ebay stepped attenuators?
Jul 1, 2008 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
is going with a stepped attenuator from ebay a safe bet? just have a couple questions since I havent used one before, firstly, do I want a linear or logarithmic one? Quite a few that I've seen on ebay are linear, or just dont say at all, but from what I know with my limited knowledge, most regular potentiometers we'd use in a headphone amp are logarithmic not linear right? So if i get a linear stepped attenuator, would that be no good? Secondly, is one like the link below going to be suitable for a headphone amp? I'm pretty sure that its stereo, since in the connection diagram it shows what look to be 2 channels, but if i could get hte OK from someone first, I'd feel a lot more comfortable. I assume that if the BOM of the amp in question called for a 50K pot, I'd simply use a 50K stepper?

DACT type 23 stepped attenuator volume control 50K 300b - (eBay.ca item 290241099713 end time 01-Jul-08 22:00:00 EDT)

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 20
Definitely Recommended. Go for 50k if you can, but when I got mine only 100k was available. They're excellent value.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 20
hey that is a sweet price,

what is the difference in Ohm value, is it 'the greater it is the weaker the output volume'?

[edit] just read from tangentsoft that it is about noise floor and easiness to drive,
so for general use will 10K suffice?

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 20
LOL RDS maybe! I didnt get it recommended from him, just searching around on ebay for parts, im really starting to think so with all our recent commonalities though! you planning to head to that vancouver meet?

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 20
got me one ordered.
smily_headphones1.gif
for my single ended b22 project

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 20
I had a different non-smd stepped attenuator from ebay, and it worked great until a year passed. After that, the contacts began to degrade and loud noises were present when turning the switch (in the audio, not physical noises from the switch). Although I cannot vouch for the quality of these specific switches, do not be too surprised if they require replacing at some point.

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a point of clarification, those Ebay units are not DACT attenuators (Danish Audio ConnecT) - I'm not saying they aren't fine and dandy but they're ripping off someone's name to try and sell their product.

I was about to post that.

The auction says: "DACT like"

They might be good anyway ,but certainly not dact made.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a different non-smd stepped attenuator from ebay, and it worked great until a year passed. After that, the contacts began to degrade and loud noises were present when turning the switch (in the audio, not physical noises from the switch). Although I cannot vouch for the quality of these specific switches, do not be too surprised if they require replacing at some point.

I think that's a problem intrinsic to rotary switches.

And it's not that they need to be replaced, it's that they need to be cleaned, with something like Fader Lube.

It's annoying, and it's why i sortof regret using stepped attenuators in a few projects.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 20
ya i realize they arent dact lol. it was obvious immediately upon viewing the photo. I think they claim they use "dact like" smd resistors lol. BIG similarity right??? anyhow, i figured despite the cheesy rip off name, it looks to be a fairly solid product, especially at that price. figured there cant be any harm in ordering one up to try, especially if others have had good experience with them. so how often would a stepped attenuator need to be "cleaned" with some kind of product to maintain proper usage???

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 20
yep, pretty much my thoughts too. figured itd be cool to try one out in my upcoming b22 build instead of a basic alps blue velvet or whatnot, just for a nice change and to "broaden" my DIY horizons a little bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back