Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #31 of 992
I had to destroy the packaging too LOL. And I would say these definitely have a V shaped signature. I think they sound more like the T20 though or more to the point the signature is more like if the T10 and T20 had a baby :).

I also find the upper mids and treble a bit to strong for me but the 100hr burn in helped smooth them out enough that I enjoy them more now.

I also struggled with a seal in one ear using the stock tips so have switched to JVC spirals to get the right fit. Bullet tips are always tricky for me.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #32 of 992
I had to destroy the packaging too LOL. And I would say these definitely have a V shaped signature. I think they sound more like the T20 though or more to the point the signature is more like if the T10 and T20 had a baby
smily_headphones1.gif

I also find the upper mids and treble a bit to strong for me but the 100hr burn in helped smooth them out enough that I enjoy them more now.

I also struggled with a seal in one ear using the stock tips so have switched to JVC spirals to get the right fit. Bullet tips are always tricky for me.

I felt similarly about the upper-mids and highs when I tried the Finder X1s for the first time. I used my trusty reference Questyle QP1R DAP with em. The QP1R really shines in the lower octaves with IEMs to me. Actually, especially after this mornings walk at dusk - I can say that I enjoy the low end through my IEMs the most through my Questyle. I think the AK380 out-plays it in terms of overall resolution and transparency - but there's something magical about that current-mode amp that brings the bass beast out of all my IEMs!

The Echobox X1s were so freakin' dynamic on my walk to get coffee this morning (got inspired to write at dusk - and gotta strike when that happens - given the madness I'm dealin' with this year)
pic of the sunrise down here in Huntington Beach in SoCal :

I ended up using them for hours at my desk/workspace while starting a new essay for Positive Feedback - and I have the upcoming Cavalli Portable (his battery-powered amp - the Carbon is silly good, and this is STUPID good) there - but the QP1R + Finder X1s were giving me such captivating sound I ran the Questyle down to 4% (hey - it's good to give it a full-cycle charge now and then anyway) before switching over to my ETHER-Cs and the Cavalli.

That might be a bigger complement than any flowery prose of mine can offer the Finder X1s! Of course I'm still in the impressions phase - but these things do far more than I personally expected for $200 bucks. I'm hearing them change pretty dramatically during burn-in. I'm grateful I got to hear @warrenpchi's pair when I heard mine for the 1st time - because I knew that forwardness mentioned above, of the upper-mids and treble would smooth out. I love how light they are, how f__ durable/ their indestructibility - and their look. They also make a terrific seal in my ears. So enthusiastic thumbs up on fit finish for sure.

The sound now, after about 6 days, is wonderfully fluid across the frequency spectrum (while I'm using the bass filter - usually my choice - that or the "reference" filter). The bottom is punchier with this filter of course, but it doesn't come at the price of the bothersome squashing the mids and highs.

- I was also impressed with this sort of fluidity in the Explorer DAP - but I haven't had enough time with that to express my formal impressions yet. I got to listen to it before I committed to a testimonial of course  - and was very impressed with its sonic capabilities and aesthetics. I was particularly impressed with the DAPs lower-mids. I think alot of DAPs fall short in that area. I often hear highs, mids, and bass. But the Explorer did a fantastic job with the lower-midrange on Pink Floyd's "Money" and this Chinese drum track whose title I couldn't translate 
biggrin.gif
. The Explorer's musicality was also impressive with some other acoustic tracks I found on the prototype (I think it was a prototype - FELLAZ????) - but I'll need to log into my TIDAL account and load some reference files onto it before offering anything further...

The X1s however - DAAAMN. I was bumpin' Dr. Dre's Compton soundtrack (the 2nd one - the unofficial soundtrack/LP - deluxe version) and it not only BANGED, but there was precision and soul. I gotta have both. Tori Amos's "Wild Way" off Unrepentant Geraldines was so airy and vivid I'd recommend these to a family member if they were seeking universal IEMs for 200 bucks. That's also my way of giving them a high recommendation - as I wouldn't offer my fam junk! The cable is also feather-light and I haven't experienced any microphonic issues. The midrange is colorful (NOT colored) and coherent - the signature has an addictive quality for me - especially in the mids to bottom-end. I also think @dweaver's statement about them sounding like a combination of the T10 and 20 is freakin' brilliant!

I'm havin' a blast thus far, and they seem like they're just starting to truly open-up!!

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #33 of 992
Mike! So glad you liked our gear. You know I've been reading your reviews for years now - hearing your feedback on my product is such a full-circle. So awesome.

Glad you're digging the Finders! Can't wait to put an Explorer in your hands ^_^

Quote:

I felt similarly about the upper-mids and highs when I tried the Finder X1s for the first time. I used my trusty reference Questyle QP1R DAP with em. The QP1R really shines in the lower octaves with IEMs to me. Actually, especially after this mornings walk at dusk - I can say that I enjoy the low end through my IEMs the most through my Questyle. I think the AK380 out-plays it in terms of overall resolution and transparency - but there's something magical about that current-mode amp that brings the bass beast out of all my IEMs!

The Echobox X1s were so freakin' dynamic on my walk to get coffee this morning (got inspired to write at dusk - and gotta strike when that happens - given the madness I'm dealin' with this year)
pic of the sunrise down here in Huntington Beach in SoCal :

I ended up using them for hours at my desk/workspace while starting a new essay for Positive Feedback - and I have the upcoming Cavalli Portable (his battery-powered amp - the Carbon is silly good, and this is STUPID good) there - but the QP1R + Finder X1s were giving me such captivating sound I ran the Questyle down to 4% (hey - it's good to give it a full-cycle charge now and then anyway) before switching over to my ETHER-Cs and the Cavalli.

That might be a bigger complement than any flowery prose of mine can offer the Finder X1s! Of course I'm still in the impressions phase - but these things do far more than I personally expected for $200 bucks. I'm hearing them change pretty dramatically during burn-in. I'm grateful I got to hear @warrenpchi's pair when I heard mine for the 1st time - because I knew that forwardness mentioned above, of the upper-mids and treble would smooth out. I love how light they are, how f__ durable/ their indestructibility - and their look. They also make a terrific seal in my ears. So enthusiastic thumbs up on fit finish for sure.

The sound now, after about 6 days, is wonderfully fluid across the frequency spectrum (while I'm using the bass filter - usually my choice - that or the "reference" filter). The bottom is punchier with this filter of course, but it doesn't come at the price of the bothersome squashing the mids and highs.

- I was also impressed with this sort of fluidity in the Explorer DAP - but I haven't had enough time with that to express my formal impressions yet. I got to listen to it before I committed to a testimonial of course  - and was very impressed with its sonic capabilities and aesthetics. I was particularly impressed with the DAPs lower-mids. I think alot of DAPs fall short in that area. I often hear highs, mids, and bass. But the Explorer did a fantastic job with the lower-midrange on Pink Floyd's "Money" and this Chinese drum track whose title I couldn't translate 
biggrin.gif
. The Explorer's musicality was also impressive with some other acoustic tracks I found on the prototype (I think it was a prototype - FELLAZ????) - but I'll need to log into my TIDAL account and load some reference files onto it before offering anything further...

The X1s however - DAAAMN. I was bumpin' Dr. Dre's Compton soundtrack (the 2nd one - the unofficial soundtrack/LP - deluxe version) and it not only BANGED, but there was precision and soul. I gotta have both. Tori Amos's "Wild Way" off Unrepentant Geraldines was so airy and vivid I'd recommend these to a family member if they were seeking universal IEMs for 200 bucks. That's also my way of giving them a high recommendation - as I wouldn't offer my fam junk! The cable is also feather-light and I haven't experienced any microphonic issues. The midrange is colorful (NOT colored) and coherent - the signature has an addictive quality for me - especially in the mids to bottom-end. I also think @dweaver's statement about them sounding like a combination of the T10 and 20 is freakin' brilliant!

I'm havin' a blast thus far, and they seem like they're just starting to truly open-up!!

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #34 of 992
Any of you guys own Sony MH1C tips. Give them a try using the silver filters on the X1. Just amazingly good using these tips. Sounds like it was engineered with the MH1C tips in mind. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #35 of 992
Ok I hate be the naysayer of the group but I am struggling mightily with the treble of the X1. The bass and midrange is fine. But to my ears the treble just sounds tinny and artificial way to often for my liking. Its like the cymbals and similar instruments are shouting and on helium all at the same time and I am noticing a bit of grain.

Its almost like the desire to create an audiophile type signature lead to extremes in the treble region to ensure it was bright enough.

The IEM these remind me of in this regard is the JVC X90 (not sure if I have the name right, the one with dual dynamic drivers). It had a big v shape to the signature and it was exciting but just to harsh. Consequently they sold a ton of pairs out of the gate but we're quickly replaced by many customers.

Sorry for harshing on anyone's highs but that's where I am at right now.

Oh I also retried the filters to see if that helped. I was using the blacks to start and the silver and red just made the issue worse for me. I also played with tips but that also never resolved the issue and these have well over 100 hours of intense burn in.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #36 of 992
The X1 is pretty bright and definitely too bright for me at normal insertion depths. I have to get closer to the 2nd bend to tame the treble to be within my preferences.

Perhaps try some dual or triple flange tips, regardless of comfort, just to see if deeper fit helps? Also spinfit tips are undersized and easy to fit deep for me. That's what I'm using.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #37 of 992
I will try the triflange tips and see of that helps. My challenge them will be comfort though as I generally can only stand shallow insertions.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #39 of 992
That means your a treble-head :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #43 of 992
Just ordered a pair from their Indiegogo page!

Can't wait to get 'em!

popcorn.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 992
The design really reminds me of the FAD piano forte series. Hopefully it doesn't sound like them.

Why is the $79 tier the same as the $99 tier?

We wanted to get a really good deal out there for people, but we had to put a cap on the $79 - we can't afford to sell out our whole first production run on really steep discounts. We just wouldn't make any money!

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #45 of 992
Couple more photos of Finder X1.

Atm I'm working on my iBasso DX80 review. Once completed I will begin work on Finder X1 (which are still impressing me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back