Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Dec 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #976 of 992
i just picked up a pair of the finder to review on our site--while i'm still burning in, my initial reaction is that they're a little hard to drive with my htc 10 and really need amping to show their true character. this seems to be contrary to the impressions of other, who seem happy using just their mobiles. am i off base here?

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #977 of 992
IMG_4200.JPG

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #978 of 992
Finder X1 eats my previous iems (Xiaomi piston 2,VE Monk), including my Chord&Major 8 13 Rock... after more than 50 hours of burn-in, the highs are not so edgy and the soundstage it's more larger as before.
I'm blown away by the sound of this earphones.

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #980 of 992
That is a good price. Didn’t won’t to take them to work with me before but at that price might have to get another pair this time with the mic .

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #981 of 992
Whew, finally read till the last post.

I got my pair from massdrop last month and boy do they need burning in. Out of the box the treble was really too sharp and peaky sounding. About 80 hours of burn in has really made them a lot better. Bass has also tightened up a bit but it's still a bit too much with the white filters. Im not using the other 2 filters because the white one sounds the most natural of the 3. Do the filters need burn-in too???

Im not sure if this is normal for the massdrop version but there are no comply tips included at all and there also isn't an organiser :frowning2:

It sounds good so far but the treble still sounds a little artificial on certain instruments. Hopefully it will improve further with more burn in as mochill said :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #982 of 992
Whew, finally read till the last post.

I got my pair from massdrop last month and boy do they need burning in. Out of the box the treble was really too sharp and peaky sounding. About 80 hours of burn in has really made them a lot better. Bass has also tightened up a bit but it's still a bit too much with the white filters. Im not using the other 2 filters because the white one sounds the most natural of the 3. Do the filters need burn-in too???

Im not sure if this is normal for the massdrop version but there are no comply tips included at all and there also isn't an organiser :frowning2:

It sounds good so far but the treble still sounds a little artificial on certain instruments. Hopefully it will improve further with more burn in as mochill said :)

Hey @seanwee , thanks for leaving your thoughts :) The Massdrop version of the Finder is a non-microphone edition that does not come with Comply, nor does it come with a filter carry tray. These two features are included only with our microphone versions, available on Amazon or via our website.

Glad you have had a chance to play with the burn in! The PEEK drivers on the Finder certainly demand it, and the sound signature you should have after 80 hours is the one that the Finder is intended to have. It will, however, continue to burn in through well over 300 hours, so have fun noticing the changes! FYI, you do not need to burn in the filters.

Cheers :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #983 of 992
My X1 (black filter) has more than 100 hours and it’s sound great, very detailed, directly from my Chord Mojo.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #984 of 992
Hey @seanwee , thanks for leaving your thoughts :) The Massdrop version of the Finder is a non-microphone edition that does not come with Comply, nor does it come with a filter carry tray. These two features are included only with our microphone versions, available on Amazon or via our website.

Glad you have had a chance to play with the burn in! The PEEK drivers on the Finder certainly demand it, and the sound signature you should have after 80 hours is the one that the Finder is intended to have. It will, however, continue to burn in through well over 300 hours, so have fun noticing the changes! FYI, you do not need to burn in the filters.

Cheers :)
Oh I see, maybe you can give the people over there a heads up? Some are complaining of not receiving the comply foam tips and the tray since massdrop said it was included.

Yeah, hopefully it continues to improve. B9 influenced me get the Finder since he said that it was a definite step up from the JVC FXH-30. Currently I find it to be a bit of a sidegrade or a small upgrade. The FXH-30 still manages to edge out the finders sometimes in midrange resolution and separation though the Finder wins most of the time. I think it's due to them being boosted in different regions with the FXH-30 being boosted more in the lower mids while the Finders in the mid-highs. Overall the FXH-30 still sounds more natural but mainly due to the highs of the Finder sounding a bit artifical especially on cymbals and ssss sounds. Basically the FXH-30 takes the win in realism but the Finders are more detailed.

Managed to try out a CKR-9 a week ago from the owner of a local audio store (mine broke :frowning2: ) and it still handily beats both the Finder and FXH-30 in midrange resolution, separation, detail ...... everything . It's highs are a bit like the Finders but not as extended or detailed. I still dig that highly textured rumble of the CKR9 though. Take away 3-4db of the mid bass of the Finder, add detail and texture and you have the CKR9's bass. Still the best bass quality I've ever heard save a few TOTL planars. It's a shame he didn't want to sell it.

The Finders do improve a bit with amping. Bass is more controlled and tighter, trebles are also a bit more natural. Mids improve a lot though. Then again, it could just be the N5ii plainly sounding better with the O2.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #985 of 992
BTW, can anybody compare the Dunu 2000j to the finders? I'm under the impression that it will be an upgrade over the finders. I tried out the 2000 and it sounded like a finder with less bass and brightness.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #986 of 992
Just equalised the Finders and they sound GREAT. Im using the white filters btw. Mid bass is toned down to increase midrange clarity. Mids are also boosted a little.

Opinions would be appreciated :)

Just a standard 10 band equaliser
Settings:
31 : 0
62 : - 2
125: - 4
250: + 2
500: + 2
1k : + 3
2k : + 1
4k : 0
8k : - 1
16k: + 2

Edit : It distorts a little on certain tracks.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #987 of 992
Oh I see, maybe you can give the people over there a heads up? Some are complaining of not receiving the comply foam tips and the tray since massdrop said it was included.

Yeah, hopefully it continues to improve. B9 influenced me get the Finder since he said that it was a definite step up from the JVC FXH-30. Currently I find it to be a bit of a sidegrade or a small upgrade. The FXH-30 still manages to edge out the finders sometimes in midrange resolution and separation though the Finder wins most of the time. I think it's due to them being boosted in different regions with the FXH-30 being boosted more in the lower mids while the Finders in the mid-highs. Overall the FXH-30 still sounds more natural but mainly due to the highs of the Finder sounding a bit artifical especially on cymbals and ssss sounds. Basically the FXH-30 takes the win in realism but the Finders are more detailed.

Managed to try out a CKR-9 a week ago from the owner of a local audio store (mine broke :frowning2: ) and it still handily beats both the Finder and FXH-30 in midrange resolution, separation, detail ...... everything . It's highs are a bit like the Finders but not as extended or detailed. I still dig that highly textured rumble of the CKR9 though. Take away 3-4db of the mid bass of the Finder, add detail and texture and you have the CKR9's bass. Still the best bass quality I've ever heard save a few TOTL planars. It's a shame he didn't want to sell it.

The Finders do improve a bit with amping. Bass is more controlled and tighter, trebles are also a bit more natural. Mids improve a lot though. Then again, it could just be the N5ii plainly sounding better with the O2.

Just equalised the Finders and they sound GREAT. Im using the white filters btw. Mid bass is toned down to increase midrange clarity. Mids are also boosted a little.

Opinions would be appreciated :)

Just a standard 10 band equaliser
Settings:
31 : 0
62 : - 2
125: - 4
250: + 2
500: + 2
1k : + 3
2k : + 1
4k : 0
8k : - 1
16k: + 2

Edit : It distorts a little on certain tracks.
Now the finders absolutely trump the FXH-30 in detail and are close to the CKR9. Still sounds less natural than both though. Now to refine the EQ so that it doesn't distort :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #988 of 992
I have been sitting on these Trinity Phantom Hunter earphones for several months now, they've remained practically unused because I don't really like carrying around valuable stuff with me. If anything on them falls off, like one of the tuning filters, then I can't very well contact trinity to replace them. I'm contemplating selling them so I can fund a new camera I was saving up for. Thoughts? Or do you think it would be better to hang on to them as some sort of unique and valuable collectors piece? They are pretty damn sweet earbuds, and I got the anodized titanium version which I personally think is really beautiful. I'm torn, I'm probably not going to sell them but I want to know what you would do.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #989 of 992
I have been sitting on these Trinity Phantom Hunter earphones for several months now, they've remained practically unused because I don't really like carrying around valuable stuff with me. If anything on them falls off, like one of the tuning filters, then I can't very well contact trinity to replace them. I'm contemplating selling them so I can fund a new camera I was saving up for. Thoughts? Or do you think it would be better to hang on to them as some sort of unique and valuable collectors piece? They are pretty damn sweet earbuds, and I got the anodized titanium version which I personally think is really beautiful. I'm torn, I'm probably not going to sell them but I want to know what you would do.

You should sell them, buy a camera, and replace them with the Finder :wink:

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #990 of 992
Yep sell them and get the camera or better yet have kids like I did 30 some years ago and let them give you a camera for Christmas (sweet Canon Rebel T6i) for mine and the wife’s 25th anniversary trip to Greece leaving this weekend can’t wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back