Eddie Current Balancing Act
May 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,366 of 1,499
  QUESTION: is the 2A3mk4 really a viable solution for Speakers ? 6w seems very low compared to a dedicated speakers amp ? isn't a Headphone + speaker Amp more a gimic than a real solution ? What speakers do you use with your 2A3mk4 ?  do you need to crank the volume control all the way up when you use speakers ?  no distortions ? good sound from the speakers ? 

Depends on how efficient your speakers are.  6w would power the ever living crap out of my Klipschorns.

May 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,367 of 1,499
We're many french people around there.
smily_headphones1.gif

nobody's perfect 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #1,370 of 1,499
Hi everybody !

I'm a proud new owner of BA. I fell in love with his smoothness, texture, clean sound.
This unit has stock tube and want to try others tubes. There is tube that can add richness, weightness ?

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,371 of 1,499
  Hi everybody !

I'm a proud new owner of BA. I fell in love with his smoothness, texture, clean sound.
This unit has stock tube and want to try others tubes. There is tube that can add richness, weightness ?

Err ... there are 90 odd pages on this thread. I don't suppose you have had skimmed through at least the last 10 pages? Lots of info already covered about tube rolling in this thread :)

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #1,372 of 1,499
  Hi everybody !

congratulation.

May I ask why you went for the BA instead of the new 4-45 for which I have placed an order ?  Do you feel that the BA is more appropriate for you ? 

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #1,373 of 1,499

congratulation.

May I ask why you went for the BA instead of the new 4-45 for which I have placed an order ?  Do you feel that the BA is more appropriate for you ? 

Been awhile since i have been on this thread. And there is no mention of this 4-45 on the Eddie Current website? What are the specs of this thing and what is the RRP of this unit?

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #1,374 of 1,499

Been awhile since i have been on this thread. And there is no mention of this 4-45 on the Eddie Current website? What are the specs of this thing and what is the RRP of this unit?

The 4-45 is indeed not on the EC site, but it has been described at lenght in this thread and also here.  

Basically, it is a 4 tubes AMP that is Headphone Amp + Speakers Amp (3w).  But It cannot be used as a pré-amp while the BA can.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #1,375 of 1,499

congratulation.

Hi Michels,

Thank you. First point the 445 are more expensive. Second point I think it is a bit smoother.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,376 of 1,499
  The 4-45 is indeed not on the EC site, but it has been described at lenght in this thread and also here.  

Basically, it is a 4 tubes AMP that is Headphone Amp + Speakers Amp (3w).  But It cannot be used as a pré-amp while the BA can.

Thanks. Wow ... certainly looks the part. I might add i also own an ECBA myself running with the 300B/PX4 & 6SN7 variant. I have been actually using it as a preamp last couple of years. I am on a journey at the moment to find myself another preamp so that i might be able to reclaim the ECBA for it's rightful place and that is as a headphone amp.

If you have time :) .. my pre-amp journey thread can be found here

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/61774-valve-preamp-recommendations-please/

But in summary i have heard the following preamps to try to knock the ECBA off it's mantle;

1. Octave 300
  2. Octave HP500SE
  3. Zesto Leto
  4. Coincident Statement Line Stage
  5. Lindemann 830S
  6. Audio Note M6
  7. Audio Research Ref 5SE
  8. Weston Pre

I am about to get the opportunity to listen to a Shindo Masseto next so we will see how that goes.

But of all those listed above the ones i would classify as being "better" than the ECBA as a preamp are;

1. Audio Research Ref 5SE
  2. Audio Note M6
  3. Octave 500SE

Of these three the Audio Research Ref 5SE sound best in my system. The Audio Note M6 is a fantastic pre - with excellent timing, pace and rhythm - although i certainly wouldn't say it has the "high end" reach the ECBA - in fact not many of them did. The ECBA has excellent high end retrieval and extension. And great "air" - with great natural decay.

Whilst the Octave 500SE is also a good preamp after having heard both the Octave HP300 and the Octave 500SE i have decided i am not a fan of the Octave "sound signature" - a little bit too brooding, dark and veiled for my liking. This is a preamp that i would still encourage you to try - as you might actually like the sound. Has excellent bass detail retrieval though.

I do still hope to listen to a few pre-amps to try to see if i can find something a little bit cheaper than the AR Ref5SE (which retails for approx. $US10k (or $AU18k)).

But getting back to this particular model - the 4-45 - what you are suggesting is that you can have an EC pre-amp as well as an EC amp for 2ch listening - how cool is that. I wonder if Craig is going to release a DAC or CDP next?

EDIT: It just occurred to me maybe the 4-45 could be used with great effect with the AKG-K1000's? I use my K1000's hooked directly into a First Watt F3 replica amp - and it sounds superb. The 4-45/K1000 combo might be an awesome combo also?

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,377 of 1,499

Thanks. Wow ... certainly looks the part. I might add i also own an ECBA myself running with the 300B/PX4 & 6SN7 variant. I have been actually using it as a preamp last couple of years. I am on a journey at the moment to find myself another preamp so that i might be able to reclaim the ECBA for it's rightful place and that is as a headphone amp.

If you have time :) .. my pre-amp journey thread can be found here

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/61774-valve-preamp-recommendations-please/

But in summary i have heard the following preamps to try to knock the ECBA off it's mantle;

1. Octave 300
  2. Octave HP500SE
  3. Zesto Leto
  4. Coincident Statement Line Stage
  5. Lindemann 830S
  6. Audio Note M6
  7. Audio Research Ref 5SE
  8. Weston Pre

I am about to get the opportunity to listen to a Shindo Masseto next so we will see how that goes.

But of all those listed above the ones i would classify as being "better" than the ECBA as a preamp are;

1. Audio Research Ref 5SE
  2. Audio Note M6
  3. Octave 500SE

Of these three the Audio Research Ref 5SE sound best in my system. The Audio Note M6 is a fantastic pre - with excellent timing, pace and rhythm - although i certainly wouldn't say it has the "high end" reach the ECBA - in fact not many of them did. The ECBA has excellent high end retrieval and extension. And great "air" - with great natural decay.

Whilst the Octave 500SE is also a good preamp after having heard both the Octave HP300 and the Octave 500SE i have decided i am not a fan of the Octave "sound signature" - a little bit too brooding, dark and veiled for my liking. This is a preamp that i would still encourage you to try - as you might actually like the sound. Has excellent bass detail retrieval though.

I do still hope to listen to a few pre-amps to try to see if i can find something a little bit cheaper than the AR Ref5SE (which retails for approx. $US10k (or $AU18k)).

But getting back to this particular model - the 4-45 - what you are suggesting is that you can have an EC pre-amp as well as an EC amp for 2ch listening - how cool is that. I wonder if Craig is going to release a DAC or CDP next?

EDIT: It just occurred to me maybe the 4-45 could be used with great effect with the AKG-K1000's? I use my K1000's hooked directly into a First Watt F3 replica amp - and it sounds superb. The 4-45/K1000 combo might be an awesome combo also?

You may also consider the Audio Research Ref DAC:  A wonderfull  "Music player + DAC + Pre-Amp"  that has always facinated me.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,379 of 1,499
Anyone interested in my 2A3MKIV can just PM. Since I will have 445 in the near future, I might let it go in 2 months. I plan to keep one tube amp and one SS amp. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,380 of 1,499
deleted double post

Users who are viewing this thread

• K3cT
Back