ED8 VS HD800 initial impression
Oct 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

DC5Zilla

500+ Head-Fier
REMEMBER!! this is initial impression. ED8 only have 5 hours of burn in.

Hello head-fiers..

I've recently sold my HD800 in order to purchase GS/PS1000; however, I've stumbled upon a really nice deal on Edition 8 that I couldn't resist. I heard many compliments on them about their bass quality and impact so I thought it could worth a shot. I know that this comparison is rather flawed since I no longer have HD800 in my hand. But I certainly remember some of the characters and thought I could share my very noobish impression on ED8 compared to the HD800.

First off, when I've opened my fedex box, I was quite surprised by the lack of quality in Edition 8 box. I know that box doesn't affect sound quality by any way but I thought Ultrasone could of done better for a headphone with price tag of $1499. HD800's box was much better in every aspect. Hands on the Edition 8, it was smaller and lighter than expected. I think the size is about half of Sennheiser HD800. Build quality on Edition 8 is simply STUNNING. I don't think they have any plastic in them. Etiopian sheep skin looks and feels excellent. I don't know how someone could hate the look of ED8.... its pretty sexy
biggrin.gif

Regarding to comfort level, Edition 8 does very well. The earcup surrounds your ear perfectly and the headband spread the weight evenly on your head. Only problem I can find is that the leather pad can warm up a bit. All in all, Edition 8 is very comfortable... But IMO, the HD800 was a bit more comfortable with larger Japanese alcantara pads. Cable? pfff, no comparison. Edition 8's cable length is perfect for portable use but its just TOO short for home use. You can use extension cable but that is going to make it 4m long.. rather too long? Also the cable itself looks like same quality as $100 Denon 1001k. HD800 cable was much better.

Before I jump in to sound comparison, please do know that this is coming from a newbie with few knowledge about head-fi terms...

Soundstage: To be honest, I was very surprised by Edition 8 here. I didn't know closed headphone could have this much soundstage!! I can clearly hear where the sound is coming from. Very nice width and depth. But I'm not so sure about the height... rather shallow? But still... HD800's soundstage is much better. It had humongous soundstage in all aspect... almost holographic.

Treble: In my ear, I think this is one of the two place Edition 8 does better than HD800. Its much more sweet and soft compared to the HD800 where they had too hot treble for my taste IMO. But I could appreciate a little bit more sharp treble on ED8. Hope burn-in will help here
smily_headphones1.gif

Midrange: Edition 8 has more in-your-face type of midrange. Its forward and aggresive but in a good sense. But I have to admit.. HD800's midrange was way better. I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain it
frown.gif
The vocal sounded very realistic and had some magical taste to it.

Bass: This is where I like about Edition 8!! It has great punch and impact while having similar bass quality compared to HD800. The bass is tight and fast. HD800's bass was little more tight and crisp but it simply lacked the punch of bass IMO. But still, maybe I could appreciate a little tad more impact
wink.gif

Detail: Simply no match. IMO HD800 is definitely in a different league.

Both cans were surprisingly neutral. I thought Edition8 was going to have some color into them.... I was wrong! They are relatively flat with a bit of emphasis on lower frequency. As in regard to sound leakage, Edition 8 performs extremely well. Unless you're listening at very loud volume, people around you will have hard time hearing what you're listening at.

All in all, even though HD800 surpasses ED8 in most of the sound quality aspect, I think Edition 8 will be a keeper for me. They are much more "fun" and "musical" can to me.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[I don't know how someone could hate the look of ED8.... its pretty sexy
biggrin.gif

Because it's so bling and flashy.
ph34r.gif
Well that's why I don't like the particular design of it anyway.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it's so bling and flashy.
ph34r.gif
Well that's why I don't like the particular design of it anyway.

Aren't HF-2 also flashy?
icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 42
If anything, I thought the Edition 8 sounded very closed-in. You'll be amazed with what other closed headphones such as the DX1000 and W5000 can provide in terms of soundstage. They can really put the Edition 8 to shame in terms of soundstage.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 42
Thank you for the comparison.

One thing, it would be nice if you also mention the rest of the equipment in your rig.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything, I thought the Edition 8 sounded very closed-in. You'll be amazed with what other closed headphones such as the DX1000 and W5000 can provide in terms of soundstage. They can really put the Edition 8 to shame in terms of soundstage.

With what gear? THe Ed 8 likes a VERY good amp and on my Phonitor they were anything but closed in. THey were as open with as good a stage as my PS1000 and O2.

I agree with the OP that will these are no the world's most technically accurate headphone, they are just SOOOOOOO much fan to listen to and the bottom end is PERFECT. I also think the midrange gets the closest to the speakers in my reference rig which are quite extreme.

Their construction is off the charts and may everything else look cheaply built in some way as there is NO plastic on these cans and everything is perfectly machined. Leather surfaces are stunning as well and very comfortable.

Any shortcoming that you could attribute to a closed can is not present on these.

I will like to be able to keep a pair for traveling but and too paranoid to scratch them.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their construction is off the charts and may everything else look cheaply built in some way as there is NO plastic on these cans and everything is perfectly machined. Leather surfaces are stunning as well and very comfortable.

I thought the actual cups were some sort of plastic/composit underneath the rodium or whatever coating.

I will get a chance to compare the Ed8 to the HD800 and PS-1000 at the Danish meet tomorrow.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don´t know... the DX 1000 sounds much more closed in then my Pro 900. But then Ed 8 is a different headphone of course.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With what gear? THe Ed 8 likes a VERY good amp and on my Phonitor they were anything but closed in. THey were as open with as good a stage as my PS1000 and O2.

I agree with the OP that will these are no the world's most technically accurate headphone, they are just SOOOOOOO much fan to listen to and the bottom end is PERFECT. I also think the midrange gets the closest to the speakers in my reference rig which are quite extreme.

Any shortcoming that you could attribute to a closed can is not present on these.

I will like to be able to keep a pair for traveling but and too paranoid to scratch them.

It was out of a Audio-Gd Phoenix and Zana Deux.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will get a chance to compare the Ed8 to the HD800 and PS-1000 at the Danish meet tomorrow.

Have fun! I look forward to your impressions of them.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 42
Very thanks for the detailed review. I had kept waiting for these articles in this year.

I am curious about the Detail comparing. I perssonaly think the performance in Detail should be the most important part in pricing to headphones. If ed8 is in a different league below Hd800 in this respect, it should be set a price tag at $500 but not $1500
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have fun! I look forward to your impressions of them.

Back from the Danish meet where I did listen to PS-1000 and HD800 with markl Adrenaline cable compared to my APS V2 recabled Ed8. The first to be expeled was the PS-1000 which neither I nor most of the others liked at all. The best word I can come up with for it's sound is "vulgar". It is overblown in every aspect and with every type of music I tried it with. Now the HD800 is a much more interesting proposition. I am predujiced a little against them (or any other open phone as I simply can not use an open phone and so don't have so much interest in them) but they are probably the better over all against the Ed8, however this is not at all objective and depends on what sound you want. To me the HD800 is a more "correct" slightly lifeless and slightly boring phone. It has bigger/better soundstage than the Ed8 and the bass while not so puchy or full reaches deep and is probably better controlled. The Ed8 bass can sometimes give the effect that it can't really escape and the rolls around inside the cup where as the HD800 bass does it's job and then escapes out the open back of the phone. The Ed8 is the livelier, "funner" sound. Both of them clearly belong in the top range of phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back