Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
May 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #122 of 1,148
New version in the works eh? Looks like it will be a monster DAC. My current modded version is the best source I've ever heard.

May 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #123 of 1,148
has anyone compared the minimax to the Meier stagedac?

May 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #125 of 1,148
I finally got around to trying the AD823ANZ opamps. I've been rolling them along with the Brown Dogged LME49990, LME49720 on U1 & U2 and  LME49710 in U6 & U7. Couldn't quite decide which ones I liked best until last night I popped in a pair of OPA2604 which I had originally dismissed as being too dark.  I listened to that combination for 4 hrs last night and am still listening to it as I'm typing and as it turns out -  they are the winners. They're providing plenty of detail without sounding too dry or clinical.  I guess Doug was right after all about the OPA2604.
I must mention that I changed speakers since I first tried them which may account for the improved synergy.
I also rolled a number of tubes including a Gold Lion, a NOS Mullard and a Pavane. Right now the Pavane is sounding pretty good but I'll be giving the Mullard another go later on.

May 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #126 of 1,148
I finally got around to trying the AD823ANZ opamps. I've been rolling them along with the Brown Dogged LME49990, LME49720 on U1 & U2 and  LME49710 in U6 & U7. Couldn't quite decide which ones I liked best until last night I popped in a pair of OPA2604 which I had originally dismissed as being too dark.  I listened to that combination for 4 hrs last night and am still listening to it as I'm typing and as it turns out -  they are the winners. They're providing plenty of detail without sounding too dry or clinical.  I guess Doug was right after all about the OPA2604.
I must mention that I changed speakers since I first tried them which may account for the improved synergy.
I also rolled a number of tubes including a Gold Lion, a NOS Mullard and a Pavane. Right now the Pavane is sounding pretty good but I'll be giving the Mullard another go later on.

Yeah as in Audio it all depends on the sum of components. The 2604's for me were too dark but I'm glad you found what works for you..Ive been thinking about trying some discrete opamps kinda expensive.
I changed my tubes in my Lyr so now things are a bit bright think I will pop the 2604's in and see how I like the combo.. :D

May 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #128 of 1,148
I also like the AD823 in the Minimax DAC.  I have tried the 2604 and a BrownDog OPA627AU and find the AD823 to achieve the right balance of tone, soundstage and inner detail. 

I am using a Mullard CV4003 in the tube stage. 

The rest of my system:

Mac Mini
JKenny HiFace
Minimax DAC
DarkVoice DV337
Beyer T1

If I can find a flaw it is the presentation is a little forward for my liking.  That could change as the AD823 settles in.

May 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #129 of 1,148
I also like the AD823 in the Minimax DAC.  I have tried the 2604 and a BrownDog OPA627AU and find the AD823 to achieve the right balance of tone, soundstage and inner detail. 

The rest of my system:

Mac Mini
JKenny HiFace
Minimax DAC
DarkVoice DV337
Beyer T1

If I can find a flaw it is the presentation is a little forward for my liking.  That could change as the AD823 settles in.

Since I changed the tube in my Lyr its harder and harder to discern the difference in opamps I just put the Opa2604's back in and really did not notice a difference ohh dear I think I am driving myself crazy

May 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #130 of 1,148

The rest of my system:

Mac Mini
JKenny HiFace
Minimax DAC
DarkVoice DV337
Beyer T1

Since I changed the tube in my Lyr its harder and harder to discern the difference in opamps I just put the Opa2604's back in and really did not notice a difference ohh dear I think I am driving myself crazy

OK thats it, time for discrete opamp trial this will cost some money but the new Eastern Electric Dac doesn't come out until September so time to make the minimax discrete and try that hahahaha.

My current setup:
Quad core processor windows 7
HT| omega claro + simultaneous optical and coax out
Coax out
minimax Dac
Shiit Lyr
Norse cable
LCD-2's

May 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #131 of 1,148

Quote:

I've heard many things change from burn-in, but opamps are not one of them. Don't hold your breath.

Quote:

Not a very transparent amp then. It's easy to discern differences among opamps for me.

(I use a Siemens Silverplate tube BTW).

May 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #132 of 1,148

What do you think of this tube in the Minimax DAC?  I understand it to have very good HF extension but is it bright at all?  Is the presentation forward or laid back? 

Thanks

May 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #133 of 1,148
I went back to the AD823's the 2604 reared its dark head after a bit. The Lyr is fairly transparent as with anything, I posted that I did not notice a change after 5 minutes of listening I do hear it now..
IM running the prasnav tube I haven't noticed that much of a change with tubes in the minimax but then I haven't really rolled much. The change to the opamps makes the bigger difference IMHO. Im thinking of going with dual mono 797's mounted to a dual in U1 and 2 to give that a try..

May 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #134 of 1,148

Quote:

What do you think of this tube in the Minimax DAC?  I understand it to have very good HF extension but is it bright at all?  Is the presentation forward or laid back? 

Thanks

I haven't done any comparisons with the stock tube yet, but I don't find it bright at all. It just sounds neutral, but adds tube richness in the mids over the SS output (more liquid, holographic).

May 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #135 of 1,148
BTW, try the LT1364...its sound is in between that of the LME49990 and the OPA2604. If you feel the 2604 is too dark and dry and 49990 too bright and lean, the LT1364 provides a middle ground in tone and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back