Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Apr 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,066 of 1,148
I like the bling on mine better though
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah I think it is better to maintain consistency throughout than to get the AES/EBU for the sake of getting it. So far, there are only a few USB/SPDIF converters that offer AES/EBU output. Considering the fact that good performing AES/EBU cable need not cost a bomb, those looking for an upgrade for their computer audio should definitely consider this option =)

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,067 of 1,148
Op-amp questions from a newbie when it comes to op-amp rolling.

I want to try the  LME49990 on positions U1 and U2. Do I have to make them dual, right? Meaning with a SO8 to 8-pin DIP Adapter, U1 and U2 will each take two LME49990 op-amps?

With U6 and U7 all I need is one LME49990  op-amp each on a SO8 to 8-pin DIP Adapter, correct?

So to use all LME49990 op-amps, I will need 6 LME49990 op-amps plus four SO8 to 8-pin DIP Adapters?

Do I have to solder them or do the LMe49990 op-amp snap into the adapters?
Thanks for the help!

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,068 of 1,148

Quote:
Op-amp questions from a newbie when it comes to op-amp rolling.

I want to try the  LME49990 on positions U1 and U2. Do I have to make them dual, right? Meaning with a SO8 to 8-pin DIP Adapter, U1 and U2 will each take two LME49990 op-amps?

With U6 and U7 all I need is one LME49990  op-amp each on a SO8 to 8-pin DIP Adapter, correct?

So to use all LME49990 op-amps, I will need 6 LME49990 op-amps plus four SO8 to 8-pin DIP Adapters?

Do I have to solder them or do the LMe49990 op-amp snap into the adapters?
Thanks for the help!

They need to be soldered to the adapters. If you don't do it properly there is a high risk of frying your DAC chip. If you're not sure you're better off ordering them already mounted from  Cimarron Tech (pricey) or eBay. U1 & U2 require 2 singles per adapter while U6 & U7 require one single per adapter. http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapterpn020302.aspx
If you want to save a few bucks on a set of Cimarron doubles (U1/U2) you can PM me.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,069 of 1,148
Those extra RCA looks bling.  What is the reasoning behind the extra RCA in the back?

Quote:
I like the bling on mine better though
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah I think it is better to maintain consistency throughout than to get the AES/EBU for the sake of getting it. So far, there are only a few USB/SPDIF converters that offer AES/EBU output. Considering the fact that good performing AES/EBU cable need not cost a bomb, those looking for an upgrade for their computer audio should definitely consider this option =)

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,071 of 1,148
Welll that didn't last long only a couple hours the Minimax has been purchased...

Ok guys I will give you guys the chance first before I post this on audiogone and ebay..

Im selling my Minimax original she is just a bit over a year old

Only mods:
Silver fuse
Mullard tube
running OPA627 opamps and AD797's

The unit will include a Psvane tube, a RCA tube the Mullard of course and a boatload of Opamps..

Just send me your best offer via message and I will let ya know I usually discount things quite well so hit me :)

Scary out

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,072 of 1,148

Quote:
Those extra RCA looks bling.  What is the reasoning behind the extra RCA in the back?

Oh I use my DAC for both my speaker and headphone setup so it would be great to have 2 RCA outputs on my DAC. (I haven't hook up the 2nd pair of RCA cable when I took that photo)

RCA splitter will drop the signal strength and negatively affect the SQ so a way to solve that problem is to create a 2nd audio output path.
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #1,073 of 1,148

Quote:
Ok guys I will give you guys the chance first before I post this on audiogone and ebay..

Im selling my Minimax original she is just a bit over a year old

Only mods:
Silver fuse
Mullard tube
running OPA627 opamps and AD797's

The unit will include a Psvane tube, a RCA tube the Mullard of course and a boatload of Opamps..

Just send me your best offer via message and I will let ya know I usually discount things quite well so hit me :)

Scary out

What are you replacing it with?

May 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,075 of 1,148
Quote:
Hello Turn&Cough,
Any updates on the CCS Kit ? I am very much interested to your initial impressions.
Be well!

I'll get around to it but for now they're still sitting in un-assembled form on my desk. A fellow DIYer installed them but finds they add too much gain in his system. However he does find that they bring the best out of the tube.

May 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,078 of 1,148
Quote:
Anybody implemented the CCS Kit yet?  I am interested to know your feedback.  

Hi levir,
I can see that you are getting restless. I too am waiting for somebody to guide me on how to remove the small surface mounted regulators that feed the ES9018 chip without destroying my board and install some Belleson Low Power regs.
I also would like to give the CCS kits a crack but my DAC is sounding really nice as is and based on a friend's comment (below) I'm still debating if I want to pull the board AGAIN only to realize I've made a mistake.

Quote:
You might like the ccs on the tube.  Distortion is reduced and the tube operates at its optimum. it is just a bad match for my system(gain wise).

May 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,079 of 1,148
Thanks T&C.  I have them in my DAC.  The CCS kit made a huge impact in the dynamics of the tube output.  I only listen to the tube output that is why I am interested to hear the impression from those who had Belleson regulators installed and other non-Wayne of Boulder mods.  
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,080 of 1,148
Quote:
Thanks T&C.  I have them in my DAC.  The CCS kit made a huge impact in the dynamics of the tube output.  I only listen to the tube output that is why I am interested to hear the impression from those who had Belleson regulators installed and other non-Wayne of Boulder mods.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you elaborate on how the CSS kit is installed? Is it as simple as replacing the 15k resistors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back