Eddie Current Balancing Act
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,231 of 1,499
  I agree the Cardas cable was an improvement over the stock in every way. I am a cable skeptic, but the Cardas cable gave a bit more body and clarity to the system.  A slight loss of airiness which I believe was because the Cardas smoothed out the somewhat sibilant HD800 treble.  It was very much like going from stock to modded HD800.

It certainly falls into the final tweak category as the difference was subtle but noticeable. 

Even with the mod, the Cardas Clear cable and the TS BGRP (which have improved the sound with more refinement) the HD800 can be a little fatiguing over longer periods of time, especially at higher volume. Has anyone else experienced this with the ECBA? I have the 307a version.
I'm waiting for the Off Ramp 5, which by some accounts, is meant to be more analogue sounding. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,233 of 1,499
I find my unmodded HD800 to be fairly smooth out of the Lampi > ECBA (Mullard ECC35, EML Solids). Out of the Master 7 the sound was considerably more lit up. I also discern the HD800 virtues and detractions, so poor mastering tend to be listened to on other headphones.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,235 of 1,499
  The stock HD800 can be a little fatiguing over time period.  The best thing I've found to help is the Anax mod, but I personally still experienced fatigue with certain genres over long sessions.

Stapsy modded my HD800s with the latest version of the Anax mod. It's probably my recordings which are causing this as quite a few of the tracks are old and the treble can be a little harsh.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,236 of 1,499
PWD Mk. II with Firmware version 2.0.2 > ECBA with PX-4 & TSBGRP > HD800 with Inner Fidelity Anax Mod (Creatology foam only) = not fatiguing with any genre over long periods of time for me.

This is my forgiving configuration (Sylvania driver takes even more of the upper mids/treble off) and I can throw anything at it.  If I change firmware or output tubes, they definitely affect the presentation, dynamics, FR.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,237 of 1,499
We could try the "warm" foam rings as CT suggests.  I forgot about that.  The newer version uses a asymmetric tapered ring.  Not sure if taking out the shelf liner would help or not.  Based on Purrin's measurement's I think it was better with the shelf liner.

FWIW I didn't hear any harshness when I listened to your BA with my DAC...though we listen to pretty different music.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,238 of 1,499
Hey guys, i am just wondering if there is a huge difference between BA's balanced output and single end output regarding to the sound quality. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,240 of 1,499
Sorry for that, but I am also wondering if the difference is really subtle or there is still a noticeable difference between them. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,242 of 1,499
The bigger the soundstage of the track, the less fatiguing I've found them to be. It's as though the stridency is at a comfortable distance from my ears and diluted to natural levels.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,243 of 1,499
  The bigger the soundstage of the track, the less fatiguing I've found them to be. It's as though the stridency is at a comfortable distance from my ears and diluted to natural levels.

How do the LCD 2 and LCD 3 compare to the HD800? I take it you lose a lot of the soundstage. Heard both of them but not with the ECBA. Got a meet coming up so should get to try them. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,244 of 1,499
  Hey guys, i am just wondering if there is a huge difference between BA's balanced output and single end output regarding to the sound quality. 

I'd say the difference is most noticeable in the sound-stage and separation of instruments.  Since I listen to classical this is probably more of a factor.  If you did close A/B testing you would definately hear the difference.  If you listened to balanced one day and single-end the next day, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

BTW, I really like the job Robert at Aphrodite Cu29 did on my HD800s.  He replaced some internal silver clad wiring with all copper (I think)  It fixed a lot of the treble issues the HD800s are known for.  If I had to do it again, I'd get the silver Wireworld cable, but it is crazy expensive.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,245 of 1,499
The LCDs are a lot more closed-in, which can sound either natural and intimate (good) or congested (bad) depending on the recording. The LCDs can't handle complex passages the way the HD800s do. The tonality on the LCDs is more natural, but the BA narrows the gap in tonality. The LCDs are also punchier and more forgiving. In general, I use the LCD-3s for harder music, and the HD800s for softer music. The HD800s scare me for anything that hits hard, since when it punches you usually get that stridency along with the punch, forcing me to lower the volume. Basically, the LCDs are exciting, and the HD800s are beautiful. I would say the genre is the key element in deciding which one to use.

How do the LCD 2 and LCD 3 compare to the HD800? I take it you lose a lot of the soundstage. Heard both of them but not with the ECBA. Got a meet coming up so should get to try them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back