Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
May 29, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #153 of 1,148
For those of you wanting to try the dual 797's in the U1 and U2 spot

There is a great deal on ebay right now 28.00 for two that's alot cheaper than what cimmaron wanted they wanted 96.00 for two

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-2x-Mono-Dual-OPAMP-2x-AD797-NE5532-OPA2604-/270734866734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f090e392e

May 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #154 of 1,148
That is a great price.  Do you know the difference between the ad797a and ad797b? 

May 30, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #155 of 1,148
From my understanding there is not that much of a difference some say the b version has a vinyl sound for whatever thats worth.

Ive had both and can't differentiate the difference

I found out the B version just has higher temperature ability no sound change

May 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #157 of 1,148

Quote:
I see you no longer have the Buffalo32. Can you compare your older DAC with the MiniMax a bit?

Despite using the same DAC chip (ESS9018) these two DACs sound quite different. The B32 is gone because I strongly prefer the Minimax (mine's modded...info in profile).

-Tone is more natural...the B32 was cooler and leaner in comparison.
-More liquid (both SS and tube output). The B32 was definitely drier.
-Soundstage was the Buffalo's strong suit, yet I feel the Minimax still has the edge here. (Soundstage is greatly affected by opamps...with stock opamps, I think the soundstage is a bit smaller than the B32)
-Though the sound can be changed significantly with opamps, I feel the EE DAC is almost invariably fuller sounding.

The gap between the two widens even moreso when comparing the USB inputs. I really didn't like the USB implementation of the TPA Buffalo DACs. (I normally use coax from jkeny HiFace).

A friend asked me about the EE in comparison to the y2 and B32 and I told him that the EE really combines the things I liked about both DACs...

May 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #158 of 1,148

Quote:
Despite using the same DAC chip (ESS9018) these two DACs sound quite different. The B32 is gone because I strongly prefer the Minimax (mine's modded...info in profile).

-Soundstage was the Buffalo's strong suit, yet I feel the Minimax still has the edge here. (Soundstage is greatly affected by opamps...with stock opamps, I think the soundstage is a bit smaller than the B32)
-Though the sound can be changed significantly with opamps, I feel the EE DAC is almost invariably fuller sounding.

The gap between the two widens even moreso when comparing the USB inputs. I really didn't like the USB implementation of the TPA Buffalo DACs. (I normally use coax from jkeny HiFace).

A friend asked me about the EE in comparison to the y2 and B32 and I told him that the EE really combines the things I liked about both DACs...

The Minimax is great for those that don't mind the almost infinite sound possibilities you can get changing the tube or changing the opamp's, give's one total control over the final output. For some this is too much and they want just a stand alone dac with a finite sound. I love the Minimax because I can tailor my sound any way I want. hahaha even though at times it drives me crazy
biggrin.gif

its a tweakers dream

May 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #159 of 1,148

Quote:
The Minimax is great for those that don't mind the almost infinite sound possibilities you can get changing the tube or changing the opamp's, give's one total control over the final output. For some this is too much and they want just a stand alone dac with a finite sound. I love the Minimax because I can tailor my sound any way I want. hahaha even though at times it drives me crazy
biggrin.gif

its a tweakers dream

You can say that again, MrScary. I'm waiting for my Op-Amps from "Brown Dog Sales"............I'm going with the LME 49990's and just for a different sound the AD 797B op-amps.. I really noticed a blacker back ground or  just plain QUIETER sound coming off of my JKenny Mk 2 hiface using the BNC to the Bnc into the E.E.Dac..... Now thanks to a great audiophile friend of mine who came up Sat. for a listen, with boxes of cables.  ICS, Big buck power cables, High $$ BNC to BNC cables, 3 different Digital cables to compare with my (creative concept "Green Hornet") digital and I must say his Top $$$ BNC to BNC sounds the best......This suggestion came from the Head-Fier "Bubu1 who said try the BNC cable...... I also Have Tom to thank for taking this old Vinyl only guy to the "DARK SIDE" as we call Hi Res Downloads!! Tom  convinced me with his system (Difference is he uses the KILLER Headroom "Big Dog" Dac)...   All in all, I am very Happy with the sound of this dac........ But remember all of the other gear in this system has been chosen to compliment each other to produce the best sound from this medium.......... PS also at a Great Price!

May 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #160 of 1,148

Give your opamps time to break in, I guarantee they will sound different with more hours on them....the soundstage will change for sure.

Quote:
Having spent more time with the AD823, I have to say it is "almost" the right chip. 

Positives:  Sweet upper mids, clear midrange, full and controlled bass.  This chip gets the tone right and it is dynamic.  Instrument separation is excellent with a lot of air around individual performers.

Negative:  The soundstage is huge but oddly shaped.  It is extremely wide but has little depth.  In addition, I get the feeling I am on stage with the performers.  I can "see" them to my left and right and slighly in front of me.  At times they are behind me.  It is somewhat disconcerting.

I would love to find an opamp that sounds like the AD823 but with a deeper (and pushed back) soundstage.

May 31, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #161 of 1,148

Quote:

Thanks, Shahrose. I didn't really like the Buffalo II either.

May 31, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #163 of 1,148
Can I ask....do any of you guys use your Minimax with a amplifier and speakers??  If so, do you also use a preamp or only the MM??

I could use it with my amp and speakers but I have dedicated for headphone use I'm sure someone here has. I spend 90% my time with headphones as I work from home for IBM so IM on the puter all the time.

May 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #164 of 1,148

Quote:
Can I ask....do any of you guys use your Minimax with a amplifier and speakers??  If so, do you also use a preamp or only the MM??

This is a concern/question brought up on other audio forums as well. The thing is, the EE DAC sounds better with a pre-amp into an amp. A buffer also provides similar improvements. Alex from EE said the Minimax DAC isn't an ideal preamp because of its high output impedance, hence the recommendation for a pre/buffer which matches impedances between the source and amp.

My friend used to use his modded (same as mine) EE DAC directly into a power amp, but now uses a buffer in between and he says the sound's much better.

May 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #165 of 1,148

Quote:

I do and really listen to my main system more then my head phone rig that's separate.... I just use a longer (12ft) IC to go to my main systems preamp (Chris Ivan Tube Line stage).. This dac is unreal for the money, and for the money don't wait until your warranty runs out to change the Op- Amps and to also add the tweaks.... But remember try to make each addition of cables and all other associated equipment compliment all of your gear to get every last drop of music from your system.........Now, I just need some break in time...........  So hook it up to your main system if you can....... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back