Eddie Current Balancing Act
Sep 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,396 of 1,499

Do you mean that you prefer the 717/007 combo better than the 717/009 combo  ! ?

I sold the 007 to get the 009 and felt the 009 was technically superior. Had a micro meet at my place a few months back and heard the 007/717. I've have struggled to get the sound out of my head since. It didn't have the sound stage or detail of the BA/HD800 but was so euphonic - Really caught the emotion. Sorry I am not too good at describing what I hear.

Chengka7, Purrin, thank you for your posts. Very difficult to find someone who has a 445, especially here in Toronto so your impressions really helped.

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,397 of 1,499

I sold the 007 to get the 009 and felt the 009 was technically superior. Had a micro meet at my place a few months back and heard the 007/717. I've have struggled to get the sound out of my head since. It didn't have the sound stage or detail of the BA/HD800 but was so euphonic - Really caught the emotion. Sorry I am not too good at describing what I hear.

Chengka7, Purrin, thank you for your posts. Very difficult to find someone who has a 445, especially here in Toronto so your impressions really helped.

As I posted my initial impressions on the 4-45 thread, I think purrin is spot on about the 4-45. Having extensively listened to it for two days it is simply amazing with the HD800. It is on the leaner, brighter side of things, but even without modding the HD800 it is never fatiguing or sibilant. It is smooth and free of grain, partly because of slightly recessed upper mids. Notably, it is extremely resolving and images like nothing I have heard. It has an exceptional ability to extract low level information in that sense that it draws more information across the soundstage, in this particular respect I find it clearly superior to my WA5. Everything is delicately balanced to a cohesive whole. I think it is a perfect match for the HD800, which doesn't seem to like the more theatrical, front row presentation of the WA5.

Vocals can sound slightly less rich than I prefer on certain recordings. I assume that is the price you pay for having more low level information. It does many vocal recordings spectacularly.

I am still trying to adjust to the rather lean bass of the 4-45 driving the HE-6 and SR-009 via the Woo WEE. The bass with the HD800 is just about right though I would like it to be more as a matter of preference (I just have to turn up the volume for that!). I think the solution is to get a nice solid state amp to give the HE-6 more guts!

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,403 of 1,499
  Mine sez 2.5a on the back

Oh, yea.  Missed that . . . 
ph34r.gif

Wonder if that's fast or slow blow  . . .

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,404 of 1,499
I had the opportunity today to listen to the EC BA for quite a while, spent two hours in the shop, fortunately is was quite and not noisy. What should i say - I returned home and I'm somewhat sad now not to have it here.

Ive got goosebumps more then once, shaken by the way the music was presented. Ive not too much comparisons, but it was simply amazing.

I was listening through a EML 300B Mesh matched pair on my LCD 3F. I loved the way the sound was presented - soundstage was precise, but not spectacular wide (I heard afterwards for a short while a HD 800, which was quite better in stage, or at least a bit better, but the difference was not too large if you ask me), vocals have been stellar - I can not describe it better, as Ive listened to Emili Sande - Daddy, Live at the Albert Music Hall. Ive heard the track quite some time on the Oppo HA-1 (which maybe is not the right comparison), but the first time I was unstoppable listening. It was absolutely amazing. The voice presentation, the precise stage, and the bass foundation was reference like.

Thunderstruck from AC/DC struck me right away. Max Herre (a german singer) live was in the same way hitting me away.

It was also the first time for me to hear the HD 800, and before I always had some doubt that maybe the HD 800 could be also a good choice for me. But finally, I know that the LCD is right away the best one for me.

Im wondering what is the part of the DAC today in the total sound as I heard the TotalDAC DAC. I know that this is one of the best, even among the R2R DAC. But to which extend Ive heard now the amp and the DAC?

Anyway, if you love tubes, I can recommend the EC BA. Great stuff, and maybe soon mine :).

Feuergeist

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,406 of 1,499
I couldn't agree with you more Feuergeist.   I know the BA is not the "Flavor of the Month" anymore but I love mine and have had and continue to have that same reaction to it that you do.  While I haven't heard every headphone amp out there, I've heard many and, other than reserving judgment until I hear the Stax 009 on a good amp or the EC 445, I cannot think of any other amp that might give me the same reaction as the BA.

I am fortunate enough to own the Zana Deux SE and the Zana Deux XDT as well but the BA (with great tubes) distanced itself from them with my equipment.  I originally paired it with the HD800 (re-cabled) and loved the combo and felt no real urge to change.  Then, I decided to get all OCD and bought the Audeze LCD-Xs and LCD-3s and can now choose according to style of music.  What the BA has done to my listening is very simple yet very illustrative to me - now I always find myself listening to the ENTIRE album no matter what artist - something I almost never do (unless it's certain albums or certain artists).

I will also say this - the members on this site and the press have pretty much nailed the description of the great sound and the differences between the Audeze cans but, at least in my experience, I have never heard my HD-800s sound bright (at least not with the BA or ZDSE and the cables I have).

Good luck in your journey!

Frank

(Tower-of-Power-NUT)

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,407 of 1,499
It is a nice amp. I have been using it with LCD 3 recently, different to the 009 but good.

Anybody tried the aftermarket umbilical cords? Cables are a divisive issue, are replacement umbilicals...more divisive?

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,408 of 1,499
I thing the ECBA will be my end of the line amp.  I recently tried a Schiit Ragnarok and returned it.  While great for solid state it just doesn't have that Balancing Act magic.  I think the Stefan audio umbilical is worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back