Ed8 sounds different depending on head position
May 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #16 of 40

Quote:

Same here - only one way to wear them comfortably for me.  Fortunately, they sound great in that position :)

Definitely true though that headphones with angled drivers are going to have this effect, where the sound will depend on how they are positioned, but I find this more of an issue where the earcup is bigger and there are more possible positions.

Not only are they angled, but the drivers in Ultrasones are mounted off center, below and in front of the axis of one's ear canal, so as to try and capture some of the pinnae's acoustic shadow for psychoacoustic benefit.  It also gives them something to write about. 

May 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #17 of 40
Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, so all joking aside, how you position the cans on your head will very much affect their sound.  Moving/turning your head cannot cause any change in what you're hearing, unless doing so also affects the position of the cans on your head.

If you perceive a sonic change when you turn your head and nothing else changes, the phenomenon you are observing has to be psychoacoustic, unless perhaps your eustachian tubes are plugged and turning your head causes compression of the tube, thereby changing the pressure in your middle ear, thereby changing the compliance of your eardrum and concomitantly changing the frequency response of your ear.

Hmmm.  They may well be moving in small increments <shrug>

Get in front of speakers, lay down, listen, sit up, listen, then twirl in circles and listen. Your unconscious mind tries to compensate for all your movements so that sounds coming from stationary sources remain stationary. When you move while wearing headphones, the sounds move with you, can be disorientating. Something else disorientating, when you lay down with headphones with drivers that aim at more than the ear canal, the positioning travels with your head, can be dizzying having the musicians playing from above you while sleeping with headphones on.

This would be meaningful only if the change was evident with all headphones tried.

May 6, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #18 of 40

Quote:
Hmmm.  They may well be moving in small increments <shrug>

You know, I just thought of another possible cause for change in sound as you rotate your head... When you turn your head, you are changing the shape of your neck and cheek and maybe the earcup is starting to break seal against your head.

May 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 40
I don´t think the drivers are angled just displaced from what I can tell on the Pro 900. Haven´t dissected the ED 8.

I see I misunderstood you Aimlink. But still I have tried all kind of head position and I can´t notice any change at all. I have never experienced such issue with any headphones whatsoever.

haloxt those speakers are still stationary... If you use headphones they follow you around so nothing changes.

May 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 40

Quote:
You know, I just thought of another possible cause for change in sound as you rotate your head... When you turn your head, you are changing the shape of your neck and cheek and maybe the earcup is starting to break seal against your head.

I guess this is a possibility since the cup sort of spans the posterior angle on my mandible unto my neck.  I may be wearing them a bit too far down?

This thread demonstrates why you shouldn't keep anything to yourself.  I'm actually surprised that no-one else experiences this.  Here was I assuming that it was an Ultrasone Technology pitfall.
rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 40
I don't know man, but they sound different to me when I turn my head to the sides. Have you try any ATH with different position(Too forward or too backward)? They also sounds change though..
Quote:
I have tried all kind of head position and I can´t notice any change at all. I have never experienced such issue with any headphones whatsoever.

haloxt those speakers are still stationary... If you use headphones they follow you around so nothing changes.

May 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #23 of 40
oqvist, my point is that you are messing with your unconscious compensation for head movements by having a sound source that moves along with your head.

aimlink, most headphones put the sound directly into the ear canal and leave out the psychoacoustic effects of an outer ear. My hypothesis is that since the ed8 does utilize your outer ear, you are more focused on spatiality and get disturbed by the fact that the source of sound follows your head movements. Just imagine if you turn your head and everything in your field of sight is stationary, or follows with you. But I just threw this theory out there because you never really described just how it sounds different, neither did I know you've yet to rule out improper sealing, which would be a much more likely reason for your perceived auditory difference.

May 6, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 40

Quote:
aimlink, most headphones put the sound directly into the ear canal and leave out the psychoacoustic effects of an outer ear. My hypothesis is that since the ed8 does utilize your outer ear, you are more focused on spatiality and get disturbed by the fact that the source of sound follows your head movements. Just imagine if you turn your head and everything in your field of sight is stationary, or follows with you. But I just threw this theory out there because you never really described just how it sounds different, neither did I know you've yet to rule out improper sealing, which would be a much more likely reason for your perceived auditory difference.

Haha.  You seem to have it all figured out, don't you.  I don't think I've actually described the difference I'm hearing... and to tell the truth, it doesn't matter.  I'm getting nowhere here.  All I know is that it's there and it's inconsistently experienced in that not all others are experiencing it.  Thanks for the input anyway.....

May 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
Haha.  You seem to have it all figured out, don't you.  I don't think I've actually described the difference I'm hearing... and to tell the truth, it doesn't matter.  I'm getting nowhere here.  All I know is that it's there and it's inconsistently experienced in that not all others are experiencing it.  Thanks for the input anyway.....

aimlink, if you can describe what you're hearing, we can give you, in all probability, an explanation of what's causing the phenomenon you're hearing.

May 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #27 of 40
I don't experience a change from side to side, but I do if I move my head to the extremes of my forward or backward range of motion. It's darker and quieter when my head is down and brighter and and louder when back. It may be due to a physical compressing or stretching of my ear canal from the muscles in my neck.

May 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #28 of 40
Do any of you who experience this effect consider this a "flaw" with these headphones? Does it impede your enjoyment of them?

May 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
I don't experience a change from side to side, but I do if I move my head to the extremes of my forward or backward range of motion. It's darker and quieter when my head is down and brighter and and louder when back. It may be due to a physical compressing or stretching of my ear canal from the muscles in my neck.

Or more blood rushing to your head with your head pushed down.

priest this issue would be with just about every headphone I suspect for those that experience it. Or I am still not getting it :D

May 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #30 of 40

Quote:
Do any of you who experience this effect consider this a "flaw" with these headphones? Does it impede your enjoyment of them?

A flaw... perhaps.  It can be distracting at times, so in a sense, yes it does.

Quote:
Or more blood rushing to your head with your head pushed down.

priest this issue would be with just about every headphone I suspect for those that experience it. Or I am still not getting it :D

I do not have this issue with any other of my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back