Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
May 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,082 of 1,148
Quote:
Yes.  I think that's how I see it in mine.  For what I understand, gain has to be configured on the CCS Kit before installing it and following the polarity.

I finally got around to assembling the kits. Mine came with 1K trimpots(2.5mA to 100mA).
I'm not sure if this is OK or what adjustments I'm supposed to make before installing/powering up. I'm waiting for further directions before proceeding.

May 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,084 of 1,148
Installed the CCS. First impressions are a more open sound as if the tube had a bigger set of lungs. A tad more gain but nothing to worry about. A couple of inline attenuators on the RCA outputs did the trick but weren't really necessary.
Once again a small but worthwhile improvement and probably the last piece of the MM mod puzzle - at least until summer is over and/or someone shows me how to change the surface mount regs that feed the DAC chip.
But to be honest I really don't feel like pulling the board out again. It's sounding great as is and I've beaten the odds so far as far as messing something up goes so maybe better to not push my luck any further.

May 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,085 of 1,148
You guy's are playing with fire, with these final mods, You can blow (fry) a Dac in a heart beat....... Even with some "body" static...... be careful for what little bit of improvement you think you hear.......JMO

May 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,086 of 1,148
Quote:
Installed the CCS. First impressions are a more open sound as if the tube had a bigger set of lungs. A tad more gain but nothing to worry about. A couple of inline attenuators on the RCA outputs did the trick but weren't really necessary.
Once again a small but worthwhile improvement and probably the last piece of the MM mod puzzle - at least until summer is over and/or someone shows me how to change the surface mount regs that feed the DAC chip.
But to be honest I really don't feel like pulling the board out again. It's sounding great as is and I've beaten the odds so far as far as messing something up goes so maybe better to not push my luck any further.

Thanks T&C for your initial impressions.  You give it time to break-in and the CCS sound will open up more.  I actually loved the increased gain + including the dynamics.  

I am going to try to implement the Belleson regulators that you currently have.

Be well.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,087 of 1,148
Big thanks to "AVU" for the tube advice.

I've settled on an E80CC labeled Amperex PQ. No more tube hunting for me, it's a keeper.

Now I'm comparing my Bursons with some NewclassD DEXA opamps.

They are completely different. The Bursons are full bodied and very analogue. DEXA's are lean and clean.

I'm really impressed with the DEXA / E80CC combo. It has warmth but also clarity and extension. And the sound stage is almost too big, if there's such a thing.

I'm about to migrate all this over to a Minimax Plus. So I'll do my best to rate the differences between the two DACs.

What recession?

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,088 of 1,148
Glad to hear it!  
biggrin.gif

The Amperex PQ is phenomenal. I'm intrigued by the DEXA opamps though - you make them sound like a great match.  Might have to look into a pair... 
wink_face.gif

In fact, didn't someone have a pair they didn't like?  If anyone's willing to part with theirs, PM me.  I'd like to try them out!  

Quote:

I've settled on an E80CC labeled Amperex PQ. No more tube hunting for me, it's a keeper.

They are completely different. The Bursons are full bodied and very analogue. DEXA's are lean and clean.

I'm really impressed with the DEXA / E80CC combo. It has warmth but also clarity and extension. And the sound stage is almost too big, if there's such a thing.

I'm about to migrate all this over to a Minimax Plus. So I'll do my best to rate the differences between the two DACs.

What recession?

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,089 of 1,148
Just to throw in my 2 cents, the Amperex/Philips really is a great tubey/forgiving valve. Between the Tungsram and Amperex, I couldn't decide which I liked more.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,092 of 1,148
Just swapped in some LME49990 opamps into the Plus into U1/U2/U6/U7, running solid state with the tube removed, and I am really impressed with the improvement. There is (to me, at least) a really improved sense of dynamics and punchiness, as well as an increase in detail, particularly noticeable in background vocals. Back to listening for me!

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,093 of 1,148
Quote:

What recession?

What other opamps apart from the stock have you tried in your mini max?  Have you tried others such as the LME or the ADI?

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,094 of 1,148
Quote:
What other opamps apart from the stock have you tried in your mini max?  Have you tried others such as the LME or the ADI?

Just the AD797, which I liked a lot. For memory it was similar to the Burson Discretes but less thick sounding.

I think the Bursons are unique, they add weight. But in my system I have a mid bass hump, so they could sound a bit congested in the mid/upper bass.

Sorry I don't have much experience with other IC's.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,095 of 1,148
Quote:
Just the AD797, which I liked a lot. For memory it was similar to the Burson Discretes but less thick sounding.

I think the Bursons are unique, they add weight. But in my system I have a mid bass hump, so they could sound a bit congested in the mid/upper bass.

Sorry I don't have much experience with other IC's.

It be interesting for you to compare the Burson and Dexa to the LME 49720/49860,  these will cost you a fraction of what the Dexa and I am interested in someone to compare them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back