Ebay Tube Amps
Mar 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #76 of 89
Theres a small socket on the right hand side. I haven't actually used it yet. ¬_¬

Dsc00159-1024.jpg

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #77 of 89
It looks like it's wrapped in tin foil. =[

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #78 of 89
Yeah the amp finish is pretty gaudy, but its the price you pay for the cheap chinese manufacturing practices. Theres a black coloured model availible iirc. But i doubt itll look much better. A lot of the shimmering in the pictures is down to the camera flash too, its not nearly so shiny in real life.

Also, I very much doubt that the wood is wood.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the amp finish is pretty gaudy, but its the price you pay for the cheap chinese manufacturing practices. Theres a black coloured model availible iirc. But i doubt itll look much better. A lot of the shimmering in the pictures is down to the camera flash too, its not nearly so shiny in real life.

Also, I very much doubt that the wood is wood.

Oh, I think the wood is almost certainly wood, certainly on my amp. The small ammount of it used, it wouldn't really be efficient to veneer it. It certainly feels like wood, and the gran matches up sensibly as it goes around curves.

But yes, it does look a little bit like it was made on blue peter.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #80 of 89
Yep. its wood alright, dunno what species, but it is wood.

Duggeh, could you try having a listen through some cans and let us know do you hear any hum or buzz? Be aware that plugging in cans doesn't mute the speaker outputs!

Fran

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #81 of 89
Had a listen with the Ergo 2s via the headphone out. Theres no more hum from the headphone socket than I get on the Ergo Amp or the NAD headphone socket. There is a very minor hum on the speaker terminals to the AMT though. Any listening volume wipes it over. Its not even a hum, its more a very very quiet buzz. Possibly just tube noise.

Nothing thats obviously a ground loop or an actual sonic polutant.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #82 of 89
Hi again Duggeh and thanks for prompt reply before,

is the quality of the headphone out good...I'm looking to get tube sound/quality out of a headphone socket and was thinking this amp fits the bill ?

cheers
Neil

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #83 of 89
Its a rather roundabout way to go for a tube headphone amp given its a 15 watt speaker amp.

The headphone out is quite capable as best I can judge. The only dynamic headphones I have are the Ergo 2s and they are much more easily driven as power goes than say a K701.

I dont have any tim etonight to do any great comparison with the Ergo Amp 1. But my 2 minutes listening gave the impression that its quite capable. I dont know how much hiss you ight get with a lower impedience headphone like a grado though.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #85 of 89
The review you just posted hendern88 is more like duggeh's amp (a 6p14) rather than the 6p1's that myself and fran have. It looks like it uses EL84's, which are the direct swap into duggeh's amp.

And in answer to your final question, for the price, I really don;t think you CAN go wrong. For the money they are stunning little amplifiers.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #86 of 89
...... but with the usual caveats when buying chi-fi.

I'm pretty happy with mine (same as stewthekings 6P1) and sound is cracking! However, I did have to do a few mods to get it that way and there is still quite a level of hum if I were to use my HD650s with it. The K501s are just lovely through it though..

Fran

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #88 of 89
Okay, so another little update. After surviving brilliantly on the Russian tubes for several weeks, one of my input valves has failed. It has failed in exactly the same way as the chinese ones were dodge when I first got the amp.

Is this a problem with the 6N1 valve in general, or maybe something inherrent in this amp which means it eats input tubes like candy?

Anybody any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back