Ed8 sounds different depending on head position
May 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
Is anyone else noting this. I hear a difference in sound when I tilt my head backwards, forwards, turning my head to the sides and when it's in neutral.

Not so with my other cans. Seems like the acoustic technology produces this effect.

May 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 40
spam bot obviously.

Ultrasone uses displaced drivers. Explain why it reacts different and is not compatible with everyones ear either I suppose.

Headphones with angled driver also tend to change a lot depending on how you seat them.

Edition 8 is so tight fit so there is kind of only one way of wearing them for me.

May 5, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 40
Yes, I do agree with you. When you turn your head to the sides, the sound quite to be change ALOT. I think it is a fix issue because Editon 8 cup is not very much flexible like my Leatherhead 
L3000.gif

May 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 40
If you hear a difference when you turn your head, you're hearing things.

May 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 40
Well i know with my ultrasones i hear a difference depending on how they are seated on my head. But turning my head makes no difference so i am not sure what the reason for that would be. If you hear a difference from just turning your head i guess it is safe to say that you don't use them outside of the house.

May 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
lol, quote of the day for me 
biggrin.gif

LOL!  Then, if one turns one's head and coughs...  Well, one should hear that too.  :wink:

May 6, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 40
I see that the experience varies.  Fair enough.  I don't use my Ed8's outside and fail to see what that has to do with my making this observation.  The difference I'm hearing is quite distinct and has nothing to do with a simple thing as how it's positioned.  Afterall, there's not much room for varying position considering the close fit of the cups.

Who doesn't hear things kwkarth?  If you don't hear it, then it's imagined?  I see what you mean. :)

May 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 40

Quote:
Well i know with my ultrasones i hear a difference depending on how they are seated on my head. But turning my head makes no difference so i am not sure what the reason for that would be. If you hear a difference from just turning your head i guess it is safe to say that you don't use them outside of the house.

I think it was a joke. I hope so anyway :)

edit: Aimlink you mean if you turn your head. You move your head and it affects the sound output? Only possible explanation I can think of is you are about to experience a cable break?

I thought you where just experience the issue many of us Pro 750/900/2500/ED9 owners had before

May 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
I think it was a joke. I hope so anyway :)

edit: Aimlink you mean if you turn your head. You move your head and it affects the sound output? Only possible explanation I can think of is you are about to experience a cable break?

I thought you where just experience the issue many of us Pro 750/900/2500/ED9 owners had before

I'm not referring to a cable issue.  I wouldn't consider it a change in output.  I would more consider the Ed8's acoustic technology to be sensitive to a change in my external ear topology when I move my head into different positions.  This happens only with my Ed8's and not with any of my other cans.  It's a distinct trait that I've noted for some time now, and thought I'd bring it up.  I really didn't expect comments about my hearing things.  The usual silliness.... you know.  I was hoping I'd read that sort of stuff only in the cable threads. 
rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
Ultrasone uses displaced drivers. Explain why it reacts different and is not compatible with everyones ear either I suppose.

Headphones with angled driver also tend to change a lot depending on how you seat them.

Edition 8 is so tight fit so there is kind of only one way of wearing them for me.

Same here - only one way to wear them comfortably for me.  Fortunately, they sound great in that position :)

Definitely true though that headphones with angled drivers are going to have this effect, where the sound will depend on how they are positioned, but I find this more of an issue where the earcup is bigger and there are more possible positions.

May 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 40
Ok, so all joking aside, how you position the cans on your head will very much affect their sound.  Moving/turning your head cannot cause any change in what you're hearing, unless doing so also affects the position of the cans on your head.

If you perceive a sonic change when you turn your head and nothing else changes, the phenomenon you are observing has to be psychoacoustic, unless perhaps your eustachian tubes are plugged and turning your head causes compression of the tube, thereby changing the pressure in your middle ear, thereby changing the compliance of your eardrum and concomitantly changing the frequency response of your ear.

May 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 40
Get in front of speakers, lay down, listen, sit up, listen, then twirl in circles and listen. Your unconscious mind tries to compensate for all your movements so that sounds coming from stationary sources remain stationary. When you move while wearing headphones, the sounds move with you, can be disorientating. Something else disorientating, when you lay down with headphones with drivers that aim at more than the ear canal, the positioning travels with your head, can be dizzying having the musicians playing from above you while sleeping with headphones on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back