ebay weirdness - likely scam
Jun 3, 2007 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I was browsing some digital SLRs on ebay and came across a listing for a Canon body. When I clicked on the listing to check it out, my browser was re-routed to an identical looking listing, but it had a Buy It Now price of $2250 (vs the $.17 starting bid price in the list view) and my browser (Firefox) came up with a security warning regarding phishing. On top of that, it's being offered by a zero-feedback seller. I've never seen this happen before and reported it to ebay. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here's the link, if you want to check it out. I don't think it's harmful to just look at, but view at your own risk. I'm pretty much convinced it's a scam, but I would be interested to know what others think:

ebay link

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 18
First I opened a seperate window and logged in to my eBay profile, then closed the window.
Then I clicked on the link that Tech2 provided and clicked on "ask the seller a question" before it re-routed me. Hopefully the dirty pimp will read my pm.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 18
This is a $6.5k camera that is for sale for $2250. Erhm
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 18
Good to see that browser securities are a little bit more beefed up than before. I really really despise scammers and phishers.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 18
I too had my ebay identity stolen and have subsequently closed my account - not worth the hassle if you don't use it very frequently

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 18
whoa never seen this before... extreme! firefox also alerted me of suspected phishing... i as well am glad to see that security is improving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back