EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Mar 9, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #1,471 of 1,557
I have spent some time with the v2 and v1 comparing them back to back.  v2 sounds a bit more "neutral" (if you can call it that)

The new v2 sounds different from the old one while retaining most of the v1 character.  wide sound stage,details, fun sound are the same.
The most noticeable change is that the mids and especially vocals are more prominent(v1 vocals always felt a bit distant and thin), and the bass and treble not as boosted as before.  This may be a good or bad thing depending on the music you listen to.

One good thing about the less extreme bass and treble is that it makes the switch tuning more usable and useful.  On the v1 if you set the switch to either max settings I personally felt that those settings were not very useable since the bass or treble would be too polarizing.  On the v2 with the switch on either max settings you still get an enjoyable listening experience, with noticeable different sound signature.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,472 of 1,557
  I have spent some time with the v2 and v1 comparing them back to back.  v2 sounds a bit more "neutral" (if you can call it that)

The new v2 sounds different from the old one while retaining most of the v1 character.  wide sound stage,details, fun sound are the same.
The most noticeable change is that the mids and especially vocals are more prominent(v1 vocals always felt a bit distant and thin), and the bass and treble not as boosted as before.  This may be a good or bad thing depending on the music you listen to.

One good thing about the less extreme bass and treble is that it makes the switch tuning more usable and useful.  On the v1 if you set the switch to either max settings I personally felt that those settings were not very useable since the bass or treble would be too polarizing.  On the v2 with the switch on either max settings you still get an enjoyable listening experience, with noticeable different sound signature.

Thanks for your impressions. I mostly used V1 on balanced setting but warm setting might be the better option for V2 based on your impressions.

When you mean more prominent mids, do you mean lower-mid mids or upper mids? I like lower-mid mids but prominent upper mids can be too fatiguing to me.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #1,473 of 1,557
  Thanks for your impressions. I mostly used V1 on balanced setting but warm setting might be the better option for V2 based on your impressions.

When you mean more prominent mids, do you mean lower-mid mids or upper mids? I like lower-mid mids but prominent upper mids can be too fatiguing to me.

I would say both.  mids and vocals no longer sound thin, tinny, distant(that was the only thing I didn't particularly like about v1, vocals no longer sound "artificial" anymore, its more lush now).....v2 is noticeably less v/u shaped as it was before.  

if you are able to compare v1 to v2 back to back, the differences are very obvious.  I think more ppl will like the v2, it will appeal to more ppl.  but if you are a sub/bass lover, I think you will prefer v1.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,474 of 1,557
I would say both.  mids and vocals no longer sound thin, tinny, distant(that was the only thing I didn't particularly like about v1, vocals no longer sound "artificial" anymore, its more lush now).....v2 is noticeably less v/u shaped as it was before.  

if you are able to compare v1 to v2 back to back, the differences are very obvious.  I think more ppl will like the v2, it will appeal to more ppl.  but if you are a sub/bass lover, I think you will prefer v1.

Very useful info.

Isn't the use of the switch enough for getting more sub bass if you want?

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,476 of 1,557
  yes, it works well.  But the bass on v1 on max warm setting is more than v2 max setting.  Just trying to explain the different bass amount b/w the two.   i prefer v2...it is more versatile with different kinds of music.

Would you say V2 sounds more forgiving and natural than V1? V1 tended to sound a bit digital sometimes compared to something like K10 or SM64, more BA-ish.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,477 of 1,557

Would you say V2 sounds more forgiving and natural than V1? V1 tended to sound a bit digital sometimes compared to something like K10 or SM64, more BA-ish.

more natural than v1.  you are exactly right.  v1 sounded digital, like a synthesizer sometimes.  v2 is less so.  I still wouldn't call it natural sounding though.  It sounds like a mix of the old velvet and ES3

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,478 of 1,557
  more natural than v1.  you are exactly right.  v1 sounded digital, like a synthesizer sometimes.  v2 is less so.  I still wouldn't call it natural sounding though.  It sounds like a mix of the old velvet and ES3

Thanks so much... You should write a review. 
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,479 of 1,557

Sorry for the offtopic but could you perhaps describe the sound signature of the ES3?

Thx in advance.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,480 of 1,557
Sorry for the offtopic but could you perhaps describe the sound signature of the ES3?

Thx in advance.

like a slightly less detailed slightly warmer version of S-EM9.  It really is a baby S-EM9 like many people have said...its very good value for the sound.
S-EM9 is super detailed, super analytical, fast and precise, large stage, goes well with all types of music.  ES3 is like 80-85% of the performance 

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,481 of 1,557

Thx in advance.

like a slightly less detailed slightly warmer version of S-EM9.  It really is a baby S-EM9 like many people have said...its very good value for the sound.
S-EM9 is super detailed, super analytical, fast and precise, large stage, goes well with all types of music.  ES3 is like 80-85% of the performance 

Thank you. :D

Enviado desde mi H1

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,484 of 1,557
Hey guys, what are the recommended sources for the Velvet, to unleash their full potential?

A FiiO X5 III could be a good option, as well as a Cayin i5 or if you don't need Android in your dap, something from Opus, A&K...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back