EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Nov 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #166 of 1,557
Even the demo in my local earphone shop is cracked LOL
they want to send them (including mine) all back to Earsonics and dont want to change a new pair for me directly as they afraid that the new pair may also break later...

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #167 of 1,557
Yeah I think the defective batch is larger than what you were told by the rep.

So I placed my order directly to Earsonics on Monday but no word yet on my order being shipped. How long does it normally take?

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #168 of 1,557
Sent mine back yesterday. I bought them from HIDEF Lifestyle via Amazon and HIDEF was great about the return. They gave me a refund and will call when the replacement batch arrives.

Such a shame, as the Velvet is a really unique and excellent IEM.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #170 of 1,557
  Sent mine back yesterday. I bought them from HIDEF Lifestyle via Amazon and HIDEF was great about the return. They gave me a refund and will call when the replacement batch arrives.

Such a shame, as the Velvet is a really unique and excellent IEM.

Great to see things are turning out well to you.

If you can, please let us know when the replacement (hopefull non-defective) batch arrives. Having heard the SM64, this surely seems like a very interesting IEM!

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #171 of 1,557
The silence in here is deafening........

Would love to see that full review from average_joe!  Hope it gets posted soon.
etysmile.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #173 of 1,557
Hi all, thought i'd chime in on my initial impressions of the Velvets after receiving them on Friday. I've mostly listened to them on the neutral setting, so my impressions will be based on this. I'll write up a proper review in the next few weeks when I get some spare time on my hands. 

This is the first time i've listened to an Earsonics product. I must firstly comment that the bass response is amazing. It really surprised me when I first put these on. The bass reaches deep and is huge, but never bathing the upper registers. It has great slam and the decay is just right so things sound natural. I very much prefer the bass response on the Velvet compared to my previously owned JH Audio Roxanne unis, I might even go as far as to say these are the best bass response i've heard so far in an IEM, comparing to my current collection that is. Treble is slightly laid back and well rounded, its one of those IEMs that are what I call "sibilant-resistant". If you're looking for analytical, the Velvets are not it, I would characterise them as warm and fun sounding. Sound staging is average for the Velvets, certainly not 1p2 wide, maybe a little smaller than the UM Miracles. 

Now the shell cracking issue. I've noticed on the right shell there appears to be a tiny hairline crack just above the ES logo. Whether this will worsen only time will tell, but I am prepared to notify Earsonics should it worsen. Build quality was to me, disappointing, especially for an IEM of $700~ They already had hairline scratches all over out of the box, and to be honest, I could have passed their build off as a cheap Chinese-built pair of earphones if I had not known. 

Rantings aside, I am really enjoying their sound, they are definitely up-there with the big boys. For those concerned on the build quality, I would perhaps wait until ES remedies the shelling issue. 

EDIT: With closer inspection of the 'crack' with a magnifying glass, it seems that it may actually be a small seam where separate shelling plates were joined/glued together. Its still concerning, because its very visible on the right shell, and not seen on the left shell. I'll keep a close eye on it and report back any findings. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #175 of 1,557

I'm quite certain its the housing. But as mentioned earlier, I think what i'm seeing is a fine seam between the housing joints. I'm just hoping it doesn't open up further, or serve as a weak point for cracks to form. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #177 of 1,557
It definitely is. The shell quality is rather shocking. Its a real shame, given how good they sound. Amongst what i've heard thus far, I rate them on par with my custom Miracles, which are my current #1. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #178 of 1,557
Hey, mistakes happen.

Earsonics has stated they had an error in their production process, has recalled defective stock from their dealers, and are replacing bad units under warranty.

We'll have to wait on the corrected product to get a true feel for the Velvet's build quality.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #179 of 1,557
Amazon has the new version of the Velvet,
with new shell.

Product Description

Please note: These are the new version of the Velvet with new shells. A sleeker look and sound achieved through the carefully selected material, the Velvet will astound you with the balance and care put into its design. Earsonics has taken great care with the new profile with beveled cannula guide that's innovative and combines comfort and maximum sound performance. With the new switch, the Velvet offers three options for listening. It will become an indispensible companion for the mobile user and can adapt to different players available in the market through its ability to change the signature color and sound.

$749.00 + Free Shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back