Hall), I might choose the upside-de-haid smack of the ZD. Of course, now that I've said that, I'm listening to Voodoo Cadillac by Southern Culture on the Skids through the HD650s off the BA, and it was so. damn. good. it made me stop typing and listen. So, take this all with a grain of salt. My ZD's continued to improve over hundreds of hours and I suspect the BA will do the same. Enjoy, apologies for the bandwidth, and drive it like ya' stole it!

-Tim

Sorry for the missing info: the ZD is running a vintage Brimar, my first choice with this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back