EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Dec 11, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #181 of 1,557
  Anyone able to compare the them physically with the sm64 in regareds to overall size and insertion depth? Thanks!

As an owner of both, the Velvet's housing seems slightly larger. The sm64 is shaped more like an oval while the velvet is shaped more like a rounded cube. As for insertion, sm64 has a smaller nozzle and will fit in slightly deeper. I was never happy with the multi flange tips that came with the sm64 but I find the double flange working surprisingly well with me the past couple days on the velvet so I do have excellent isolation. I'm surprised because I have never had a good experience with double flanges.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #182 of 1,557
  As an owner of both, the Velvet's housing seems slightly larger. The sm64 is shaped more like an oval while the velvet is shaped more like a rounded cube. As for insertion, sm64 has a smaller nozzle and will fit in slightly deeper. I was never happy with the multi flange tips that came with the sm64 but I find the double flange working surprisingly well with me the past couple days on the velvet so I do have excellent isolation. I'm surprised because I have never had a good experience with double flanges.

Thanks for that comparison. Any thoughts on how they compare soundwise?

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #183 of 1,557
  Sent mine back yesterday. I bought them from HIDEF Lifestyle via Amazon and HIDEF was great about the return. They gave me a refund and will call when the replacement batch arrives.

Such a shame, as the Velvet is a really unique and excellent IEM.

Just received Velvets from the new batch. Cosmetically perfect.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #185 of 1,557

So you mean the new version is fine with the shell ?

Seems to be. I will be using them a lot over the next few days just to make sure. If there are any problems, I will post.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #187 of 1,557

Thanks for that comparison. Any thoughts on how they compare soundwise?

I'll make it short and keep to the point. Larger soundstage on the Velvet. Overall more bass quantity on the Velvet. Speed is similar. Dips seems to be around similar points as the sm64 but not as deep and the Velvet's do have a peak somewhere up near 7kHz I think. Velvet's are more prone to sibilance but is bearable. Treble extension seems to be slightly more with the sm64. Velvet still has that Earsonics sound signature characteristics. Soundwise, Velvet's may be closest to what fits my tastes and allows to me to enjoy music more. Before it was sm64 and then af180.

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #189 of 1,557
Joe did a comparative mini review. Check on theheadphonelist

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #193 of 1,557
Yeah the link is not obvious on his website. 

It's https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheheadphonelist.com%2Fcustom-in-ear-monitors-reviews-list%2Fcustom-in-ear-monitors-review-previews%2F&ei=V6CgVNqIFsLamAWnroGwBA&usg=AFQjCNGVR5z-UFq6EXixodYxJrjUs7H_wA&sig2=ThxbIlxbwCLYKpYiXHgMQg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.dGY 

On another note, the Velvets just arrived! 

Noticeable scratches on the right side :frowning2: 
I'm hoping it doesn't develop into a cracked shell. 

Dunno if you can tell, but there's a deep scratch just below the logo

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #194 of 1,557
They sound a hell lot better than the SM3 V2's. 

At first they sounded off, cos I was used to vocal being up close and personal rather than the conventional soundstage presentation. The sensitivity is also lower, as I had to turn up the volume to match the sound level reached on the SM3's.

Once my ears adapted to the sound signature, I could hear so much more detail that I did not exist in tracks. 

(My impression is based on the neutral switch)

Bass is fast and accurate, enough to catch up with a lot of the alternative rock that I listen to. I can hear amazing details on which part of the drum is being struck. Sub bass is powerful but not enough to drown out mids or highs. It's just present. 

Mids still have the earsonics house sound. Lush and slightly forward. Sound separation from the different voices heard is also amazing. Velvet's ability to project the different voices (Imaging?) is superior to the SM3's in every way. 

The high's are also more detailed. Treble is more detailed, though not as laid back as the SM3's. Extension is pretty good. 

When I switched it over to the warm sig, the sound was very imbalanced. The left earpiece just sounds off and muted. Like there is something wrong with the iem. Switching to the tight sig, which is supposed to boost the mids doesn't sound good either. 

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the sound. Not too impressed with the build quality though. Noticed so many scratches on the right ear piece. I'm hoping that hasn't affected the sound of the other signatures due to the switch. Hopefully it doesn't develop into scratches. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back