Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Nov 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 992
I am currently cranking an ACDC, Led Zeppelin, and Patricia Barber through my pair at a much higher volume level than I can stand to see if I can tame the upper midrange and treble. I hope it takes the edge of those areas as I am still finding them to make vocals and cymbals to sound a bit etched and at times artificial or at least off a bit. Maybe to emphasized is the better word for it.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #20 of 992
OK I am going to just let these cook for several days straight. I tried them tonight and the treble is just to much for me still and that's while using the black filters. I just may be to used to a darker sound to ever go back to a bright signature but I want to give these a full shot before I say they for certain.

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #22 of 992
I have had the opportunity to listen to the new Titanium Finder X1 earphones this past week and am anxious to pass on my thoughts here on Head-Fi. .  The titanium housing and silver cable really adds a nice quality factor to this piece.

I want to thank H20 Fidelity for posting his pics above.  I took some as well but the quality is not as well as what has already been posted.

[Just to briefly preface this review, I have been listening to the super high end 5-driver  Pro50’s  almost exclusively for the past 8 months so it took my ears a bit of time to re-acclimate themselves to a lower end (but more affordable) dynamic driver.   As a reference point, I am a listener that needs my bass and needs to be able to crank it up and really get into my music with zero distortion at moderately loud volumes.  I cannot have any  shrillness or harshness as it will kill my ears.  This has always drawn me to the Westone and Shure products because they both seem to build IEM’s with this is mind.  While a full engaging sound is extremely important to me, without the detail….the IEM is not worth much at all, so detail must come through as well.]

I tested the X1’s with my Ipod Classic as well as with  my Ibasso T3 analog amp and Topping NX1 amp.

After spending a week with them I will say that in a price point that is brutally competitive, the Echobox Finder X1 Titanium earphones are a really nice offering and highly recommended.

Filters: There are 3 different filter configurations to change the frequency response.  I really like the ease of a filter change out.  But be cautioned.  These are very delicate tight tolerance materials and parts.  These filters screw right onto the nozzles by hand and they are machined to extremely tight tolerances.  Be careful and patient screwing them on and off as not to wreck the threads.  No tool needed, just finger application.  Quite honestly, as was also the case with the SE846, I noticed only subtle differences between the 3 different filters.  Being a warm, smooth bass guy I like the black filters best.  As a side note, Echobox also provides a really nice zipper case to carry your IEM’s around in.

Tips:  Excellent selection of tips.  All are silicone type.  There is a set of black bi-flanges and tri-flanges as well as 3 sets of different sized single flanges.  I am using the ones supplied on the IEM’s.   The tips fit VERY snug onto the nozzles which I really like.  It is frustrating when tips are loose fitting and you are worrying about the tip getting stuck into your ear.   X1 is an easy fitting IEM with the cable running down but could also look completely normal worn upside down with the cable going up over the ears.

Cable:  The cable is silver with a clear (seems like) rubber coating.  Extremely comfortable and a nice feel to it.  Reminds me a lot of the IE800 cable.  While I am not super active while using IEM’s, microphonics seemed very low.   As a point of note, I see virtually no strain relief where the cable enters the housing which is odd but I am no design engineer either.  Perhaps it is protected on the inside where the cable meets the housing?  Not sure….I suppose time will tell if this is an issue.   I can’t think something this obvious was overlooked without it being addressed somehow. 

Treble:  Very revealing.  I think most would find it acceptable but for some it may not quite hit some registers cleanly enough.  This is probably my only criticism with this IEM.  It sounds plenty bright for my ears regardless of what filter you are using.  I am not a technical guy with measurement tools but the upper mid/lower treble sounds a bit “splashy” to me.  I would not go so far as saying it is harsh because I know harsh, especially at the volumes I listen to.  I also want to be fair in the fact that I have been using the ultra butter smooth treble IEM of all time the past 8 months (Pro50) so the Finder X1 is quite the contrast but the X1 seems to splash at the frequency range I mention.    Whether additional burn-in or use with other gear corrects this is uncertain.

Bass:  Really nice. Perhaps the best feature of the X1.  One must always put the price point in perspective but at $200, I have no problems with the fullness of sound and amount of bass coming out of this product.  I am under the opinion that there is a direct distinction between quality of bass and the price point.    The Finder X1 bass reminds me of my JH5 bass in many ways.  While it doesn’t hit super low and doesn’t have the insane gritty detail of a ($800) IE800, it does a great job of covering the entire bass range  without missing much or offending any area.  Very nice linearity.  From memory I would say it is a more satisfying bass than the GR10 or DUNU Titan 1’s.   

Mids:  The mids are just the way I like them.   Not too forward and not too far back. Vocals sound real and distinct.  Echobox did a great job here.  The presentation should be appreciated and work with all genres of music.

Soundstage:   Again…we must consider the price point but I like distance and space between all instruments.  Ideally, for me personally, I like even greater depth but Finder X1 does a decent  job re-creating soundstage and the imaging is decent.  The speed and decay seem honest to the recording.  No complaints in this area at all.  

AMPING:  The X1’s have decent efficiency and I found little or no improvement when using either of my (2) amps.

FINAL THOUGHTS:  For me, sound quality is #1 criteria.  I rarely listen more than an hour at a time and can usually work around fitament issues.  I did not talk much about fit but Finder X1 is very comfortable earphone that can just nestle in your ear all day long with no discomfort.     My only problem in doing this review is that I am not familiar and have not heard much competitor product in this price range.  But I like what I hear for $200.  The bass is surely a highlight and strong point of the X1 but overall clarity is great as well......nothing sounds veiled or cloudy.  Finder X1 is a nice product and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 992
OK, I am having another quick listen tonight after leaving these burn in for the past 30hrs and tonight the treble is starting to come down. I am going to give these another couple of days of burn in then start to get serious about my review. But tonight I am starting to feel hopeful that I will enjoy this IEM without feeling fatigue every time I use it.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 992
I am deliberately only have short listen sessions so my ears don't just grow accustomed to their signature (using my Z7/Z5 in between). That way I get a better idea of the burn in is actually doing anything. I will listen again tomorrow night which will have given these at least 50 hours of high volume burn in using music that generally has a ton of treble and midrange intensity.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #26 of 992
OK I have let these burn in for probably close to 100 hours so think I am finished with that phase and will start to work on my review. The treble is not quite as harsh as it was but I do think there are some spikes in the upper midrange / lower treble. They are still enjoyable but the spikes will bother anyone who struggles with spikes in those areas.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #27 of 992
Used mine at the gym today; isolation is very good.

And I'm serious when I say they sound like a cross between the CKR9 and Titan. Using the red(bright) filters.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #29 of 992
I have a pair I've had for a week or so but just recently had opportunity to start using. They have over 150 hours, if that matters to some.

- Build seems really good. Not quite RHA level build but definitely seems robust.
- Cable is pretty nice. It's flexible without seemingly giving anything up in durability. I appreciate the small plug. The lack of strain relief at the housing is the only concern.
- Filters were damn near impossible to remove from the box. I nearly went WWE on it. Suffice to say I won't be taking any glamour shots of the inside of the box now.
- V shaped sig with boosted deep bass and bright, sparkling highs.
- Mids, while recessed, are very clear. There is zero mud.
- Treble can be a bit much for me. Deeper fit helps to alleviate it a good bit and lower volume helps as well.
- Stock tips are very comfortable and soft. Unfortunately they don't seal well on my left ear, so I'll need to tip roll to find something close in comfort that can go deep. Maybe for the future they can slightly stiffen or thicken them just a hair, so they don't fold in on itself quite as easily. That would help seal and not give up much in comfort.
- To me, the natural competition to the X1 is the RHA T10. Both are bassy signatures but attack bass in different ways. X1 is deeper and the T10 is about middle bass impact.
- While the RHA may edge out the X1 in overall build, I prefer the lower profile build of the X1. Sonics aren't even close really. I think the X1 is superior. Bass is tighter and mids are much clearer in the X1, thanks to the bass emphasis being lower in frequency response than the RHA. While highs are a bit splashy, again deeper fit and lower volume help a great deal. Only issue is finding the right tips to do this comfortably. For some the stock tips will be perfect.

Edited for mobile phone auto-correct buffoonery.

I should add that the above is with the white filters, which is the best compromise between the three choices IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back